FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   [Alaska Airlines NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free) (2010-2014) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/1142410-alaska-airlines-newbie-lounge-ask-your-questions-here-flame-free-2010-2014-a.html)

beckoa May 29, 2012 5:11 pm

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I don't think CX allows KA redemptions using AS miles.

apodo77 May 29, 2012 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by beckoa (Post 18662864)
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's PWP wondrousdevice3.0: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.0.0.583 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

I don't think CX allows KA redemptions using AS miles.

I will probably call to find out for sure tomorrow but the KA flights I am looking at also have CX flight numbers as well.

KA Flight 215 is also CX 6805

jackal May 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by apodo77 (Post 18663618)
I will probably call to find out for sure tomorrow but the KA flights I am looking at also have CX flight numbers as well.

KA Flight 215 is also CX 6805

That's probably a codeshare flight number. I highly doubt you'll be able to do this redemption. Worth checking, though--just don't get your hopes up too much...

economyplusfan May 29, 2012 8:40 pm

No seats?

AS 858 OGG-SEA on June 3 is showing no seats on the entire plane, and yet the AS web site will sell me three seats in Y or C. This message comes up after entering pax details: "All seats available for pre-assignment are taken. Please see an Airport Customer Service Agent on the day of departure for a seat assignment. Seats may also become available within 24 hours of departure at check-in." What the heck does that mean? Is it code for "this flight is oversold?"

jackal May 29, 2012 9:03 pm

Originally Posted by economyplusfan (Post 18663824)
AS 858 OGG-SEA on June 3 is showing no seats on the entire plane, and yet the AS web site will sell me three seats in Y or C. This message comes up after entering pax details: "All seats available for pre-assignment are taken. Please see an Airport Customer Service Agent on the day of departure for a seat assignment. Seats may also become available within 24 hours of departure at check-in." What the heck does that mean? Is it code for "this flight is oversold?"

Not necessarily. AS holds several seats back for assignment at the airport (the row in front of the exit row, IIRC, among others).

That said, if they are 5 days out and an MVPG can't pick seats, you know the flight is going to be very full. Only AS employees can see whether the flight is actually authorized to be overbooked, but there is a nonzero chance that your flight could end up oversold at the departure gate.

Do note that people without assigned seats are the first to be IDBed off the flight if no one takes a VDB. IDBs are processed in reverse order of check-in time (with no regard to elite status, stupidly, IMNSHO), so if you can't afford a delay to OGG, be sure to check in as close to T-24 as possible. That way, you'll at least be at the back of the line for IDBs behind others who also do not have seat assignments and will be more likely to get one of the seats held for airport assignment and on your way to OGG.

Conversely, if you want a nice wad of cold, hard cash, wait until you show up at the airport to check in. ;)

baliktad May 29, 2012 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by economyplusfan (Post 18663824)

In additional to jackal's sage advice, let me refer you AS' published policies around IDB/VDB. Note that you can call AS at any time and they will (honestly) tell you whether or not the flight is oversold at that moment, and by how many. This can help you gauge how worried you should be.

tirby May 30, 2012 7:07 am

Newbie with only a week to decide.HELP

I am so confused on the wallet credit from Alaska airline. (this is my first time dealing with flights) So my delema.
I have a trip (non refundable) set for JUNE 9th 2012 I have to cancel the trip. But in canceling I am paying $75 per ticket to get the credit in my wallet. so 3 tickets paying total of $225 to cancel trip.....
NOW the question. I purchased the tickets September 13th 2011.
So with the 1 year expiration date is that on canceled tickets put into wallet as credit......is it,
1 year from date of PURCHASE (Sept 13)
OR
1 year from date I was going to travel? (June 9)

If it is September then I wont pay the fee because I CANT travel before then.. If it is date of original Flight (june) then I would be ok.
Thank you for you help.. I wish I would have fund this site a month or two ago! now its scramble time!

apodo77 May 30, 2012 8:10 am

Originally Posted by jackal (Post 18663751)
That's probably a codeshare flight number. I highly doubt you'll be able to do this redemption. Worth checking, though--just don't get your hopes up too much...

