Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tacoma, WA gold lunch

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by maokh
Yeah, it gets brought up every time. The stance is that this will no longer be an issue in the future as computer technology improves. The big issues is weight and cost. When you have companies changing from metal to plastic carts to save 3,000,000 gallons of fuel a year, i dont know how the heck you are going to convince them that putting in power is economical.
I agree, though it would be nice to have some outlet on the plane, for when I didn't get to charge my battery completely (MBP), or didn't plug it in at the BR. However, for the mainstay of AS passengers, couldn't they just install outlets in seats like WN has at all of their gates now?

Last edited by longdrelation; Feb 25, 2010 at 8:46 am
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
It's not mileage running if you stay for three days (or a week!) in DC.
It is if you're deferring a much more direct route (ANC-SEA-DCA) to pick up a boatload of miles. You're adding a considerable amount of travel time (which is often someone who's in a hurry can't afford to do).

MR refers to the practice of "inefficient" routing to pick up miles as well as trips for nothing BUT miles- though ANC-PDX-SEA-LAX-DCA ain't nothing compared to SFO-JFK/BOS-LAX...
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: AS MVPG, AC E, HH Diamond
Did they mention if you would still be able to give the new e-certs to friends or family (without me having to book their ticket on my account)?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: Lifetime AA Gold-1MM
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
I actually have a couple of leftover purchased upgrade certs from back when I was an AA elite.
Of course as a non AA elite now, you can only use them with full-fare tickets. If you're going to do that, you can often find a Y-up fare and get an instant upgrade.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by bobsyouruncle
Did they mention if you would still be able to give the new e-certs to friends or family (without me having to book their ticket on my account)?
They didn't mention that specifically, but from what I gathered they will come in the form of discount codes which you can use to book tickets for anyone you want.

Currently, discount codes aren't automatically deposited into 'my account' just like unused tickets aren't automatically deposited into 'my wallet', nor do they need to be in order to be applied to a new reservation. Assuming they implement the upgrade certs in a similar fashion, I'd imagine that you'd be able to just send the code to whoever you want. If, on the other hand, they do automatically deposit them into 'my account', like the way WN does with their awards, you'd probably have to book them yourself.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:16 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
nostradamus. I suspect we'll see some interesting things in the summer schedule, though it's just a hunch and not based on anything I've heard from anyone that would know such information.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 2:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: plat
Can't believe the delta/alaska upgrades doesn't restart till may.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
It is if you're deferring a much more direct route (ANC-SEA-DCA) to pick up a boatload of miles. You're adding a considerable amount of travel time (which is often someone who's in a hurry can't afford to do).
Why are power ports strictly the domain of those in a hurry? When AS wasn't a factor, I picked carriers a couple years ago based in part on the availability of power ports, even though it was a leisure trip.

And by FT convention, a MR is something done strictly for the miles. I always have a destination (usually picked because it's a good fare--too low for me to pass up!)--I just try to pick the most creative routing to get there! Most people on FT wouldn't call that a MR. But whatever.

MR refers to the practice of "inefficient" routing to pick up miles as well as trips for nothing BUT miles- though ANC-PDX-SEA-LAX-DCA ain't nothing compared to SFO-JFK/BOS-LAX...
Well, it's about the best option we can get on AS. If AS had a midcon or east-coast hub, some better routing options might be available.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:21 am

Programs: AS MVPG, UA 1P, UA RCC, Hertz Gold, Marriott Rewards Silver, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by jackal
And by FT convention, a MR is something done strictly for the miles. I always have a destination (usually picked because it's a good fare--too low for me to pass up!)--I just try to pick the most creative routing to get there! Most people on FT wouldn't call that a MR. But whatever.
I found this interesting in Wiki when looking up a definition for MR.
Since the September 11, 2001 attacks, suspicion levels with air travel have been higher. As such, individuals that are traveling on itineraries with multiple stops, and short time in between the outbound and return segment, can be considered suspicious at times by airline personnel who encounter these itineraries.
So, jumping around the US for a "leisure" trip in DC may get you interrogated? Have fun with the "most creative routing".
Old Feb 26, 2010, 10:37 am

Programs: AS 75K, DL Plat, AA, WN, Hertz, HHonors, Marriott
Originally Posted by longdrelation
Since the September 11, 2001 attacks, suspicion levels with air travel have been higher. As such, individuals that are traveling on itineraries with multiple stops, and short time in between the outbound and return segment, can be considered suspicious at times by airline personnel who encounter these itineraries.
So, jumping around the US for a "leisure" trip in DC may get you interrogated? Have fun with the "most creative routing".
Hmmm, I love those statements either on Wikipedia or in the media that start with some variation of "some people say..." and then fail to cite any references, or even an anecdote.

If anyone is going to hassle you for making a MR, it's likely going to me an immigration or customs officer rather than an airline employee.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
I had the route director and someone who was customer experience related at my table, and we were asked:

"Has anyone been on a .... mileage .. run?" as if she was confused about the question. All the golds at the table admitted to tagging on some extra segment or making a unnecessary weekend trip to a far destination in order to requal for gold if they were on the edge.

We all laughed over the mention that they see flows where people fly to hawaii and literally take the turn back to seattle.

We were told that they often look at flows through the system, and a select few make extremely absurd routings, which still puzzles route managers I suspect. They peak near december ... but apparently there is no question that the company financially benefits from these.

I agree, though it would be nice to have some outlet on the plane, for when I didn't get to charge my battery completely (MBP), or didn't plug it in at the BR. However, for the mainstay of AS passengers, couldn't they just install outlets in seats like WN has at all of their gates now?
I agree -- if you forget to charge on a flight, you are hosed. I think power at least in first class and a few of the gold rows should be available. Frankly, even USB would make my day.
Old Feb 26, 2010, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by dave1013
* PDX is a big focus for them, the competition is doing well against Alaska, they are going to be more pro-active there.
I don't know if this was said yet, but it was mumbled after this (and quite vague) that Alaska is giving PDX another chance as a focus city. The airport is flat, but travel is up 5% (attrition from other airlines). But, if alaska continues to fly these planes and people don't take advantage of the capacity, they are considering reallocating this capacity to someone who would actually use it -- socal was mentioned as well as the bay area.

Frankly, Alaska putting a hub or increasing the focus on either two areas could be one heck of a boom for the airline.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 12:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
In most cases, though, tagging on some extra segments is not a problem if you're not turning right back around at your destination. And a trip not made for the sole purpose of earning miles, regardless of extra segments or creative routings added, is not, by definition (consistent with that WP article), a mileage run.

Originally Posted by hgdf
Hmmm, I love those statements either on Wikipedia or in the media that start with some variation of "some people say..." and then fail to cite any references, or even an anecdote.
Indeed. Such weasel words are all too common. There are now {{fact}} tags on the paragraph in question.

If anyone is going to hassle you for making a MR, it's likely going to me an immigration or customs officer rather than an airline employee.
Exactly.
Old Feb 27, 2010, 3:03 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by AS Flyer
nostradamus. I suspect we'll see some interesting things in the summer schedule, though it's just a hunch and not based on anything I've heard from anyone that would know such information.
Ooo... so we should have a summer 2010 speculation thread @:-)
Old Feb 27, 2010, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Not always ...

A few years ago I did SEA - MCO - SEA as a turn-around without leaving the MCO concourse. I was called to the podium at MCO; I forget the exact reason given, but something along the lines of "We wanted to make sure (were curious that) you were really intending to turn around and go right back."

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.