Search

Considering Jumping Ship to FL...?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2013, 2:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Considering Jumping Ship to FL...?

Hey FL people,
Looks like I'm moving to the MIA/FLL area, but will still be working in WAS and doing the somewhat weekly commute. I've been platinum with both DL and US the last few years which have been ok, but I'm thinking of jumping ship to FL for a few reasons. The combination of the number of non stops between FLL-BWI and their costs have perked up my interest, but not sure if I should totally ditch US or DL fully just yet. I like the upgrades I get on US and I like the international award tickets with both SkyTeam and Star Alliance partners, but should I give them up for cheap and quick non stops? I'm curious to hear what you folks have to say about FL. Are there any other perks that I would get with FL that I would not get with DL or US? How do upgrades work with FL? FWIW, I expect to do about 25-30 r/t trips between FLL and BWI per year. DL doesn't do this route nonstop, so they're out the question, but US does a FLL-DCA and I usually get upgraded with them. Does it makes sense to switch to FL or just stick with US and pay up the extra ~$50 per week?
Thanks!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 6:36 am

If FL weren't being dismantled, the answer would be easier.

A Plat like your fine self would miss the occasional upgrade until hitting FL elite. If schedule frequency trumps, go with FL.

Status with three carriers is a tough juggling act.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 7:58 am
Suspended

I don't know, but I'm not a big fan of FLL, whatever airline you chose. I have been there on mornings where the line for security went down the corridors and practically into the parking garages.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG Spire
If you can get 6 round trips in 90 days, you'll get Elite status then. So you'd only miss 6 round trips worth of potential upgrades. It sounds like that is doable.

I think if you do that many RTs a year on a single route, and they are that much cheaper on FL, I'd switch partly to FL, and probably juggle them and US.

Upgrades are at the gate only, based on availability and check-in time. There is only one elite class on FL.

One other thing, I think that, despite the lack of far international tickets you can buy with your miles, you'll get more value out of FL credits than a legacy carrier's miles for these repeated shorter hops.

But yeah, this is probably a 1-2 year thing you are doing.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is an AA market. AA has 10 non-stops MIA-DCA. Means flexibility and the convenience of being downtown in DC in 10 minutes after landing. BWI is DC only by virtue of carrier marketing. It's either a 45-60 minute car service / cab ride or a bus to an Amtrak/MARC train to Metro ride (90 mins+ total).

If time is money in business, it ain't worth it.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 8:42 am

Programs: AA LifetimeGold, WN A-ListPreferred, B6 Mosaic, ChoicePrivileges Diamond, BestWestern Diamond Select
Originally Posted by dk240t
If you can get 6 round trips in 90 days, you'll get Elite status then. So you'd only miss 6 round trips worth of potential upgrades. It sounds like that is doable.

I think if you do that many RTs a year on a single route, and they are that much cheaper on FL, I'd switch partly to FL, and probably juggle them and US.

Upgrades are at the gate only, based on availability and check-in time. There is only one elite class on FL.

One other thing, I think that, despite the lack of far international tickets you can buy with your miles, you'll get more value out of FL credits than a legacy carrier's miles for these repeated shorter hops.

But yeah, this is probably a 1-2 year thing you are doing.
In fact, just 5 RTs, so even better. This from FLs site:
" When you earn 10 or more A+ credits flying AirTran Airways within any 90-day period or earn 25 or more A+ credits flying AirTran Airways within any 365-day period, you qualify for A+ Rewards Elite Membership."
Old Jan 3, 2013, 5:53 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
FWIW, here are some questions for you & my related thoughts:

1) Which airports are the most convenient for you? Given your OP I'm guessing FLL is better than MIA at the Florida end, but where are you trying to get to in the DC area? BWI is not at all convenient to the VA suburbs of DC and somewhat inconvenient to downtown DC (although you can take AmTrak or MARC light rail from BWI to DC, as noted by Often1 above).

2) How likely are you to want/need to reschedule your flights? As much as I hate to encourage others to fly AA, their MIA service gives the most flexibility to WAS. AirTran is almost as good out of BWI with 6 n/s daily, so maybe this will be close enough to not matter to you.

