Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Info Requested re: "Bumped" Definition

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:15 am
Original Poster

Info Requested re: "Bumped" Definition

Hello. My first post! Would appreciate all comments, suggestions, info, etc. regarding my questions.

Background - 12/7/2014, hubby & I at MCO gate; time to board; flying AirTran MCO to IND. Our plane was given to a Chicago flight & our flight's passengers were told that our flight was "cancelled". This was not a weather issue - MCO to IND was fine (as was MCO to Chicago). No plane malfunction, obviously.

AirTran claims we were a "cancelled" flight.

Questions -
1. According to DOT rules, would we not qualify for "involuntarily" being "bumped" compensation, which is higher? $300 is what they were given to volunteers!
2. According to DOT rules, can we get cash instead of flight credit?

We got -
1. hotel overnight with transport
2. $300 each person flight credit w/i 1 year (in my email box; haven't opened yet)
3. flight to IND next day on SWA (we got the last 2 seats!).

AirTran would not put us on another airline flight that same day because "Southwest doesn't use other airlines". SWA is the parent company of course. Even though we stated that hubby did not have any more heart meds with him (that was kind of scary).

Notes -
By the time we got served, all of the same day AT & SWA flights were full.

We think the switch was made because our flight was not full & the Chicago flight was - less comp for AirTran.

We'd prefer the cash rather than the flight credit. Are they required to give us that?

I have emailed these quesitons to DOT, but who knows if I'll get a response.

Just want some other opinions/info before contacting AirTran & accepting their comp.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Julie
Old Dec 16, 2013, 9:47 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FlyerTalk, TwoTravelers!

Let's shift your query over to the Airtran forum, where the knowledgeable members there can provide some more insight.

/JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Dec 17, 2013, 7:12 am
Original Poster

Thank you.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, you are not entitled to DOT IDB compensation. It only applies to oversold flights where the flight actually departs, but you do not because there is not a seat available (while you have a confirmed reservation for the flight). It does not apply to cancellations regardless of the reason for the cancellation.

You can request a refund in the event of a flight cancellation, but then the airline is no longer obligated to transport you to your destination. If you accepted their alternate transportation, you are no longer entitled to a refund. No, they are not obligated to put you on other carriers.
Old Jan 2, 2014, 7:16 am

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/publi...tm#overbooking
DOT defines involuntary bumping. However, with my experience with AirTran recently, AirTran goes around the rule, so according to them the rule does not apply to myself and spouse when they involuntary bumped us on 12/19/13 from our 12/22/13 nonstop flight 817 from BWI to Punta Cana. We were involuntary bumped, but we were not Involuntary Denied Boarding (IDB) on 12/22/13, the day of our originally paid for flight with paid for advanced seating assignments! Airlines can do whatever they want legally, and it their right! But what are our rights as cosumers/customers? I submitted a complaint with DOT, and Better Business Bureau of Atlanta, GA prior to my trip, and to AirTran when we returned from family vacation. AirTran's unfair treatment of its customers or consumers is unacceptable. AirTran offered to refund $749 including seating fees! They do what is good for them, and not what it is good for customers. Overselling flights is a common legal business practice! We departed BWI on 12/22/13 at 7:55am, meaning we had to be at airport by 6am, arrived Atlanta at 9:55am with over 7 hours layover, departed at 5:40pm, arrived Punta Cana at 10pm. We were so stressed out and exhausted by the time we arrived at our hotel close to midnight! I have calmed down a little; it is now time for letter writing, blogging, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.