Wiki Posts
Search

Elite Upgrades, Food & Baggage

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, Delta, Hilton & Marriott Elite
Elite Upgrades, Food & Baggage

I'm currently elite with American and Delta. It makes sense for me to have the lower status on two programs instead of higher with one since I travel to a huge variety of places.

I have had it with Delta (I could go on for days about the way they treated me this year, but this isn't the place). That leaves me with Air Tran as about the most logical airline possibility for my area (I fly from Central Illinois). What about Air Tran...

Upgrades-How often do you get them?

Food-The Air Tran site is showing NO food. Is this really true? Even on long flights?

Baggage-How many bags are you allowed for free if you are Air Tran elite?

Thanks,
Marcia
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by MarciaLF
I'm currently elite with American and Delta. It makes sense for me to have the lower status on two programs instead of higher with one since I travel to a huge variety of places.

I have had it with Delta (I could go on for days about the way they treated me this year, but this isn't the place). That leaves me with Air Tran as about the most logical airline possibility for my area (I fly from Central Illinois). What about Air Tran...

Upgrades-How often do you get them?

Food-The Air Tran site is showing NO food. Is this really true? Even on long flights?

Baggage-How many bags are you allowed for free if you are Air Tran elite?

Thanks,
Marcia
The elite program on AirTran is great. I've gotten upgraded on more than 80% of my flights this year. Check the sticky at the top of this forum to see more detail on what I and others have experienced for upgrades.

Other than small snacks, you are correct. There are no meals onboard. I just buy something to go in the airport if I want to have something to do on longer flights. There is no in-flight video, but the XM satellite radio is a great option to have, plus it's free. There is also gogo inflight internet available for a fee. I use it every time...it's especially helpful on the longer flights.

Elites can check up to two bags for free.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by newsmanhoss
The elite program on AirTran is great. I've gotten upgraded on more than 80% of my flights this year. Check the sticky at the top of this forum to see more detail on what I and others have experienced for upgrades.

Other than small snacks, you are correct. There are no meals onboard. I just buy something to go in the airport if I want to have something to do on longer flights. There is no in-flight video, but the XM satellite radio is a great option to have, plus it's free. There is also gogo inflight internet available for a fee. I use it every time...it's especially helpful on the longer flights.

Elites can check up to two bags for free.
Thanks. Sounds good except for the food. I'm always juggling carryons and enjoy having a meal (or at least snacks) served to me. I guess I'll just use them for mostly short flights.

Macia
Old Jan 2, 2010, 4:17 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
Other than small snacks, you are correct.\
I thought FL was going to start Buy on Board food service?? That would be great if they did for the longer flights!
Old Jan 2, 2010, 9:31 pm

Originally Posted by gsupstate
I thought FL was going to start Buy on Board food service?? That would be great if they did for the longer flights!
Skybites was to have started earlier last year, but it never did get off the ground.

Last edited by RSVP; Jan 3, 2010 at 8:09 am
Old Jan 2, 2010, 10:13 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Skymiles
Originally Posted by RSVP
Skybites was to have started earlier this year, but it never did get off the ground.
Jeez, come on, give it a chance, it's only been 2 days!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 11:24 am
Original Poster

I'm surprised. Snack packs seem to sell on the other airlines. I'd much rather pay $4-5 for some cheese, crackers, dried fruit and nuts than juggle a messy sandwich onto the plane!

Marcia
Old Jan 3, 2010, 1:47 pm

Programs: HH Gold; AA AAdvantage Mbr; DL Skymiles Silver Medallion; World of Hyatt Mbr; NK Free Spirit Mbr
I'm surprised. Snack packs seem to sell on the other airlines. I'd much rather pay $4-5 for some cheese, crackers, dried fruit and nuts than juggle a messy sandwich onto the plane!

Marcia
Hear, hear!! Give me something that was DESIGNED to be consumed in the tight confines of an airliner cabin, please!
Old Jan 3, 2010, 2:14 pm

Marcia
Graham cracker type snacks in the morning and pretzels in the afternoon for coach class.
......but in Business class they serve a variety of snacks like chips, crackers, bagel bites, cookies, and granola bars.....free.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:12 pm

I really am disappointed that SkyBites never became a reality, despite formal communications from AirTran announcing the program.

http://pressroom.airtran.com/phoenix...586&highlight=

I wonder what happened?
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:29 pm

I really am disappointed that SkyBites never became a reality, despite formal communications from AirTran announcing the program.

http://pressroom.airtran.com/phoenix...586&highlight=

I wonder what happened?
....Another "can't see the forest for the trees" decision by yet another airline.
Old Jan 3, 2010, 4:34 pm

Originally Posted by airtran1
......but in Business class they serve a variety of snacks like chips, crackers, bagel bites, cookies, and granola bars.....free.
The Pepperidge Farms snacks and cookies are fantastic.

The cookies are better than Midwest's chocolate chip, and you can have all you want.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 5:48 pm

Not much of a response

We did offer skybites, however at this time we are not. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Amy Baker
Customer Relations Department
AirTran Airways

*When replying to this e-mail please leave all documentation intact*
Old Jan 6, 2010, 6:41 pm

We did offer skybites, however at this time we are not. I am sorry for any disappointment this may cause you.

Sincerely,

Amy Baker
AirTran Airways

Interesting. Frankly, I don't remember seeing them at all. Who knows what happened. Thanks for checking on this, RSVP.
Old Jan 6, 2010, 7:55 pm

Sincerely,

Amy Baker
AirTran Airways

Bad call, Air Tran....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.