3) How much do you value your US (& DL) status? Will flying FL regularly prevent you from keeping your status on one or both of those airlines?

On the plus side for AirTran, you will earn A+ elite status in very little time, enjoy the service (especially up front), and the flights look to be quite a bit cheaper. Only you can decide the time/$/convenience balance that makes the most sense for you.

Please let us know what you decide!
Old Jan 4, 2013, 6:13 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
Although AA may have frequency to allow more changes to be possible, AirTran allows changes/refunds for free in the two highest coach fare levels for elites and in more (all?) levels in the Small Business program. Don't know if AA has anything similar.

For all fares, AirTran only allows 24 hour refunds for flights over 7 days away, maybe AA offers a true 24 hour refund.

SWA integration could change all of this in an instant, of course. Or it could stay the same for a year or longer. No one knows.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 7:36 am

Also, Airtran still offers credits for price drops...so there is the possibility of catching some sale fares for already booked flights and getting some credit back.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold
Thanks y'all! I'm going to be working in the Maryland suburbs of DC, so BWI works out a tad better than DCA and definitely way better than IAD. Maybe I'll wait it out a little bit and see if W9/FL will join the TSA PreCheck program before fully moving over. BWI and FLL have TSA PreCheck, but neither terminals where FL flies in/out are set up yet. I got used to not having to wait in security lines, so really not looking forward to waiting in stupidly long lines. Does FL at least have an elite line at security or is it everyone through the same corral?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:36 am

BWI doesn't have a fast lane for Airtran Elites (at least it didn't when I went there regularly).

And the lines can be very bad...I originally got elite status on Airtran primarily from flying back and forth between Atlanta and BWI after I started a new job in Atlanta and wife was in DC area, and I had long long lines at security coming back from weekend trips a lot.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 4:34 pm

Programs: Former business traveler now working from home
Originally Posted by dk240t
BWI doesn't have a fast lane for Airtran Elites (at least it didn't when I went there regularly).
Perhaps you overlooked it? At least one of the Terminal A/B security lines at BWI (the one on the left-hand side of the upper level) has an Airtran Elite fast lane. That and regular Elite upgrades on FL make my weekly BOS-BWI commute quite bearable. Too bad WN has eliminated all the Airtran flights at a convenient time for commuters...
Old Jan 26, 2013, 9:42 pm

Programs: United Silver
Originally Posted by MikeInMass
Perhaps you overlooked it? At least one of the Terminal A/B security lines at BWI (the one on the left-hand side of the upper level) has an Airtran Elite fast lane. That and regular Elite upgrades on FL make my weekly BOS-BWI commute quite bearable. Too bad WN has eliminated all the Airtran flights at a convenient time for commuters...
AirTran Elites and Business Class passengers definitely have a FlyBy lane at the B security checkpoint. I've used that many times myself, though I'm usually there at 5am, when it doesn't matter much.

As to what Often1 said, though BWI is closer to Baltimore than DC, it's easy to forget that BWI is just as close to downtown DC as IAD. Though DCA is clearly the most convenient for those traveling to downtown DC, I would say that BWI would be second-most convenient, considering the public transportation options available. When the Sliver line is finished, that will help IAD travelers considerably.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 6:56 pm

Programs: My opinions are my own and not that of my employer(s)
Free same day standby?

Book a later in the day non-stop and get out of work early. You could possibly fly an earlier direct or BWI-ATL-FLL and be home quicker. Think of all those planned Friday things that get cancelled.... For no extra cost.

Or some people book BWI-ATL-FLL and if seats are available on the direct same deal.

Free same day standby is one of the biggest business traveller perks of FL.
Old Feb 2, 2013, 2:03 am

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
Remember that WN has purchased FL and at some point the two will truly be one. Assuming WN sticks with the one class product your ability to get upgrades would be limited to the time period before the two airlines completely integrate. You run the risk of losing your elite status for a much less valuable elite status, IMHO.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.