Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Airtran A+ converted into Rapid Rewards 2014

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2013, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond VIP, IC Priority Club Platinum Elite, AA Elite, A+Rewards Elite, Delta Silver

The email I received today from Airtran/Southwest. I am so annoyed considering points are not what they used to be on Southwest in terms of segments. I tried to convert a recent flight on Southwest into Airtran A+ and instead of 2 points it was only .75, reality is we have to fly more to achieve more. NOT EXCITED ABOUT THIS PROGRAM CHANGE IN 2014.

"We are excited that Rapid Rewards® will be the loyalty program of the combined airline. If you haven’t already done so, I encourage you to join and see how easy it is to earn points and redeem for reward travel. Rapid Rewards is an award-winning program that offers unlimited reward seats, no blackout dates, and points that don’t expire*. A Rapid Rewards Membership will also enable you to transfer your A+ Rewards Credits for use on Southwest Airlines through Rewards Conversion. Whether you are earning or redeeming, you have access to over 90 award destinations across our combined route network."
Kevin Krone
Vice President and Chief Marketing Officer
Southwest Airlines
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:13 pm

That was to be expected. They have consistently said Airtran would be gone in 2014, even though the conversion seems to be at a slower pace than that.

Interesting that they didn't say when they would be integrated.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HHonors Diamond VIP, IC Priority Club Platinum Elite, AA Elite, A+Rewards Elite, Delta Silver
True but I miss the old Rapid Rewards program that pretty much mirrored Airtrans A+ program. This has been a 4 year merger, I was sitting at the ATL airport in October 2010 when they announced it on television.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:53 pm

I'd look for it to happen sometime third or fourth quarter of 2014. I wonder if they'll give any of us A+ status on Southwest. (instead of A-) I'll be AirTran A+ qualified through 2015 on Sunday.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 7:47 pm

Programs: American and Southwest. Hilton and Marriott hotels primarily.
Originally Posted by NCLSEA123
I'd look for it to happen sometime third or fourth quarter of 2014. I wonder if they'll give any of us A+ status on Southwest. (instead of A-) I'll be AirTran A+ qualified through 2015 on Sunday.
I don't know. Did you fly 50 segments on Airtran to get that status? If not, why would WN give you A+ status ?
Old Sep 12, 2013, 8:13 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Dumb question... A rolling 12mo period for status from now doesn't reach 2015?

I understand credits until then.

Last edited by traveller001; Sep 12, 2013 at 8:28 pm
Old Sep 12, 2013, 9:00 pm

I'll answer. My Wife had the requisite number of segments (50 and many more) and was only given A-List status. Hopefully this will change.

I would point out that the Airtran Elite status was renewed at about half the of Southwest's A-List.

What I wonder about most is when Vouchers due to IROPS will become interoperable. Currently Airtran's are more valuable because of exotic destinations. Relatively soon that advantage will evaporate.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Angry And the A+ points are getting harder to use!

And the A+ points are getting harder to use! There are many more dates with business class flights only. They are really making it difficult! Frustrated!
Old Sep 13, 2013, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by Charitab
And the A+ points are getting harder to use! There are many more dates with business class flights only. They are really making it difficult! Frustrated!
I actually don't see that. However Rewards trips to vacation destinations at popular times have always been difficult. You need to plan way ahead and snag them as soon as the schedule opens.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
I noticed better availability through southwest...so you'd have to transfer them there to get the southwest standard award, but I saw some airtran flights that had business only on airtran that you could book for a standard award on southwest.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001

I'm not sure what you're saying here.

A-List is calendar year.

Airtran Elite is for 12 months renewable on your anniversary. Flights after qualifying until your anniversary don't count to Elite Status. In my case renewal is Feb 1. On that date flights will begin to apply to the next extension which would be useless, because even if Airtran isn't gone by 12/2014, it surely won't last until 2/2016

Even though my Elite is good until Feb 2015 in January 2014 I expect I will have to call and get my A-List match renewed. That's what I had to do last year, in the middle of a trip on Southwest.
Old Sep 13, 2013, 3:03 pm
Suspended

I actually agree with this. Having looked for various reward bookings (A+) the option for biz class is always there and economy becomes harder to find.

I hope that Airtran sticks around for a bit longer. And yes, I still hate Southwest. It's just good for a short hop, that's about it...anyway this is the Airtran forum. And for now, they STILL EXIST! YAY!
Old Sep 15, 2013, 12:19 pm

Originally Posted by traveller001

On the website, it says I have 1 credit to renew my status. I currently expire in April 2014, hence 1 more credit should run me through 1 year from April 2014, I would assume. Perhaps that's not how it works?
Old Sep 15, 2013, 5:51 pm

On the website, it says I have 1 credit to renew my status. I currently expire in April 2014, hence 1 more credit should run me through 1 year from April 2014, I would assume. Perhaps that's not how it works?
Just took the flight. My status now expires in April 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.