Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Alaska Mileage To Europe?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Using Alaska Mileage To Europe?

Has anyone every used Alaska miles to fly to Europe on partner airlines? I would like to fly from Vancouver, Victoria, or Seattle to Paris next year.

I know Alaska does not fly to Europe but many partner airlines do.

Just wondering what I can expect in terms of availability, approx number of miles required, other members experience?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Hyatt Discoverist, Hilton Gold
Take a look at this chart and then call the Partners Desk.

I have found the best availability with AA and AF. Good luck and be flexible.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Last week I booked 2 tix to Rome on Air France connecting through Paris for next July. Availability was decent, but be flexible.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 3:56 pm

There's tons of availability on BA, especially flying out of Seattle, but if you use BA you have to pay their fuel surcharge, which might not make it worth it to you. On the other hand, if you're looking to fly business class BA's product is top notch (especially if you manage to land a seat in the upstairs part of their 747).

Other than BA, getting to Europe using miles can be tough because you can't mix and match partners. If you fly PDX or SEA to AMS, you can't fly from AMS to the rest of Europe on KLM... so unless you're flying a European carrier with a hub in Europe (AF, BA, KLM out of YVR), then your options can be rather limited. AA has lots of flights to LHR, but none to TXL, for example. If you're not flying to AMS DL/NW will more or less require you to fly to JFK or ATL to get to Europe (there are a few flights out of SLC, and I think a few more out of LAX).

Someone who went to a recent MVPG luncheon said that Alaska might be adding Icelandair as a partner... if we were able to redeem miles with them it would definitely make it easier to use miles to get to Europe. I haven't really heard anything about how far along things are with this, I guess that means it's not imminent. I guess I'll just keep my fingers crossed.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
I will 2nd BA for availabilty, but fuel charges can add uip. AA is secound best and I just booked DL for PDX/AMS. Remeber to try all of the West Coast cities for the departure city (PDX,SFO,LAX) as AS will get you to any of them.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
. If you fly PDX or SEA to AMS, you can't fly from AMS to the rest of Europe on KLM... so unless you're flying a European carrier with a hub in Europe (AF, BA, KLM out of YVR), then your options can be rather limited.
It looks to me, actually, like there are a fair number of ways to use AS to connect to a KL or AF flight, which IS allowed as a mix and match:

YVR (AF/KL)
YYC (KL)
SFO (AF)
LAX (AF/KL)
IAH (AF/KL)
ATL (KL)

I wonder how much slack the partner desk will cut on forced layovers, though- some of those won't work so awesome. I would guess connecting through SFO/LAX would work best (AS has the best frequencies there).

If you're not flying to AMS DL/NW will more or less require you to fly to JFK or ATL to get to Europe (there are a few flights out of SLC, and I think a few more out of LAX).
DL doesn't do Europe out of LAX (all their longhaul stuff is TPAC), and MSP and DTW have some non-AMS destinations (LHR, CDG from MSP and LHR, CDG, FRA from DTW).

The other possibility would be buy cheap flights in Europe to do your touring, and just hit the gateway for ingress/egress from Europe.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 9:43 pm

Remember that once you are in Europe connections can be pretty cheap. The AMS/MUC trip I just booked on LH was $131 all in RT.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 10:31 pm

AS Miles to Europe

I fly to Europe once a year or so, always business class on AS Miles. I have never had a problem (though I am always flexible with dates).

While BA has a superior product I refuse to pay surcharges so extreme on a flee ticket -- just feels wrong.

Air France flies non stop from Seattle and can get you wherever you need to go in Europe. Just call the partner desk -- they are the most helpful in the industry. And I agree with others posted -- Alaska is great about getting you to another airport (SFO, for example) no charge. I booked 2 business class tickets on Cathay this year to Asia -- absolutely no issues getting me to/from YVR/SFO in first class.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:41 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
I've used AS miles for SEA-LHR-CAI-LHR-SEA and PDX-AMS-PDX on BA and DL, respectively. Both times in business class, which had good availability on my exact dates. Coach is harder to find on these routes. As others have said, BA how adds exhorbitant fuel surcharges (hundreds of dollars) which make them much less attractive than they used to be.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 8:45 am

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
BA just started non-stop LAS-LHR last week. Usually lots of availability on brand new leisure routes like that. Worth a try connecting SEA-LAS on AS the LAS-LHR-ZZZ on BA. Good luck.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 10:39 am

Programs: SPG GOLD
The last two years I've redeemed AS miles on Air France for Business Class tickets. In 2008 I flew LAX-LHR-CDG-EVN and in 2009 LAX-CDG-MUC. Both times it was important to have flexibility on my dates and the agents at the partners desk said it has gotten a little harder to get tickets lately due to some flights no longer existing, like my flight from LAX-LHR on Air France doesn't exist anymore.

They also offered to fly me to to Seattle or SFO on an AS flight to connect me with an international partner.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 1:04 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 100k
BA F, baby !

The only thing I use my AS miles for is BA F to Europe. There is almost always availability from one of the w/c gateways - LAX, SFO, SEA, PHX - without needing to be flexible on dates, whether you book a few days, weeks or months ahead of time - and if you are gold you can switch to a more convenient airport for free in the couple of weeks before departure as additional availability opens up.

Taxes/fees are ~$500 if your destination is UK, ~$350 if you connect on (due to the outrageous UK APD being waived if you are connecting).

BA J is only 20k less, and often has worse availability; not a good deal IMHO. I don't like the AF J ski-slop seats, but the food/wine is excellent. AA J hard product is even worse than AF unless you can find availability on a 777, when is is broadly similar. NW is similar to AF, except the food.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 4:22 pm

Mileage Plan fliers have a big advantage when it comes to BA: AA miles can't be used to redeem tickets on BA from the continental US. That means that there's relatively little competition for award seats (in comparison to other foreign carriers with alliance partners like AF, KLM, etc). AAdvantage folks can fly up to Canada or down to Mexico for BA award travel, which leaves SEA, LAX, SFO, LAS available for AS award flights.

On the other hand, people who redeem AA miles for BA flights don't pay the fuel surcharge. I'd pay the fuel surcharge for biz or first, but the surcharge adds up to a significant percentage of a coach ticket, which IMO makes it not at all worthwhile.
Old Nov 5, 2009, 5:50 pm

Mileage Plan fliers have a big advantage when it comes to BA: AA miles can't be used to redeem tickets on BA from the continental US. That means that there's relatively little competition for award seats (in comparison to other foreign carriers with alliance partners like AF, KLM, etc). AAdvantage folks can fly up to Canada or down to Mexico for BA award travel, which leaves SEA, LAX, SFO, LAS available for AS award flights.

That would make sense, but oddly enough I always find better avaiablity from YVR than SEA.
Old Nov 9, 2009, 6:37 pm

multiple partners

ok, so i'm not too smart on using air miles yet, but i just got my FIRST two award tickets for my teenage granddaughters with delta miles......itinerary is pdx/yvr/ams/fco on alaska/klm with a return from fco/atl/pdx on delta..........i now am trying to use my alaska miles to book the same itinerary and can get to fco with no problem, but can't book the return leg because it's delta...........is there any way around this or am i just going to be stuck purchasing a ticket with the necessary routing???......thanks........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.