Probably so but never hurts to ask. Worst they can say is no. :D

Westcoaster May 30, 2012 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by tirby (Post 18665723)
I am so confused on the wallet credit from Alaska airline. (this is my first time dealing with flights) So my delema.
I have a trip (non refundable) set for JUNE 9th 2012 I have to cancel the trip. But in canceling I am paying $75 per ticket to get the credit in my wallet. so 3 tickets paying total of $225 to cancel trip.....
So with the 1 year expiration date is that on canceled tickets put into wallet as credit......is it,
OR

If it is September then I wont pay the fee because I CANT travel before then.. If it is date of original Flight (june) then I would be ok.
Thank you for you help.. I wish I would have fund this site a month or two ago! now its scramble time!

I could make a guess based on past experiences but I'd be more comfortable suggesting to you that you call AS and see what they say based on their review of your tickets. This sounds like an important decision for you so you want to base it on the best possible information.

You can always post their response here so you can get feedback regarding whether it sounds right based on people's experiences.

Or maybe someone else here feels confident about giving you a response based on what you've posted and will add their comments. Good luck.

And by the way, welcome to Flyertalk!

seacarl May 31, 2012 8:29 am

Originally Posted by tirby (Post 18665723)
OR

As a Gold, I don't have to pay the $75 fee to cancel and put the credit in my wallet. My experience has been that the wallet credit shows an expiration date one year from the date of the original itcket purchase. I don't think your new travel has to occur by then, but that you have to use the wallet credit to purchase a ticket by this date. So that means you would need to be able to purchase future travel by June 9.

As other posters have said, you should call to confirm this is correct.

lex12 Jun 2, 2012 4:34 pm

Free Checked Bags Option

Hi everyone,

This is a shot in the dark, but I have a flight from SJC-LIH on Monday morning on Alaska that I booked w/BA points. My wife really wants to check a bag. I looked at the baggage policy online and it looks like if you are a Club 49 member (live in Alaska), have elite status on AA, Delta, are flying 1st class or a few other things, they will waive the $20 charge. I don't qualify under any of those criteria, and don't have status on any airline. The closest I have is a 470,000 Million Miler balance on AA, which I don't think will help me.

Any backdoor ideas on getting a bag checked for free?

Thanks!

kwl747 Jun 2, 2012 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by lex12 (Post 18686843)
Hi everyone,

This is a shot in the dark, but I have a flight from SJC-LIH on Monday morning on Alaska that I booked w/BA points. My wife really wants to check a bag. I looked at the baggage policy online and it looks like if you are a Club 49 member (live in Alaska), have elite status on AA, Delta, are flying 1st class or a few other things, they will waive the $20 charge. I don't qualify under any of those criteria, and don't have status on any airline. The closest I have is a 470,000 Million Miler balance on AA, which I don't think will help me.

Any backdoor ideas on getting a bag checked for free?

Thanks!

*Sometimes* AS will waive the charge for checking a bag at the gate to save overhead bin space. However, this means that the checked luggage would have to be small enough that it could just go in the overhead bins anyway.

$20 is $5 cheaper than most airlines, and Alaska has a 20 minute bag guarantee, if the bags are not at baggage claim within 20 minutes of arrival, AS pays $20 or 2000 miles. Matter in fact, many times I have been the first person off the plane and my bags still beat me to baggage claim. Additional fees are annoying but with AS you are paying for a great service.

That $20 will be cheap compared to shipping charges for any souvenir you might buy on your trip.

Eujeanie Jun 2, 2012 5:26 pm

We just got back from Hawaii. Everything is expensive there. $40 will be a drop in the bucket.

But a suggestion...if you're going to check a bag, make it worth your while. Make it a BIG bag. Let her take as many shoes, purses, changes of outfits as she wants. Don't make her cram everything she needs into a couple of carry-ons.

lex12 Jun 2, 2012 11:44 pm

Got it. I will just relent to paying the $40.

apodo77 Jun 4, 2012 11:36 am

I have an upcoming award redemption on Cathay Pacific to HKG.

We leave on a Thursday night from PDX-YVR and then our CX flight is the next day at 3pm.

Do the bags get checked all the way through to HKG or should we pick them up in YVR and check them in again on the day of departure for Cathay flight?