Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

So Alaska has it's own FF program? No affiliation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So Alaska has it's own FF program? No affiliation?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14, 2010, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by wsucougarchick05
There is this, but unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's been updated to reflect the DL/NW merger and the changes to the upgrade system that came with the merger.
I've updated the Mileage Plan overview wiki page with the things I know about the merger, but I'm not an MVP so I don't have personal experience to draw upon. Anyone can edit the wiki....
Old Jan 15, 2010, 1:22 am

Location: Vancouver (Not BC), WA (Not DC)...I'm in a PDX flight path.
Programs: Elite peon; MR Gold; HH Silver; BW Diamond (status match)
Originally Posted by ashill
I've updated the Mileage Plan overview wiki page with the things I know about the merger, but I'm not an MVP so I don't have personal experience to draw upon. Anyone can edit the wiki....
Thanks!

I'm not familiar with editing wiki stuff, so I leave that to those who know how to do so...
Old Jan 17, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Don't forget the club agreement - I think AS has full access to DL's Skyclub but only select location access with the others.

Interesting to note - CO clubs are still listed on the AS site - I would have thought that would be gone now.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:18 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Interesting to note - CO clubs are still listed on the AS site - I would have thought that would be gone now.
That's because access to the CO PCs @DEN, LAS and EWR were negotiated to continue after CO's entrance into *A. It's not a system-wide agreement and is only for those three locations. Prior to the end of the AS & CO partnership an AS BR member could access any CO PC location.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 12:52 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, AS MVP Gold
Searching Award Seat Availability on AS Partners

Interesting discussion. . .as I had naively assumed AS was a oneworld affiliate based on my use of a QF and later a CX F award ticket over the last few years.

With about 130,000 AS miles now accumulated, I was toying with the notion of a quick return trip to Singapore this fall. That led me to the revelation that JL is oneworld, but not an AS partner while KE is not oneworld but is an AS partner. OK, whatever. You guys know all this.

Now, here's the query. On *A awards, I've used the ANA tool and Expert Flyer to research award seat availabilities so I can avoid calling the airline blind and hoping I get someone who is helpful and knowledgeable. If AS were simply oneworld, I was going to sign up for the KVL tool to do the research. Now I'm wondering what the hell to do.

I know that (1) I want to go in October, (2) I have enough miles for a Biz award ticket, and (3) I can get to SIN on either CX or KE (with possible connections from PDX up and down the west coast: LAX, SFO and YVR).

Anyone have thoughts to share on a good research method. Abundant thx.

--mcz

p.s.: hope this query isn't too scattered. It's been a long day and my brain has about had it. thx again.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 1:08 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by mczlaw
Interesting discussion. . .as I had naively assumed AS was a oneworld affiliate based on my use of a QF and later a CX F award ticket over the last few years.

With about 130,000 AS miles now accumulated, I was toying with the notion of a quick return trip to Singapore this fall. That led me to the revelation that JL is oneworld, but not an AS partner while KE is not oneworld but is an AS partner. OK, whatever. You guys know all this.

Now, here's the query. On *A awards, I've used the ANA tool and Expert Flyer to research award seat availabilities so I can avoid calling the airline blind and hoping I get someone who is helpful and knowledgeable. If AS were simply oneworld, I was going to sign up for the KVL tool to do the research. Now I'm wondering what the hell to do.

I know that (1) I want to go in October, (2) I have enough miles for a Biz award ticket, and (3) I can get to SIN on either CX or KE (with possible connections from PDX up and down the west coast: LAX, SFO and YVR).

Anyone have thoughts to share on a good research method. Abundant thx.

