Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

The South of Expected Companion Certs have arrived

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

10/23/2009 BANK OF AMERICA
SIGNATURE CARD $99 COMPANION TICKET AVAILABLE IN YOUR MY ACCOUNT 2,000 2,000

Well, soon enough, the 2,000 won't be there either.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:15 pm

Lame...oh well, at least we get CC that work on all fares and are upgradeable.
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:20 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by United757
Lame...oh well, at least we get CC that work on all fares and are upgradeable.
and earns miles when used
Old Oct 26, 2009, 11:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
My Signature card is so new (Got the Upgrade in April) that I'll never see anniversary bonus miles...
Old Oct 27, 2009, 6:06 am

Programs: Alaska, MVPG
I have already cancelled my card, for the annual fee it's not all that great anymore. Not to mention the nice BofA feature that one month I underpaid my balance by $2 because their online payment is so lame you can't just click on your monthly balance to pay, but have to type it in. My typo, but they generously charged me finance charge on the entire balance, not just the $2 difference. Good thing they survived on tax payer bailout!
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Boardroom, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by tomcsa
I have already cancelled my card, for the annual fee it's not all that great anymore. Not to mention the nice BofA feature that one month I underpaid my balance by $2 because their online payment is so lame you can't just click on your monthly balance to pay, but have to type it in. My typo, but they generously charged me finance charge on the entire balance, not just the $2 difference. Good thing they survived on tax payer bailout!
That's unfortunate. Did you try calling BofA for a one time waver? New cardholders and ones who've had it for some time can sometimes get it waved when it's an error and no pattern. Perhaps another go around is worth it.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:40 am

Programs: Former AS MVPG-hopefully again when the economy rebounds, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by tomcsa
I, just like most don't like to "lose" benefits, but if you do any mid-con, trans-con, AK, HI or First Class flights I still think $99 is a pretty good deal. I would think most people on this board fly more than enough where they need to go somewhere in AS's route system with a companion with tickets costing more than $200. If AS starts limiting fare class that will be a different story for me, but for now I will gladly pay the $75 annual fee and the $99 to get a second F ticket on a 5+ hour flight, plus earn miles we use on international F awards.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 7:48 am

Programs: Former AS MVPG-hopefully again when the economy rebounds, HHonors Gold, Starwood Gold
Renewal Letter from B of A

Did anyone else get the renewal letter this month that still listed the $50 companion fare benefit and the $25 discount on boardroom?

I thought it was funny given they made such a fanfare over raising the companion fare a couple month ago I would think they would have updated their renewal letter to $99. I guess it continues to show B of A's competence level.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:56 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by reflyer
Did anyone else get the renewal letter this month that still listed the $50 companion fare benefit and the $25 discount on boardroom?

I thought it was funny given they made such a fanfare over raising the companion fare a couple month ago I would think they would have updated their renewal letter to $99. I guess it continues to show B of A's competence level.
Actually my wife's account was credited in late August with a companion fare @$50. The letter only arrived last Friday with the $25 BR discount as well....

I agree; it is a fairly lame approach to marketing.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Silver, Marriott Titanium (Lifetime Platinum), UA Silver, OW Sapphire
For a segment hog like me, the increase of the companion fare to $99 is a non-issue. Let's see - 80 segments purchased this year = 80K miles due to the card; about 6K spent on tickets = another 18K. Right around 100K miles before even setting foot on the plane.

I'll stick with the BofA Visa until the purchase bennies disappear.

Dave
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:46 pm

My wife and both had a card, this year we're only flying together once, if they hadn't reduced the benefits I would have kept the card, but I just can't justify keeping two cards at the current benefit level, especially with our current travel patterns. I called to cancel the other day and the customer service agent didn't seem surprised when I said that it was because of the recent benefit reductions.
Old Oct 27, 2009, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, UA zilch, IHG Spire, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Plat, Hertz Gold, Avis Presidents
Originally Posted by davew-krdm
For a segment hog like me, the increase of the companion fare to $99 is a non-issue. Let's see - 80 segments purchased this year = 80K miles due to the card; about 6K spent on tickets = another 18K. Right around 100K miles before even setting foot on the plane.

I'll stick with the BofA Visa until the purchase bennies disappear.

Dave
even for someone who has ~10-20 segments purchased in a year, it's worth the $75 as that is another 15-40k miles depending on what you're up to. the companion cert is a benefit I actually don't use every time... (that said, if anyone is ever in need of a companion cert, I occasionally test the waters in CC with it - hit me up or search there)
Old Oct 30, 2009, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVPG

I too received the $50 renewal letter and $99 e-cert. For a minute there I thought I actually still got the $50 cert. Not excited about the change but two cards are still worth it for us. Lots of transcons and HI flights to use them on. Planning a nice multi-city next summer that will be well worth the $99 cert.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 3:07 pm

Programs: AS , AA, Hilton, Hyatt, Kimpton, Hertz
I think $99 is still one of the best deals out there. My wife and I used ours this year for one SEA/OGG F and one SEA/EWR F. With the scarcity of upgrades on these routes a good why to go if you want to avoid the back of the bus.
Old Oct 30, 2009, 9:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Alaska MVP, HHonors Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite, UA Kettle

Didn't get the $50 renewal letter, but as of tonight Bank of America's site is still advertising it as a $50 companion coupon: http://www.bankofamerica.com/alaska_..._alaskaair_sig

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.