Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Award seats

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2014, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Award seats

This may have been answered before but I can't find anything: a flight I've been looking at in July has been $450 round trip with the ability to book with 16 credits. Today I check and the flight is still $450 but can only use credits towards business class. Once the coach award seats disappear, are they gone for good or do some occasionally show up? I've seen it happen where you can't book awards when the full fare goes up but that's not the case here.

If it helps, this is for the nonstop service MKE-CUN that runs only on Saturdays. Would calling Airtran yield any different results?

Last edited by CivicDriver; Feb 19, 2014 at 10:23 pm Reason: Adding question
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:06 am

I don't understand. Are you talking one way or round trip?

Normally 16 credits gives you a coach round trip ticket. These are capacity controlled and on resort destinations often are used up quickly. You may also book a business class rewards ticket for 16 credits each way. These are also limited but are far more available.

It is possible that A+ Rewards tickets will reappear, it seems they regularly do on Southwest, but I've seldom seen it on Airtran. The resort destination also makes it less likely.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 9:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
I don't understand. Are you talking one way or round trip?

Normally 16 credits gives you a coach round trip ticket. These are capacity controlled and on resort destinations often are used up quickly. You may also book a business class rewards ticket for 16 credits each way. These are also limited but are far more available.

It is possible that A+ Rewards tickets will reappear, it seems they regularly do on Southwest, but I've seldom seen it on Airtran. The resort destination also makes it less likely.
Thanks for the reply. Yes, I was referring to round-trip. That's what I was afraid of.

It's darn near impossible to book a house rental separately from airfare when using these credits because availability is constantly changing! I find two dates on Airtran that allow awards and then, by the time I hear back from the rental owner, those dates are no longer available...
Old Feb 20, 2014, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by CivicDriver
It's darn near impossible to book a house rental separately from airfare when using these credits because availability is constantly changing! I find two dates on Airtran that allow awards and then, by the time I hear back from the rental owner, those dates are no longer available...
I've run into similar problems and have on occasion had to book the flights well in advance and then try to find a place to stay. Over New Years we had to book one night in a hotel, before moving to the condo we rented.

Fortunately we were able to find a nice place for New Years Eve and had a really nice time.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 1:29 pm

Find a place you would be ok staying, and then book a refundable booking. Then book your airfair, and then look all the way up until the travel date for a better place to stay. That formula normally works out for me.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by daw4888
Find a place you would be ok staying, and then book a refundable booking. Then book your airfair, and then look all the way up until the travel date for a better place to stay. That formula normally works out for me.
When renting houses or condos there is often a 30 day or longer cancellation policy.
Old Feb 20, 2014, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112
When renting houses or condos there is often a 30 day or longer cancellation policy.
Then you keep looking up until the last cancellation date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.