Search

Can't Get an AS Debit w/ B of A

Search this Thread

Old Jul 24, 2010, 9:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Can't Get an AS Debit w/ B of A

So here's my story:

A few year ago I switch my checking account to B of A for the sole purpose of getting the AS debit card. Earlier this year I had an issue with fraud on my account and had to close my existing account for security purposes. I went into the bank and closed my Virginia account, immediately reopening in my current home state of Arkansas. The rep at the bank could not find the AS debit on her screen and said we should pick another card and could get the AS card from home. My wife picked some wildlife card and we finished opening our new account. At home I tried to order the AS debit card, and received a letter about being unable to issue due to the newness of my account. Several months have passed and I applied again. This time I received two replacements for our wildlife cards that we originally received. I emailed B of A and got only a generic response.

Anyone else run into this? Got a solution??
Old Jul 24, 2010, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I recall an agent not being able to find the AS Debit on her screen either. It seems the only way to get it is through the online application. If that's not working, then I'm not sure what to tell you. That seems odd that they wouldn't autoapprove a debit card.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: DL, AS Non-Rev.
Hm, that's odd. I closed my account at the Credit Union I had all my accounts in, walked into Bank of America, signed up for a checking account, and enrolled in the debit program right away.

Maybe it depends what state your account is in?
Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, AS BR, DL, HH Gold
I've had two AS Debit Cards. They can never find it at the bank and will even argue with you that it does not exist. You have to call and request it.
Old Jul 25, 2010, 8:11 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan,KE Morning Calm+ (ST E+),SPG Gold
Originally Posted by SEA-ORDFF
I've had two AS Debit Cards. They can never find it at the bank and will even argue with you that it does not exist. You have to call and request it.
Same.Both my local branch and the phone rep didn't know about it. I was instant approved online for the AS Debit but my account is linked with my moms...and she's had a account with BoA since the mid 80's; my checks and stuff say "Customer since 1985" even though I wasn't even born then
Just do it online...saves a bunch of time and you don't have to go on the phone!
Old Jul 25, 2010, 9:33 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by bakedpatato
Same.Both my local branch and the phone rep didn't know about it. I was instant approved online for the AS Debit but my account is linked with my moms...and she's had a account with BoA since the mid 80's; my checks and stuff say "Customer since 1985" even though I wasn't even born then
Just do it online...saves a bunch of time and you don't have to go on the phone!
I was instant approved for it the day after I turned 18 on an account with no link to any adult with a credit history of any kind. It's a debit card, not a credit card. I don't think credit is even considered in the approval process considering I literally had no score at the time of approval.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:22 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan,KE Morning Calm+ (ST E+),SPG Gold
Originally Posted by dabears1020
I was instant approved for it the day after I turned 18 on an account with no link to any adult with a credit history of any kind. It's a debit card, not a credit card. I don't think credit is even considered in the approval process considering I literally had no score at the time of approval.
Yeah...its your money you're spending after all
But OP mentioned problems with the cards due to newness of account...I wanted to make sure all bases were covered!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:25 am

Programs: AS MVP-Gold, Hertz Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
I opened my BoA account a little over a year ago, it took about 20 minutes and I had my Alaska Debit card - I am located in Washington so maybe there are state specific rules however I had no problem.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 12:34 am
Suspended

Do you really spend enough to make it worth being nickle and dimed by scumbags who were one of the leading causes of the financial crisis and took a bunch of money from the government? To boot, unless you're seriously rich, they won't give you good service. You're bay better off with a credit union.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
I'm with thegeneral on this one.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Do you really spend enough to make it worth being nickle and dimed by scumbags who were one of the leading causes of the financial crisis and took a bunch of money from the government?
At 1,000 FF miles a pop for a ticket purchase per person flying on the record, yes.

(My daughter's AS account would be nowhere near as large as it is without BofA bonuses.)

I like credit unions myself. I mainly just transfer money into the BofA account when I want to buy a plane ticket, and don't use it for much else.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 9:29 pm

Programs: AA,DL,BA,UA,SPG, and any other free trip!
on the subject of BofA debit cards, does anyone know the number to call for a status on the BofA Mileage Plan VISA Signature card? I applied a week ago and still have not even received an email

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.