Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Anchorage to East Coast Fares - Is Alaska Competitive

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 26, 2010, 12:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG

I was checking out flights and airfares tonight in planning a trip from Anchorage to New England to visit the in-laws and was amazed at the price differences between Alaska and other carriers like Delta and US Air for the summer.

At first I thought it was just a seasonal trend reflecting what the market will support but in some cases their rates were double the cost which truly surprised me.

I've always been a fan of Alaska Airlines but these major price differences do have me looking at other carriers which I never used to do. Has anyone else noticed this trend? I want to remain loyal but cost does matter.
Old May 26, 2010, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by ChugiakAk
I was checking out flights and airfares tonight in planning a trip from Anchorage to New England to visit the in-laws and was amazed at the price differences between Alaska and other carriers like Delta and US Air for the summer.

At first I thought it was just a seasonal trend reflecting what the market will support but in some cases their rates were double the cost which truly surprised me.

I've always been a fan of Alaska Airlines but these major price differences do have me looking at other carriers which I never used to do. Has anyone else noticed this trend? I want to remain loyal but cost does matter.
Eh, you're not the first:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alask...e-program.html
Old May 26, 2010, 6:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It would be hard for me to justify loyalty at a 100% price premium, especially given that on AA and DL, those miles would still go into the AS pile.
Old May 26, 2010, 10:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVPG
That's what I think now, particularly since Alaska has no level of service that really rises above the others in a way that would justify the cost. Time was you could use the AS50 award to bring these fares substantially down but that has pretty much ended with a maximum $200.00 discount that still makes Alaska higher than other carriers.
Old May 26, 2010, 11:44 am

Programs: AS MVP
Sadly, no. Very frequently not competitive. And not just if you're flying back east, either -- pretty much everything out of ANC costs a bundle.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
One has to watch sales and spontaneous fare matching... as AS has matched many of these lower fares at least once this season, if not more... but they don't consistently keep prices low. AS also has less lift (metal) flying to the East Coast and subsequently less to fill up, so I think they probably have fuller flights, and less incentive to discount the few remaining seats. Just a guess.

Those flights that have added quite a bit of lift this summer however have stayed consistently lower such as ANC-ORD, and a lesser degree ANC-LAX and ANC-DEN.
Old May 26, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k / AS Boardroom
Originally Posted by beckoa
..... AS also has less lift (metal) flying to the East Coast and subsequently less to fill up, so I think they probably have fuller flights, and less incentive to discount the few remaining seats. Just a guess.
Agreed. I've found AS to be more expensive on all flights east of the Rockies. Not just out of the state of Alaska either. Out of Seattle if I fly south, AS is competitive, otherwise other airlines have my business due to price. Without a chance (or minuscule) of upgrading (even as gold) there is no incentive to use AS on the longer flights.
Old May 26, 2010, 3:53 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime PP ; Hyatt Globalist ; Nexus
You guys might notice how many transcon flights/seats AS has vs other big legacy carriers. eg. ATLSEA, MSPSEA,ORDSEA. If AS don't need to fill the planes with low fare tickets on their daily 1x/2x B737 like others do for their 5x/6x B757/B767, you are not gonna see cheap fares available.

Last edited by jimmychang; May 26, 2010 at 3:58 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.