Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

AirTran-Southwest merger gets antitrust clearance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2011, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

http://www.ajc.com/business/airtran-...ts-925730.html
Old Apr 26, 2011, 4:31 pm

It's a done deal.

Farewell AirTran. It was great while it lasted.
Old Apr 26, 2011, 5:07 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
Old Apr 26, 2011, 9:06 pm

We'll always have BWI, AirTran...
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:41 am

I'm going to have to take a serious look at my credits and determine whether I want to book flights now or wait for Southwest to announce what they're doing with FL credits when rolling over into RR 2.0

I'm giving strong consideration to using my credits for travel on another airline. Gives a lot more flexibility, plus I'll earn miles on the other carrier. Plus, I think these "boutique" awards will be among the first to go away when Southwest starts to tinker with FL.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]
Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
I'm going to have to take a serious look at my credits and determine whether I want to book flights now or wait for Southwest to announce what they're doing with FL credits when rolling over into RR 2.0

I'm giving strong consideration to using my credits for travel on another airline. Gives a lot more flexibility, plus I'll earn miles on the other carrier. Plus, I think these "boutique" awards will be among the first to go away when Southwest starts to tinker with FL.
I'm in the same boat, but I'm not in a big rush. Maybe I'm being too naive, but Southwest has generally been quite reasonable when they have changed their program (except for the drink coupon debacle). Having A+ credits convert into "old-style" WN credits would be really good for my situation; having my A+ credits convert into 1000-1200 "new-style" WN points would be tolerable for me.

In your case, Hoss, if you don't have any obvious use for Southwest tickets AND you have the ability to book worthwhile legacy tickets this week (before May 2nd, when Southwest has announced that the merger will be finalized), I would seriously consider making those bookings ASAP. On the other hand, AirTran isn't going to disappear until 2012 at the earliest, so you should have time to make "cheaper" bookings on AirTran, getting more trips than you can get via their legacy offer.

There are some good ways to boost your A+ balance, if you're close to some award threshold. I've been renting from Hertz and getting 1.5 credits for a one-day rental. At MKE, that probably costs ~$30 on a weekend day.
Old Apr 27, 2011, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
Was nice knowing you FL!

Won't fly WN though unless I have to.
Old May 1, 2011, 8:24 am

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
I have been flying Airtran for all my flights but I doubt that will continue once Southwest fully takes over. I don't think my company will keep Southwest as a preferred airline to fly for business like they have had Airtran so I guess it will be Delta for me once Southwest fully takes over.
Old May 1, 2011, 8:59 am

Originally Posted by westau
I have been flying Airtran for all my flights but I doubt that will continue once Southwest fully takes over. I don't think my company will keep Southwest as a preferred airline to fly for business like they have had Airtran so I guess it will be Delta for me once Southwest fully takes over.
Same here. I will be switching to DL and F9 for most of my travel, but will probably use WN occassionally.
Old May 13, 2011, 2:57 pm

Programs: HHonors DM, Airtran Elite, Delta SM
Moving on to Delta. First 4 flights w/Delta this month had big delays. Shocker.
Old May 13, 2011, 8:54 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Airtran A+ Elite
Originally Posted by bamalawdawg
Moving on to Delta. First 4 flights w/Delta this month had big delays. Shocker.
I noticed when looking at flights recently on Delta from ATL-FLL that the on time percentage seemed to be noticeably lower then Airtran.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.