Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Tacoma, WA gold lunch

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2010, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I absolutely love CO's website... Full of information and very easy to use ^ The part I love about CO's system is you can view the upgrade list and standby list online thru the flight status page
Agreed. With the new GIDS system AS is implementing, hope they can have a similar page for us, both via the internet (mobile too) and an app
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:24 pm

Programs: AS (former)MVP, DL [NW-WP], AC Aeroplan, Starbucks Gold :)
Originally Posted by dave1013
beckoa,

* PDX is a big focus for them, the competition is doing well against Alaska, they are going to be more pro-active there.
mmm. I wonder what that might mean? More routes? More mainline? I think they should make a go at nonstop PDX-LIH/KOA and PDX-AUS.

I am glad they are making PDX a priority, AS has until very recently had a "position and hold" mantra with respect to PDX.

Curious what new things AS has in store for PDX.

~FAI PDX Flyer
Old Feb 24, 2010, 7:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by ExecTraveler
PIT would be better, but I guess it's not all about me.
Which one of you lame-o's is going to admit it was you who laminated your upgrade cert?
I keep telling them PIT .. fly me there. The route manager was at my table, but there must not be something economical about it i guess.

Some employees were mumbling "i heard about that!" ... they know certificate collection is a complete joke, and how its either a complete unnkown among golds. the question asked was, "i have no idea what to do with these so i just burn them in the fire place" (gasps in the crowd)

It might also be interesting to note that someone from Kenmore air was on site to talk a little bit about the partnership. Its very exciting i think.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:19 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pto, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by ExecTraveler
PIT would be better, but I guess it's not all about me.
Split the difference and start MDT. Base a Q400 there to link to PIT and PHL.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 8:37 pm
Original Poster

If anyone is up for a jet pool to PIT, let me know
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:39 pm

Programs: AS 75K, AS 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold Plus
Quote:

" There were only about 2000 passengers that flew more than 75K last year. "

I will bet they find this number increases significantly this year. I for one have always milked my AS miles to just over 40K --- enuf to qualify for Gold, but then I split miles with CO to qualify over there as well. I actually hit 75K for the first time in '09, mainly under the misguided hope that I would be "tapped on the shoulder" for the elusive MVP Gold plus that we were hearing runors about.

This year Alaska gets my attention at the expense of others, so I can get the elusive 75K card and "priorities" . Right now, I am only getting bumped on AS 50% of the time Next year, I will see if the MVPG+ is worthwhile, as I will take my CO status down to Gold in order to see how often I will get the bumps on AS.

I am betting that the MVPG+ will get me over the hump, and I bet that there are a lot of people like me who can divert flights to AS...
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
As someone who has "acquired" paper certs from various sources over the last several years, I'll be sad to see the program end. I'll miss you, F!

But I'm surprised to see that it took so long to start the move to ecerts.
Old Feb 24, 2010, 9:45 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP
Seat Power??

For the longest time AS kept saying no to seat power, batteries are where its at. But it seems like the during the last year or so, AS might have been rethinking their position. Any discussions about that at the lunch??
Old Feb 24, 2010, 10:52 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, it gets brought up every time. The stance is that this will no longer be an issue in the future as computer technology improves. The big issues is weight and cost. When you have companies changing from metal to plastic carts to save 3,000,000 gallons of fuel a year, i dont know how the heck you are going to convince them that putting in power is economical.

Infact, I completely agree with this. If they were operating long, international hauls, id have serious issues with this line of thinking -- but they dont.

Buying a 1 hour 30 minute wonder is probably not the best travel laptop. Right now there are dozens of laptops on the market today that can last even the longest alaska flights with time to spare. One of my coworkers recently purchased a macbook pro and he lasts the entire workday (and some of the next) without his charger. "Oh, i left it at home. doesn't really matter, i never bring it to work." he says.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:15 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
Originally Posted by maokh
One of my coworkers recently purchased a macbook pro and he lasts the entire workday (and some of the next) without his charger. "Oh, i left it at home. doesn't really matter, i never bring it to work." he says.
Wow, YMMV. At least mine does. I carry a spare battery in my bag. Not cheap. But it does weigh less than a power supply.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 12:18 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, MVP Gold 75K, HH Gold
* PDX is a big focus for them, the competition is doing well against Alaska, they are going to be more pro-active there.

