Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How long from "curb to gate" at LAX on a Sunday morning?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Too many to list

I'll be flying LAX-BOI, QX 2416, T3, on a Sunday morning (scheduled departure is at 9:20) later this month. No checked luggage and I'll do OLCI at a nearby hotel. How much time would be reasonable to allow from curb to gate? 45 min.? 60 min.? I'd like as much sleep as possible.

TIA!

Last edited by philemer; Apr 9, 2010 at 8:09 pm
Old Apr 9, 2010, 8:45 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by philemer
I'll be flying LAX-BOI, QX 2416, T3, on a Sunday morning (scheduled departure is at 9:20) later this month. No checked luggage and I'll do OLCI at a nearby hotel. How much time would be reasonable to allow from curb to gate? 45 min.? 60 min.? I'd like as much sleep as possible.

TIA!
On a Sunday morning, you'll probably be fine with 45 min.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
With a caveat- sometimes the TSA lines at T3rdWorld are a bit backed up and being a MVPG is for naught (the downstairs TSA station isn't open and everyone gets funneled into the same line, elite or not), and LAX shuttles sometimes stop at multiple hotels (for instance, the one from LAX Westin stops at Holiday Inn and La Quinta before heading to LAX), or have more people waiting in line than will fit on a shuttle... so 45 minutes is probably cutting it fine from departing from your hotel's curb, but doable. I'd add 15 if you're the nervous type.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 10:54 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

45 mins is plenty all days of the week except early Monday or Friday afternoon. Leave your hotel at 8 and you should be fine. If you stay at a hotel with a dedicated shuttle you could probably leave at 8:15.
Old Apr 9, 2010, 11:11 pm

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
45 minutes is probably cutting it fine from departing from your hotel's curb, but doable. I'd add 15 if you're the nervous type.
To clarify, by curb-to-gate I assume you're referring to the airport curb. I don't have a lot of experience with LAX hotel shuttles.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hgdf
To clarify, by curb-to-gate I assume you're referring to the airport curb. I don't have a lot of experience with LAX hotel shuttles.
Yes, airport curb. Thanks for the helpful replies.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Quick tip: take the elevator by the TSA ID checker on the ticket counter level up to the top floor. There is another ID checker up there that no one ever uses and you can bypass the first line just waiting to have their IDs checked. Can save 30-45 minutes on a busy day.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dabears1020
Quick tip: take the elevator by the TSA ID checker on the ticket counter level up to the top floor. There is another ID checker up there that no one ever uses and you can bypass the first line just waiting to have their IDs checked. Can save 30-45 minutes on a busy day.
I'm not very familiar with LAX. Is the "top floor" where the T3 gate is located? Thanks for the tip.
Old Apr 11, 2010, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
I'm not very familiar with LAX. Is the "top floor" where the T3 gate is located? Thanks for the tip.
Correct. You'll see what I mean though. When you get to the security line, there will be a TSA employee checking IDs at the bottom of the stairs and escalators leading up to the actual security checkpoint. This line before the stairs and escalators is what you are probably going to want to avoid. As you walk toward the ID checker as you come from the ticket counter area, the elevator will be on the the left, with the escalators on the right.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dabears1020
Correct. You'll see what I mean though. When you get to the security line, there will be a TSA employee checking IDs at the bottom of the stairs and escalators leading up to the actual security checkpoint. This line before the stairs and escalators is what you are probably going to want to avoid. As you walk toward the ID checker as you come from the ticket counter area, the elevator will be on the the left, with the escalators on the right.
I arrived at 8:20 AM on Sunday and there was only one person in line. Then I went upstairs and there were maybe twp people in each security line. Piece of cake. Arrived at the gate with time to spare. But, the terminal that WN uses was packed!! I'm glad I wasn't flying with them.
Old Apr 28, 2010, 10:25 pm

I arrived at 8:20 AM on Sunday and there was only one person in line. Then I went upstairs and there were maybe twp people in each security line. Piece of cake. Arrived at the gate with time to spare. But, the terminal that WN uses was packed!! I'm glad I wasn't flying with them.
I think they've really cleaned up security at T-3. Used to be they would only have on line open. Last time I was there I think there were 4! That's been a year, but TONS better!
Old Apr 29, 2010, 1:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by johnp012001
I think they've really cleaned up security at T-3. Used to be they would only have on line open. Last time I was there I think there were 4! That's been a year, but TONS better!
Good to hear when making the run to In N Out between flights

No MVPG/F line still though right?
Old Apr 29, 2010, 3:07 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by beckoa
No MVPG/F line still though right?
I am still unclear on this.... Some of us reported [myself included] that we were able to cut the line with our MVPG status, some reported it is not possible...

What I did was:

Ticketing Level

Go to the BP/ID checkpoint and there are signs indicating a line for MVPGs [it is there] and the two middle lanes are reserved for Golds while the two lanes on the outside is for general people...

When you go up the escalator there should be a person that routes people to the front of the line at the top of the escalator. I would show that person my BP and point to the leftmost lane and try this at least twice...

Please share your experience trying to expedite through security...
Old Apr 30, 2010, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I am still unclear on this.... Some of us reported [myself included] that we were able to cut the line with our MVPG status, some reported it is not possible...

What I did was:

Ticketing Level

Go to the BP/ID checkpoint and there are signs indicating a line for MVPGs [it is there] and the two middle lanes are reserved for Golds while the two lanes on the outside is for general people...

When you go up the escalator there should be a person that routes people to the front of the line at the top of the escalator. I would show that person my BP and point to the leftmost lane and try this at least twice...

Please share your experience trying to expedite through security...
There was no one directing us on Sunday. We could pick any of the 3 or 4 lines. Did not see any signs for MVPG/F lines. Of course, it wasn't really busy.
Old May 15, 2010, 9:41 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

FWIW, the security line in T3 was pretty busy at 8PM today.... I am not flying this evening, however, my sister has a flight to catch on AA, so I brought her to the Board Room today...

The ticketing agent gave us both a boarding pass that goes to nowhere , so we can get thru security.

When I went up the escalator, and the agent was directing people to the line and I flashed my MVPG card and she brought us to the left most X-Ray machine line cutting the line completely. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.