Search

Gold Upgrade Certs

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2010, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, SPG Gold, ICH P Club Plat, Hertz#1 5Star, Marriott Gold
Gold Upgrade Certs

Long time listener, first time caller.

The unthinkable has started happening. The CSRs have actually started collecting these certs! (I've used them a number of times in the past, always pleasantly surprised at not being asked for them).

I'd like to pick up 4 more for 2010. Do people sell them, and if they do, is it legal, and if not, is there any consequence to it. I've never been asked for a cert number at the time I made a reservation, but wondering if this will change too.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Towards the end of the year, people who realize they aren't likely to use (all of) theirs will offer them here as a goodwill gesture.

It's my understanding that next year they're switching to an e-cert system (similar to AA's) where the certs are deducted from your account at check-in.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 10:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Towards the end of the year, people who realize they aren't likely to use (all of) theirs will offer them here as a goodwill gesture.

It's my understanding that next year they're switching to an e-cert system (similar to AA's) where the certs are deducted from your account at check-in.
Very nice. Thank you.
Old Jul 4, 2010, 11:52 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Originally Posted by AKSteveB
Do people sell them, and if they do, is it legal, and if not, is there any consequence to it. I've never been asked for a cert number at the time I made a reservation, but wondering if this will change too.
Yes. No. If caught, yes.

I was asked for a cert # mayby 10% of the time when making a reservation with a cert. No idea if they actually did anything with that info.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:25 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

FWIW, I got my 2011 gold card along with 4 2011 paper certs... So, it is very possible that paper certs are to stay for another year, which makes me

Nice having a "tangible" perk

Last edited by jackal; Jul 5, 2010 at 2:41 am Reason: Edit out non-public code
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by golfingboy
FWIW, I got my 2011 gold card along with 4 2011 paper certs... So, it is very possible that paper certs are to stay for another year, which makes me

Nice having a "tangible" perk
Ooh... if only...

nice tease at lest

Last edited by beckoa; Jul 5, 2010 at 2:35 am Reason: Edit out non-public code in quote
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
I dislike having to remember to bring the certs with me and would prefer an e-cert instead! Is it possible that they might start electronic certs anyway, with issued paper ones as mementos?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I dislike having to remember to bring the certs with me and would prefer an e-cert instead! Is it possible that they might start electronic certs anyway, with issued paper ones as mementos?
I always keep them in my wallet

Understand the efficiency of electronic ones... but its the same for both parties involved... so I prefer paper
Old Jul 5, 2010, 8:51 am

Programs: HH D, AS MM/MVPG for life/AL, Awesome Wipes VIP Club, NEXUS, Hertz 5-Star Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I'll share your joy if the unthinkable stops!
Old Jul 5, 2010, 12:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
I also got the 2011 paper certs. I found it interesting that they actually finally changed the design on the front. It was the first time since I've been receiving them. However, by changing the design on the front, somehow the text on the back reverted to 2003...or at least the reference code used for the certs did. It's always been funny to me how each year the codes on the front and back of the certs are different from each other. I know it's a small thing, but it is somewhat important since that's really all that matters when you're calling up to redeem them.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 1:29 pm
Original Poster

The big advantage for me was, until now they never ever asked for the cert! I've been Gold since 2001. Oh well, all good things must end.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 3:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
On the times they actually asked for them, were you checked in already or did you go up to the counter to check in at the airport? What about when they didn't ask for them?
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dabears1020
On the times they actually asked for them, were you checked in already or did you go up to the counter to check in at the airport? What about when they didn't ask for them?
Unless the call center rep didn't put through the upgrade correctly, you always have to check in with a person when using a cert.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 5:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDKing
Unless the call center rep didn't put through the upgrade correctly, you always have to check in with a person when using a cert.
You definitely can't check in online. I actually didn't think about checking in at the automatic kiosk. I'll try that next time, but I doubt it will work.

In the past I've just always gone to the counter.
Old Jul 5, 2010, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by CDKing
Uh, yes you can. It just gives you a BP that tells you to go to a CSA for assistance with your reservation. So while it may not give you a valid BP, you can at least do it to confirm seats and all the other usual check in stuff.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.