Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR Frustrations

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:14 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
I have to chime in as I have flown several dozen trips in and out of YVR since 2001. The posts indicating poor experiences with the staff really surprise me, as I have found some really great people there. The Boardroom staff are simply the best.

However, YVR is primarily a QX station, and there have been multiple rounds of layoffs of YVR staff. Some people are probably pretty demoralized. There was a gentleman who was nearly always at the F/MVP counter when I departed, and he was great if a delay cropped up. I haven't seen him in at least 6 months, so I suspect he is gone. AS has pulled out so many mainline flights, leaving just LAX and the scattered QX service to PDX and SEA. I just have to wonder what is going on. Maybe there are so many taxes and fees that ticket prices are high yet the airlines cannot pull in enough revenue to make a go at it.

As far as security goes, the restrictions on size and contents are pretty harsh, although not as bad as they were for about a month after the underwear dude struck. You can take a smallish rollon or duffle bag or backpack, plus a personal item that meets the regulations. They are serious about the laptop bag not having anything but the computer, cord and mouse in it...don't stick a book or papers in it or you will have to repack.

After they check your boarding pass and admit you to the screening area, you step on a sensor pad that turns green or red. If you get red, everything and your person will be searched. If you get green, the screening is much like before.

I flew back on Sunday afternoon and had no major issues. I got there 3 hours before, was the only person checking in and was in the boardroom in about 30-35 minutes. That's only about 10 minutes longer than what it took in the past on a good day. I had a backpack with my in cabin stuff and a small laptop bag.

The boardroom should have been open. It does not close midday under normal circumstances. Perhaps someone was out stick and they didn't get someone to cover?
Old Mar 25, 2010, 10:16 am

Programs: AA (PPro/3MM/Admirals Club), AS, UA, Marriott (Gold), HHonors (Gold), Accor (Plat)
Originally Posted by sduk27
I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I need to vent about the AS Ground Staff at YVR. But there's one supervisor who is just simply rude. The other week I'm attempting to check-in at the First Class counter at which point she simply looked up at me at stated "I'm sorry but this line is for first class only" at which point I remarked "I know, that's why I'm in this line"

I'm just wondering what prompted such an initial reaction from her.

Maybe I'm just not cut out to be First Class of MVP material
That is so strange. For one, I think they are down to 4 aircraft per day that even have an F cabin. Most people using that line would be QX passengers who are MVP/G.
Old Mar 25, 2010, 9:22 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AS BR thru Nov 2010
Most people in line were checking in for the last flight down to LA.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
Follow-up

Since I started this thread I thought I would follow up on a few of the comments made. I had to go to YVR several weeks ago for business and as it was just an overnight I planned to fit everything into my computer bag.

On the return trip (QX) there was once again a line of 5 people, one CSA and no one in the First Class/MVP line. This time I just waited like everyone else as I was not in a hurry. I was thinking though, are they only attentive to that line when it is an AS flight as everyone flies "first class" on QX? However, it sounds like sduk27 was on an AS flight.

Anyway, the CSA was polite, customs was a breeze and the BR was open...much better than last time. As always, the staff in the BR were polite and attentive. I am still annoyed with the baggage thing but that is not their decision nor Canada's. I like Vancouver....just frustrated that day in February.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, AS BR thru Nov 2010
I have to agree the folks in the BR are great. A couple of them have got use to my almost weekly routine and often use my first name even before presenting my card. Same with the folks at LAX, one of the girls there tells me to "put it away" when I attempt to show her my BR card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.