AirTran Companion Pass questions

Old Jan 12, 14, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

AirTran Companion Pass questions

Hi,
I searched the forum and airtran's website, but I can't find much in the way of details regarding the A+ Companion Pass. Forgive my ignorance, but how does the CP work?

I have 93,000 SW Rapid Reward points and 57 AirTran A+ reward points.

I'm pretty sure I can transfer the SW RR to A+ in order to have 134.5 A+ reward points.

What I am not sure exactly how the Companion Pass works.
I know it takes 100 points.

My wife & I fly to CUN frequently, so this would be ideal since that is an AirTran destination.

How do I "collect" the CP?
Is it good for International flights?
After purchasing the CP, are those 100 points "spent" or can I then still use them on flights?
How long is the CP good for and is there a limit to how many times it can be used?

Sorry for the dumb questions, but I couldn't find these answers anywhere.

Thanks for any help!

EDIT: I did find out that with SW (and probably AT), you have to earn all of those miles within 1 calendar year. Does that mean if I transfer the miles from SW to AT, the points I earned in 2013 won't count toward an AT CP?

Last edited by RTL44; Jan 12, 14 at 7:09 pm
Old Jan 14, 14, 7:54 am

If you get the FL CP then you are spending the 100 points to get the CP and those are gone after you buy the CP so make sure you understand that and use them wisely.

93,000 SW points is around $1600 (pre-devalue) or $1300 (post-devalue). Not sure how much the FL credits are worth but its prob a lot as well.
Old Jan 14, 14, 8:06 am

First I would suggest you consider this carefully.

The Airtran Companion Pass costs 100 credits, those credits are gone forever.

The pass is good for one year.

Whether you will get use out of it is a good question and depends on how often your really go. With that many credits and points you can fly to CUN 8 times in business class or 2 round trips together, 4 if you can get A+ tickets, subject to limited availability.

At present you cannot use an Airtran CP on Southwest or the other way around.

Keep in mind that Airtran is supposed to be gone by this time next year. Southwest is transitioning Airtran flights to Southwest. No one really knows when CUN will go but it seems likely 3Q of this year.
Old Jan 14, 14, 1:12 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the input - that is very helpful!

So are you saying that CUN won't be offered as a destination anymore or that it may be retained through the SW brand?
Old Jan 14, 14, 1:18 pm

No one can be certain but in all probability at some point CUN will be moved to Southwest.

Southwest has talked about starting to fly internationally and Mexico seems like a good place to start since Airtran already goes there.

There is supposed to be a big announcement in a couple of weeks so maybe we'll know more then.

Last edited by rsteinmetz70112; Jan 14, 14 at 11:21 pm
Old Jan 14, 14, 3:19 pm

Hopefully we can use SW's CP on those routes, but I think its highly likely they then limited CP to "domestic" only.
Old Jan 15, 14, 3:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rsteinmetz70112 View Post
No one can be certain but in all probability at some point CUN will be moved to Southwest.

Southwest has talked about starting to fly internationally and Mexico seems like a good place to start since Airtran already goes there.

There is supposed to be a big announcement in a couple of weeks so maybe we'll know more then.
OH! OK. That doesn't concern me quite as much as long as SW will fly there. I can always transfer my A+ rewards to SW. I'll likely just not get the CP and save my points to use on flights.

Search this Thread