--mcz

p.s.: hope this query isn't too scattered. It's been a long day and my brain has about had it. thx again.
Just call up award reservations. Every AS agent I've spoken to regarding award reservations has 1) answered the phone promptly 2) taken the time to understand my requirements and preferences 3) searched high and low to find a suitable itinerary for my award 4) acted with extreme professionalism and courtesy. Seriously, even when I have only called for information on availability, they've always gone way out of their way to provide me information in as pleasant and helpful way as possible. You will only pay the $25 booking fee when actually making a reservation, so feel free to call and research dates and routings as many times as necessary. You won't get any guilt/pressure to book before you're absolutely ready.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Yes. Use the Partner Desk. They are awesome. End of story.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:51 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Completely agree. I routinely have to fly a sibling from Europe to the U.S. on my award miles for family matters, and it would be impossible without the Partner Desk to figure out the best routing for the best mileage on a variety of AS partner airlines. Do call them.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:46 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by COpltASgldPHX
Really about the only thing you need to concern yourself with is which AS partners earn EQMs and then only if you are interested in attaining status on AS.
There are other things which one might be concerned with, such as redemption. The $25 per person partner award fee is pretty steep, especially when they charge a phone fee on top of that, even though there's no alternative but to phone when the web site isn't built to do partner awards.

Originally Posted by baliktad
You will only pay the $25 booking fee when actually making a reservation, so feel free to call and research dates and routings as many times as necessary.
Plus the fee for phoning them.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:52 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by Kremmen
There are other things which one might be concerned with, such as redemption. The $25 per person partner award fee is pretty steep, especially when they charge a phone fee on top of that, even though there's no alternative but to phone when the web site isn't built to do partner awards.

Plus the fee for phoning them.
I am not sure about that.... A friend of mine who booked an award tix on CX from SFO-MNL only paid $40 for everything...

I'll let someone with more knowledge provide a detailed break down of partner award reservation fees.

EDIT: Found the information:

Passenger is responsible for the following taxes and fees on award travel: September 11th U.S. Security Fee of $2.50 per enplanement. A $25 (USD) nonrefundable fee per person for each award booked on a partner airline. Additionally to Canada: U.S. Immigration User Fee of $7; U.S. Aphis Fee of $5.00; Canadian Airport Improvement Fee (varies by airport); Canadian Security Fee of $9 (fluctuates with exchange rate). All taxes are subject to change without notice due to government discretion. All taxes and fees shown are in USD based on one-way travel and may be doubled if traveling round-trip.

No "phone fee"....
Old Jan 31, 2010, 12:58 am

Programs: United 1 k ;Hertz Gold; Marriott Gold; Starwood Gold; Priority Club Gold; BMI Silver
So UA has its own ff program

This isnt exactly breaking news either!
Old Jan 31, 2010, 1:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by golfingboy
No "phone fee"....
It's described officially as a "Ticketing Fee". I booked MEL-PER return on QF and it cost US$60+ per person, including:

Ticketing Fee: $15.00
Partner Award Booking Fee: $25.00

If this is really wrong, then obviously I'd be more than happy for someone to tell me who I go to in order to get the extra fee refunded.

Last edited by Kremmen; Jan 31, 2010 at 1:29 am
Old Jan 31, 2010, 3:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by Kremmen
It's described officially as a "Ticketing Fee". I booked MEL-PER return on QF and it cost US$60+ per person, including:

Ticketing Fee: $15.00
Partner Award Booking Fee: $25.00

If this is really wrong, then obviously I'd be more than happy for someone to tell me who I go to in order to get the extra fee refunded.
Sounds correct. Only way around it would be to be an MVPG or using an MVPG's miles (who are exempt from the ticketing fee). We still have to pay the partner award booking fee though

So not sure there is a way around it, some of us are just not used to booking travel for non-MVPG's
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
The $25 per person partner award fee is pretty steep
Alaska's fees are pretty reasonable. Some other comparisons:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_mi...fees/index.jsp

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,8566,1141,00.html

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,60,00.html

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,50994,00.html

http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...ooktravel.html
Old Jan 31, 2010, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Alaska's fees are pretty reasonable.
I was comparing it with other redemptions for the same thing. QF award through AAdvantage had no such fees when I last did one.

The main thing I object to is being charged a fee for booking on the phone when there's no choice. If I needed to waste someone's time, I wouldn't mind paying the call-up fee, but if they're wasting my time because they can't be bothered making the online booking system comprehensive, it irks me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.