Wiki Posts
Search

Spanish recorded announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2010, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Delta
Spanish recorded announcements

Yesterday I was on MZT-LAX and LAX-PDX, both flights had recorded safety announcements in Spanish. This was the first time I had heard these announcements on AS, but admittedly I haven't flown AS since January (?!?!).

The recording was very loud and the FA actually apologized for not being able to control the volume.

Are these only played at certain originating airports? Fleetwide?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 10:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Every time I can recall flying out of LAX, they played the safety briefing in Spanish as well as English. I figured it's because of all the Mexico flights along with the large Spanish speaking population that flies out of LAX.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 11:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Delta
That is kind of what I figured as well. The system seems really clunky. It started up seemingly by accident on our approach into Portland.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:29 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
I've heard it a bunch of times on LAX-SEA, but never on SEA-LAX. Perhaps they check to see if they have any thru pax from any Mexico flights?
Old Jun 2, 2010, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Baliktad and I were on a southbound flight with the announcement: "Since you all weren't paying full attention, I'm going to repeat the announcement ... in Spanish ... as a woman!"
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
They played the Spanish safety demo on my ANC-LAX red-eye a few years ago. I suppose they could have had a few people connecting to Mexico.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've heard it at different times ex-LAX (never into Mexico since I haven't flown there) and have had it cut off LAX-DCA and maybe another route or two...

I think their system has the 'capability' of more languages if they want... but am uncertain.
Old Jun 2, 2010, 2:17 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Baliktad and I were on a southbound flight with the announcement: "Since you all weren't paying full attention, I'm going to repeat the announcement ... in Spanish ... as a woman!"
Glad you remembered! It's a light-hearted joke, but it comes to mind every time I hear that announcement!
Old Jun 2, 2010, 6:16 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
They played it a few weeks ago on SEA-LAX. That was the first time I'd taken that route, and it instantly made me think of all you LAX guys who call it "T3rd World". That was confirmed upon deplaning in LAX.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
AA seems to play the safety video in EN/SP on all video equipped flights out of SFO - just an observation.

Does AS play announcements in FR to Canada? They should.....
Old Jun 3, 2010, 12:44 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by sigueugis
Does AS play announcements in FR to Canada? They should.....
Why? YYC and YEG is as far east as they go in Canada, and only from SEA. How many French-only speakers could possibly be flying AS to/from LAX/PDX/SEA?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 1:08 am

Programs: AS (former)MVP, DL [NW-WP], AC Aeroplan, Starbucks Gold :)
I know it is not fleetwide since they do not play Spanish announcements on intra-Alaska flights and flights from SEA/PDX to Alaska.

Originally Posted by hgdf
Why? YYC and YEG is as far east as they go in Canada, and only from SEA. How many French-only speakers could possibly be flying AS to/from LAX/PDX/SEA?
English and French are official languages and have equal standing within Canada as codified in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. There are several francophone communities that exist outside Quebéc -- even as far west as BC. About 1.5 years ago when checking in for a QX flight at YVR, I observed that most US airlines, sans AS/QX, had at their check-in counters bilingual signage -- I thought it was a nice gesture on their part.

~FAI PDX Flyer
Old Jun 3, 2010, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by FAIPDXFlyer
I know it is not fleetwide since they do not play Spanish announcements on intra-Alaska flights and flights from SEA/PDX to Alaska.

English and French are official languages and have equal standing within Canada as codified in the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms. There are several francophone communities that exist outside Quebéc -- even as far west as BC. About 1.5 years ago when checking in for a QX flight at YVR, I observed that most US airlines, sans AS/QX, had at their check-in counters bilingual signage -- I thought it was a nice gesture on their part.

~FAI PDX Flyer
It may be codified into law, and there may be a smattering of communities in western Canada whose primary language is French, but I know a few people from western Canada, and none speaks any more than a couple of words of anything other than English.

Good to see you around these parts again!
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Platinum, AVIS First, National Emerald Club
Exactly, when in Rome......
It does not matter where they may use French or where the French may live (as if the Quebeqois never move or travel). It is simply respecting a countries official languages.

If in Switzerland, one should board early to allow time for all official languages.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Originally Posted by sigueugis
Exactly, when in Rome......
It does not matter where they may use French or where the French may live (as if the Quebeqois never move or travel). It is simply respecting a countries official languages.

If in Switzerland, one should board early to allow time for all official languages.
How are those Romansch lessons coming along?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.