Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Board Room question: TSA cleared guests in Delta Sky Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold

I have a layover in DTW for a few hours, and I wanted to catch up with a family member. I know that SkyClub offers BR members guest privileges for those over 21, but any idea if they can be given a pass to clear TSA as well?
Old Jan 13, 2010, 1:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by maokh
I have a layover in DTW for a few hours, and I wanted to catch up with a family member. I know that SkyClub offers BR members guest privileges for those over 21, but any idea if they can be given a pass to clear TSA as well?
Not familiar with a specific procedure for that. However, if you can get them thru security some other way (sometimes just takes the right agent) then there should not be any problems. But haven't tried this with DL before...
Old Jan 13, 2010, 5:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
Not familiar with a specific procedure for that. However, if you can get them thru security some other way (sometimes just takes the right agent) then there should not be any problems. But haven't tried this with DL before...
I ended up giving the board room folks a call, they are trying to arrange something with DTW, assuming if its permitted. Would be neat if it works!
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:26 pm
Original Poster

So, that was interesting ...

Okay, let me take a deep breath so i can say this in one sentence:

ONLY if you are flying a Delta airlines ticket, you can arrange with the Delta Sky Club as a Board Room member to authorize up to 2 guests to be given TSA hall passes without your supervision in any airport -- however, a new Delta policy created in the last month now prohibits any access to just the DTW airport, without the reservation of a conference room through regius, which is billed at $50/hr, 1-800-496-2225.

She also told me, THAT BEING SAID, she (and the skyclub agents) bet that if you showed up at a ticket counter outside security, it would be entirely likely that your guest would be given a pass or perhaps a friendly TSA agent would let it go (technically, they can).

She mentioned this brand new policy in DTW is very similar to the Board Room policy in LAX (?!!? didn't know), where they only want passengers intending to fly passed TSA and keep any extra people outside the sterile area. What good keeping an extra 2 1/2 people using an obscure benefit they are unaware of is unclear.

It took a BR agent in SEA about 4 phone calls to determine this with the head club in DTW....and YMMV But it looks like even the most obscure guesting privileges have been inherited in the agreement.
Old Jan 13, 2010, 10:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by maokh
So, that was interesting ...

Okay, let me take a deep breath so i can say this in one sentence:

ONLY if you are flying a Delta airlines ticket, you can arrange with the Delta Sky Club as a Board Room member to authorize up to 2 guests to be given TSA hall passes without your supervision in any airport -- however, a new Delta policy created in the last month now prohibits any access to just the DTW airport, without the reservation of a conference room through regius, which is billed at $50/hr, 1-800-496-2225.

She also told me, THAT BEING SAID, she (and the skyclub agents) bet that if you showed up at a ticket counter outside security, it would be entirely likely that your guest would be given a pass or perhaps a friendly TSA agent would let it go (technically, they can).

She mentioned this brand new policy in DTW is very similar to the Board Room policy in LAX (?!!? didn't know), where they only want passengers intending to fly passed TSA and keep any extra people outside the sterile area. What good keeping an extra 2 1/2 people using an obscure benefit they are unaware of is unclear.

It took a BR agent in SEA about 4 phone calls to determine this with the head club in DTW....and YMMV But it looks like even the most obscure guesting privileges have been inherited in the agreement.
I haven't tried this before at LAX, but I thought one could get passes to grant guests at BR locations including LAX, did this airport change recently?
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:47 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
I haven't tried this before at LAX, but I thought one could get passes to grant guests at BR locations including LAX, did this airport change recently?
No, you are correct. There is a TSA arrangement at all BR's to let us in if we are not flying.

However, specifically not LAX. This must have just changed very recently.

I dont know who they are trying to keep out....you can buy one way tickets cheaper than a BR membership
Old Jan 14, 2010, 12:54 am

Programs: AS MVP, Hhonors Gold, National Executive, Identity Gold, MLife Gold
Since it now requires an anal probing to get through security, I assume they would put a policy like this in place to try to eliminate as much traffic as possible.

You should make sure to write to AS, the TSA as well as the managers of the airports you frequent to let them know that this is something that's important to you.

As mentioned, you can buy a fully refundable ticket to get through security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.