Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines Joins the Star Alliance Network (April Fools!!)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska Airlines Joins the Star Alliance Network (April Fools!!)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2010, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Exclamation Alaska Airlines Joins the Star Alliance Network (April Fools!!)

Strategic Network Expansion in the Western Americas and Alaska. New York/Newark Becomes New Star Alliance Hub

NEW YORK CITY, USA – April 1, 2010 – The CEOs of the Star Alliance member carriers today welcomed the alliance’s 26th member: Alaska Airlines. Alaska’s joining Star Alliance will further enhance the alliance’s three main customer benefits: global reach, worldwide recognition and seamless travel. Alaska’s membership follows last year’s announcement of a strategic partnership between Continental and Star Alliance. Experts from both airlines and Star Alliance have been working together over the last 18 months in order to ensure the first successful transition of a major airline from one global alliance to another.

“Bringing Alaska Airlines into Star Alliance has been a truly unique experience. This is the first time an airline has moved directly from an agnostic alliance to another and I would like to thank all those involved in ensuring a smooth switch,” said Jaan Albrecht, CEO Star Alliance. “Our travelers can now begin to appreciate the advantages Alaska brings to the Star Alliance network, while Alaska’s customers now enjoy enhanced alliance benefits.”

“Alaska’s transition to Star Alliance is one of the most important strategic moves we have accomplished in my career at Alaska,” said Chairman and CEO Bill Ayer. “Our membership in Star Alliance positions us to deliver a broader network to our customers, and to achieve better business results and a stronger future for my co-workers, our customers and communities as a result of the benefits from participating in the world’s largest airline alliance.”

Due to the limited overlap between Alaska’s and Star Alliance’s networks, Star Alliance customers now have a choice of 19,500 daily flights serving some 1,071 airports in 171 countries. The main network enhancements are taking place in North America, to and from Latin America, as well as Alaska and the Pacific.

In North America, Alaska adds its two hubs – Seattle and Anchorage – to the network, providing more choice to Star Alliance customers. Alaska Airlines’s extensive Alaska network will increase travel options for Star Alliance customers to Alaska, Hawaii, and the American West Coast.

As part of its Star Alliance membership, Alaska Mileage Plan members will now be able to earn and redeem miles on all other Star Alliance member carriers. MVP Gold and MVP Gold 75K elite members automatically have Star Alliance Gold Status, and will receive benefits such as access to more than 954 lounges, extra-baggage allowance, priority baggage delivery, dedicated check-in counters and priority waitlist (reservation) and airport stand-by. MVP's have automatic Star Alliance Silver Status, entitling them to priority waitlist (reservation) and airport stand-by.

Participants in any of the existing Star Alliance Frequent Flyer Programmes can now earn and redeem miles on Alaska. Moreover, Mileage Plan members will be able to use their miles as part of Star Alliance Upgrade Awards for a one cabin upgrade when travelling on participating* Star Alliance member carriers.

About Star Alliance:

The Star Alliance network was established in 1997 as the first truly global airline alliance to offer worldwide reach, recognition and seamless service to international traveller. Its acceptance by the market has been recognised by numerous awards, including the Air Transport World Market Leadership Award, Best Airline Alliance by both Business Traveller Magazine and Skytrax. The member airlines are: Adria Airways, Air Canada, Air China, Air New Zealand, ANA, Alaska Airlines, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, Blue1, bmi, Continental Airlines, Croatia Airlines, EGYPTAIR, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, Singapore Airlines, South African Airways, Spanair, SWISS, TAP Portugal, Turkish Airlines, THAI, United and US Airways. Aegean Airlines, Air India, Brussels Airlines and TAM have been announced as future members. Overall, the Star Alliance network offers 19,534 daily flights to 1,071 airports in 171 countries.

* the following member carriers currently offer Star Alliance Upgrade Awards: Air China, Air New Zealand, ANA, Alaska Airlines, Asiana Airlines, Austrian, Continental Airlines, LOT Polish Airlines, Lufthansa, Scandinavian Airlines, Shanghai Airlines, Singapore Airlines, SWISS, TAP Portugal, Turkish Airlines, THAI and United
At least connections will be a lot easier in EWR ..

At least I wasn't like the last guy who pulled one of these on a non-April 1st day. Happy April Fools day
Old Apr 1, 2010, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
So much for reciprocity into the UA lounge @ EWR
Old Apr 1, 2010, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
IHG Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
It is the end of AS as we know it...
Old Apr 1, 2010, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Is it another April's Fool?

1. AS doesn't have any *A partners right now so why should they join *A now?

2. If the above doesn't have a direct link to an actual news source..., then there is no way to substantiate this.

I don't buy it !

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Apr 1, 2010 at 5:51 pm
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:43 pm

This is fantastic news for AS! They can dismantle their west coast network (since it overlaps with UA) and instead focus on travel between Alaska and Russia. Say hello to the new AS:

ANC - PYJ (Polyarnyj)
ANC - IKS (Tiksi)
ANC - GDX (Magadan)
ANC - YKS (Yakutsk)
ANC - PKC (Petropavlovsk-Kamchatskiy)
ANC - MJZ (Mirny) ... this one might be pushing it distance-wise.

I bet the mileage running opportunities in January will be pretty awesome. I can't wait!
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:47 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by doog
This is fantastic news for AS! They can dismantle their west coast network (since it overlaps with UA) and instead focus on travel between Alaska and Russia. Say hello to the new AS:

ANC - PYJ (Polyarnyj)
ANC - IKS (Tiksi)
ANC - GDX (Magadan)
ANC - YKS (Yakutsk)

I bet the mileage running opportunities in January will be pretty awesome. I can't wait!
Magadan is a sister city of ANC...
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium

ANC - PYJ (Polyarnyj)
ANC - IKS (Tiksi)
ANC - GDX (Magadan)
ANC - YKS (Yakutsk)

Will they be offering Risk as one of the IFE games choices?

And why not Vladivostok?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
Is it another April's Fool?
1. AS doesn't have any *A partners right now so why should they join *A now?
2. If the above doesn't have a direct link to an actual news source..., then there is no way to substantiate this.
I don't buy it !
Agree entirely... more lame April Fool's nonsense.
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:00 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Will they be offering Risk as one of the IFE games choices?

And why not Vladivostok?
VVO... that's twice I've seen it mentioned in a day on FT... (the other time was in the DL lounge)

That one would be logical... VVO-ANC was served last year...
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Any news on April 1st is a joke. I dont trust anything i see or hear on this day
Old Apr 1, 2010, 7:55 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
LOL!!!! AS wouldve had a press release for something like this. Nothing here to see. And Star Alliance? The least likely of all hahahahahaha

Last edited by ANC; Apr 1, 2010 at 9:08 pm
Old Apr 1, 2010, 9:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
How more specific do i need to be?

10 smiles in a row?

Happy april fool's day?

sheeesh....
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL DM&MM, PC PM, MR LTP, HH DM
Originally Posted by maokh

10 smiles in a row?

Happy april fool's day?

sheeesh....
When one fight's one's battle with the unarmed.......

Great job! The rest of us got it.........ok, the last line was my clue, right?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by maokh
10 smiles in a row?
Happy april fool's day?
sheeesh....
High school canceled today?
Old Apr 1, 2010, 10:34 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, Priority Club

ANC - PYJ (Polyarnyj)
ANC - IKS (Tiksi)
ANC - GDX (Magadan)
ANC - YKS (Yakutsk)

These will all be wonderful additions to Star!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.