Q: Will there be 2 Board Rooms in Seattle, it is always too crowded?
A;; They are looking for a spot on the North Satellite
I think they said Jan business in PDX was up 5% YoY. So they think their plan is working.

And the North Satellite is "the future" at SEA. It's the only place where gates can be expanded, apparently. So they're looking at building a Board Room above the terminal. "Something with lots of glass."
Old Feb 25, 2010, 1:29 am

\
Q: Will there be one way award trip available on partner airlines
A; They are working on this now. Including International travel, i.e. Take Delta to London, take British Air back
This would be a dream come true. Even if they could only do one-ways on certain carriers it would make award travel SO much easier. On the downside, it seems like they've been saying they're working on it for a while now. Did you get any idea if this is coming any time soon?
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by maokh
Yeah, it gets brought up every time. The stance is that this will no longer be an issue in the future as computer technology improves. The big issues is weight and cost. When you have companies changing from metal to plastic carts to save 3,000,000 gallons of fuel a year, i dont know how the heck you are going to convince them that putting in power is economical.

Infact, I completely agree with this. If they were operating long, international hauls, id have serious issues with this line of thinking -- but they dont.

Buying a 1 hour 30 minute wonder is probably not the best travel laptop. Right now there are dozens of laptops on the market today that can last even the longest alaska flights with time to spare. One of my coworkers recently purchased a macbook pro and he lasts the entire workday (and some of the next) without his charger. "Oh, i left it at home. doesn't really matter, i never bring it to work." he says.
Originally Posted by morerainplease
Wow, YMMV. At least mine does. I carry a spare battery in my bag. Not cheap. But it does weigh less than a power supply.
maokh's probably talking about the sealed-cell 8-hour battery option on the newest MBP. Like the battery of an iPhone or iPod, you can't take it out, but it lasts a very, very long time. (8 hours is the claim, and usually, Apple's claims are fairly conservative.)

STILL...maokh, try doing ANC-SEA-EWR, much less ANC-PDX-SEA-LAX-DCA. Either way, your battery will be shot, and you may be left in the streets of the Financial District of Boston in the wee hours of the morning with a dead phone and no way to contact anyone, frantically waving the next cabbie to drive by (who is out to do nothing but rip you off). That's not exactly a fun situation to be in.

Q: How do you use the upgrade coupons we get with our Gold package
A: The program is a mess. Some Gate agents don't even take the coupons. One guys showed up with a laminated one the other day. They are going to eliminate the paper coupons and put everything in your e wallet.
Ahem, beckoa...did you miss this?! I would have expected outrage from you!!

I, for one, will be sad to see these go, too.
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
STILL...maokh, try doing ANC-SEA-EWR, much less ANC-PDX-SEA-LAX-DCA
If you're doing ANC-PDX-SEA-LAX-DCA, you're not seriously taking a business trip- you're mileage running, and kind of deserve what you get.

That being said... I find it interesting that AS considers WiFi a necessity, but not power, even though AS trip length is WAY up from where it was a while back (with many more transcon/midcon/non-leisure destinations than the days where it was a lot of 2 hour CA flights + MX), and with many competitors having inflight power in one form or another (VX, UA, AA, CO, DL).
Old Feb 25, 2010, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
If you're doing ANC-PDX-SEA-LAX-DCA, you're not seriously taking a business trip- you're mileage running, and kind of deserve what you get.
It's not mileage running if you stay for three days (or a week!) in DC. I'd never dream of doing all that to get to DC just to turn around on the next flight home the same way :cough:beckoa:cough:...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.