Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

No change fee & 2 free bags? [Southwest's wanna get away fare]

Old Oct 24, 13, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LY Gold; BA Silver;

Hi everybody,
For a future flight I'm currently considering flying AA or Air Tran. The ability to change my flights is very important to me and so does taking baggage.
I have entered Air Tran's website and over there I see that for the lowest coach fare there is change fee and baggage fees. However, upon searching for the same flights at southwest.com, it lists the "wanna get away" fare and states that I'll be entitled to 2 free bags and no change fees (other than fee differences). The fare is the same at both of the websites. So is it really better purchasing the flight at southwest.com? Will I really be entitled for all of that?

Thanks in advance
Old Oct 24, 13, 2:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
While it's true that WN doesn't impose a change fee, it's wrong to presume that a change will be cost free. You will pay the fare difference. Because WN's fare structure almost certainly precludes cheap fares near flight time, the actual cost can be quite significant.

AA, on the other hand, offers same day change for no more than $75. There are, however restrictions.

Before choosing WN over AA on cost alone, make sure that you've looked at the reasons which might mean a change for you and when you might need to change those.
Old Oct 24, 13, 2:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LY Gold; BA Silver;
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Before choosing WN over AA on cost alone, make sure that you've looked at the reasons which might mean a change for you and when you might need to change those.
I do prefer AA as I'm an elite, however I may need to make a change in the day of the flight, however it may involve delaying it by a day or two, and thats why I consider WN/FL. And also since there is currently $100 fare difference.
Old Oct 25, 13, 8:58 am

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
I am elite. But if you are not elite, WN is pretty much saying that if you need to check in bags, just don't do it on the Airtran website even if you are traveling Airtran. nice way to treat WN passengers differently from Airtran. By the way, on my last flight, some WN passenger ( I assume based on a brief conversation I had with him later after we left the plane) pretty much took my seat in Airtran because it was available and the flight attendant supposedly told him(according to what another passenger told me later) that if someone with that seat comes in, he would have to move. Gee, FA, nice way to force me to be the bad guy if it had to come to that. Luckily for him, I had 1D which I dont like and 3F was the only other seat open when I boarded last. So I didn't make too much fuss after telling him that he was sitting in MY seat. I just went and took 3F though I would have happily kicked him out if somone came to 3F in the last second.
Old Oct 25, 13, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
We just finished some flights on AirTran booked through Southwest. Can't comment on the change fees but we did get the free bags. The only other difference when you book on the SW site is you don't get to select seats - you have to wait until you check in and they assign seats for you. On our flight home we were both in window seats on opposite sides - right next to each other on the way there.
Old Oct 26, 13, 12:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
Originally Posted by bj2757 View Post
We just finished some flights on AirTran booked through Southwest. Can't comment on the change fees but we did get the free bags. The only other difference when you book on the SW site is you don't get to select seats - you have to wait until you check in and they assign seats for you. On our flight home we were both in window seats on opposite sides - right next to each other on the way there.
Can you do online check in at 24 hours?

I'm in the same situation. I booked my AirTran flight through Southwest (using my points).

dh
Old Oct 26, 13, 12:31 pm

Programs: AA, SWA, CO, UA, PC Plat, HH Gold, SPG
Originally Posted by dhammer53 View Post
Can you do online check in at 24 hours?

I'm in the same situation. I booked my AirTran flight through Southwest (using my points).

dh
Yes - did it through the Southwest site at the 24 hour mark. It will assign you seats and I understand if you don't like them the gate agents are able to change them (if any are available).
Old Oct 26, 13, 8:28 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
Assuming you are not elite:
If you don';t check in bags, reserve your flight on Airtran's site. If you check in bags, reserve your flight on WN's site and go to the airport early if you want a seat assignment that badly . If the flight is not full, you should be able to get an OK seat assigned by the TA.
Old Oct 27, 13, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by saneman View Post
Assuming you are not elite:
If you don';t check in bags, reserve your flight on Airtran's site. If you check in bags, reserve your flight on WN's site and go to the airport early if you want a seat assignment that badly . If the flight is not full, you should be able to get an OK seat assigned by the TA.
The other advantage of booking at Southwest is no change fees and if you cancel you can use the credit for another flight.
Old Oct 31, 13, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Do they have plans to merge such policies?
Old Nov 1, 13, 7:31 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan View Post
Do they have plans to merge such policies?
Probably but they aren't sharing.

My best guess is that when Southwests new system comes on line next year we will see some changes.

Why they aren't doing some simple things now is a mystery to me.

They could:
  • Allow drink coupons to be used on either airline.
  • Allow credits to be applied to flights on either airline.
Among other things

Search this Thread