Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Question about a 24 hour UG on a connecting flight and free luggage

Old Aug 23, 13, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver

A co-worker is flying PIT/ATL/CUN next week. He and his wife are considering a 24 hour UG, but only on the ATL/CUN segment, which they tell me costs $89. When they checkin at PIT - flying Y to ATL & F to CUN - will they get the F free luggage allowance?

***New to your forum!***
Old Aug 23, 13, 7:07 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Nope... free bags only applies if first leg is upgraded.

Given the cost of checking more than one bag per person upgrading PIT-ATL might still be considered by some worth it. It also would shorten the time to deplane in ATL.
Old Aug 25, 13, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by traveller001 View Post
Nope... free bags only applies if first leg is upgraded.
Thanx for your help! I'll keep checking here in case anyone has any additional thoughts on the subject.

As it looks, F & Y are both sold out on FL44 on Wednesday, so it probably won't matter anyway!

Old Aug 25, 13, 9:08 pm

No fares show but it appears BC seats are available...

https://tickets.airtran.com/SeatAvai...2%20AM|ATL|CUN

First leg upgrade would get free bags... The longer leg appears to be still available.
Old Sep 2, 13, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Here's an update as to what happened, for anyone who's interested . . . .

He called AirTran at the 24 hour mark for the originating flight from PIT. He was told to call back later, at the 24 hour mark for the ATL/CUN flight. He hung up and called back, and the 2nd agent didn't say a word about calling back later.

Anyway, apparently there WERE BC seats available. The phone agent did the UG immediately for the 2nd leg, and told him that their bags WOULD BE FREE!

At check-in at PIT, they WOULD NOT give them free bags! They were charged $50 for 2 bags - - $25 each. They told him to call in to the Company when they get home.

I told him that he should have had the agent document it in the record, but, of course, not everyone thinks to do that. They just take the phone agent's word that whatever they tell you, will work!

Any thoughts on how this'll play out? Are they usually accommodating in these types of circumstances, as to giving a refund?

Old Sep 2, 13, 9:19 pm

IMO Kudos to the agents at PIT for following the rules. Which I had previously advised you of...
Old Sep 3, 13, 6:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by traveller001 View Post
IMO Kudos to the agents at PIT for following the rules. Which I had previously advised you of...
So, you're giving kudos to a company for alienating a long time customer for telling them one thing on the phone, and not honoring it when they arrive at the airport?

I realize now, that you're a Company employee, and while I appreciate your info, as to the official policy on this, I think it's a mistake to treat customers in this manner, and I certainly hope the customer service team straightens this out for them.
Old Sep 3, 13, 6:50 pm

I understand the apparent miscommunication.

866-AIR-CHAT is the CRD number.
Old Oct 13, 13, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Just a follow-up, in case anyone is interested . . . .

When he got home from his trip, he called and was told that the baggage fee would be credited to his credit card. It showed up on his credit card statement about 5 days later.

All is good. Thanx for your integrity, FL.

Search this Thread