Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Selecting Handicapped Seats with Impunity

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:22 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold

What is everyone's take on selecting the H/handicapped seats, particularly those in row 6? If I don't get an upgrade I will typically try to get a seat in row 6, ideally aisle for the extra leg room. When I can snag 6D, I do, but sometimes 6B/C may be the only ones open.

I'm not handicapped by any stretch of the imagination, just tall, so I would prefer the leg room but don't want to displace a truly deserving passenger of such a seat. My understanding is that I can select the seat as long as its available, with the knowledge that I may be booted if necessary. I've heard from other places I should refrain from selecting it at all unless my condition requires it.

(In practice, I've sat in 6C lots and never been the boot "victim." I'm not even sure what makes seats B&C in rows 6, 10, and 23 "handicapped" seats to begin with or what criteria might justify being placed there.)
Old Oct 8, 2009, 4:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Actually, I've wondered this too, so if someone can post the official word, I'd appreciate it, too!

FWIW, I saw a pilot (I assume he was commuting) in 6C on a recent flight, which made me think that I should be able to select that seat in the future without adverse reactions.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:01 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Boardroom, HH Diamond, National Executive
I was moved once from an ANC to SEA flight. Ended up in the middle exit row (was in 6C). I had picked the seat about six weeks or so pre flight not even thinking about it.

The day of the flight someone requested it. Technically, and I cannot confirm this, I believe a formal request is supposed to be made at least 48 hours in advance to get the seat if your needing it due to a disability. The person was blind and what could I do. I got called up (thinking I got an UG, awkward....) and told I was moved as was the person who picked the one next to me. She ended up further back.

So now, I don't chance it. 1. it's not good carma, if someone needs it, then I assume they will pick it. 2. I like knowing I won't get booted, not a gambler.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:09 pm
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
I select 6C now and then and assume the risk of having to move. Afterall if AS can fill the plane they arent going to let the H seats go empty just because there is no handicap requests for it. If you dont select it some last minute non status booking pax might get the seat at airport checkin when they get "Seat assignments are not available, please check in at the airport to receive a seat" (or something to that effect)
Old Oct 8, 2009, 7:42 pm

Programs: No status anywhere :(
Originally Posted by baliktad
My understanding is that I can select the seat as long as its available, with the knowledge that I may be booted if necessary.
You are correct. There is no "bad karma" associated with choosing that seat, just the risk that you might be moved to accommodate somebody with a bona fide need for the seat you picked. And there is no 48-hour notice requiremnet--only one hour's notice is necessary.
Old Oct 8, 2009, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by PDXOutbound
Technically, and I cannot confirm this, I believe a formal request is supposed to be made at least 48 hours in advance to get the seat if your needing it due to a disability.
This is not correct. The DOT mandates that an airline is required to provide handicapped seating to a disabled passenger if they request it up to an hour prior to departure. If another passenger is already seated in a handicap-accessible seat, we are required to move that passenger to another seat.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by ANC
I select 6C now and then and assume the risk of having to move. Afterall if AS can fill the plane they arent going to let the H seats go empty just because there is no handicap requests for it. If you dont select it some last minute non status booking pax might get the seat at airport checkin when they get "Seat assignments are not available, please check in at the airport to receive a seat" (or something to that effect)
Correct.... YMMV... but if selecting 6C... know you may be accommodated...
Old Oct 9, 2009, 12:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
Originally Posted by beckoa
Correct.... YMMV... but if selecting 6C... know you may be accommodated...
Um, you mean reaccommodated?
Old Oct 9, 2009, 1:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by jackal
Um, you mean reaccommodated?

No... they will just accommodate your posterior to the aft of the A/C
Old Oct 9, 2009, 1:58 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Even though I am deaf, and I am eligible to request that, I am placed in row 6 if I wanted to. However, I never do that, because there are other people with more severe disability (wheelchair, blind, mental retardation, etc) than I do.

However, on some carriers, when I go up to the desk when there is a delay or whatever, the gate agent will find out that I am deaf (no way to hide it) then sometimes would add that info to my itinerary then move me up when that is not my intention. That happens often on AA, I always get moved up to the first row of Y except for the 757, where the exit row is the first row in Y (I am not allowed to sit in exit rows). Oh well.

I think row 6 should be primarily for people/seniors in a wheelchair (easier to help them on and off the plane), so that makes sense for row 6 to always be designated as a HC seat, but I have no clue about rows 10 and 23.

If I were a hearing person, I would try to avoid row 6 when the flight is absolutely packed, otherwise if there were plenty of decent seats then I would take the risk.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 6:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG75K, Boardroom, HH Diamond, National Executive
Originally Posted by ben1120
This is not correct. The DOT mandates that an airline is required to provide handicapped seating to a disabled passenger if they request it up to an hour prior to departure. If another passenger is already seated in a handicap-accessible seat, we are required to move that passenger to another seat.

Thank you for clarifying. I just pick 6A anyway and hope for an UG, I have never been moved from 6A since it doesn't show as an H seat during seat selection, keeps it simple for me. I rarely travel last minute, so it's never been a problem.
Old Oct 9, 2009, 9:44 am
ANC

Programs: AS MVPG, CO, NW(now DL), Flying Blue
Originally Posted by PDXOutbound
Thank you for clarifying. I just pick 6A anyway and hope for an UG, I have never been moved from 6A since it doesn't show as an H seat during seat selection, keeps it simple for me. I rarely travel last minute, so it's never been a problem.
I still dont understand why 6C is HC except for maybe its proximity but if thats the case F should be HC seating in 1A. 6C doesnt even have movable armrests. Its much easier to crawl into 7C or 7D with a raised armrest @:-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.