Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > Airtran Airways | A+ Rewards
Reload this Page >

Bonus A+ Reward Credits for buying Gift Cards Returns!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2009, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC G, WN A-, Hyatt G, HH G, MAR T, Hz PC, was [UA2P, FL A+Elite, BD G]

Hi all,

This has been around for almost a week now; I forgot to post it earlier:

http://www.airtran.com/programs/gift_certificates.aspx

NEW! Limited Time Offer: Earn A+ Credits When You Purchase Gift Certificates!
From November 19, 2009, through February 10, 2010, earn 1 A+ credit for every $100 in AirTran Airways gift certificates you purchase. Gift certificate orders cannot be combined to qualify for A+ credits.

I was just about to buy a LGA-MKE-LGA roundtrip when I remembered this promo. I bought some gift certs at $100 each - they immediately e-mailed me the certs - I then booked my trip, paying with the certs ($153 all-in roundtrip - what a bargain!). The next day, my A+ account had received the bonus credits from the gift certs.

Those of you thinking of booking flights on AirTran in the next couple of months, remember this if you want to earn some extra A+ credits.
Old Nov 27, 2009, 5:02 pm

Great tip. Thanks!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 2:06 pm

I noticed the promotion. It is good to know that they immediately e-mail the certificates.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:18 pm

I just purchased a $980 business fare from Airtran, does this mean if I use 10 gift certs + buy my flight with them I will get the 1.5x bonus as well. So 14 A+ points?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by P3R3
I just purchased a $980 business fare from Airtran, does this mean if I use 10 gift certs + buy my flight with them I will get the 1.5x bonus as well. So 14 A+ points?
If you already bought the tickets then buying the GC now won't help you. If you bought the GC you will get 1 credit for each $100 in certificates (10 credits). You would then get your normal credit you would get for the actual flights. a round trip would net you 3 more credits.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by dioxide45
If you already bought the tickets then buying the GC now won't help you. If you bought the GC you will get 1 credit for each $100 in certificates (10 credits). You would then get your normal credit you would get for the actual flights. a round trip would net you 3 more credits.
Well its a refundable fare, so I can just rebook at any time.

Thanks!

Those 10 credits would get me elite status as well, though I never use AirTran since I am on the west coast.

It is kind of cryptic as well. Do I have to buy 10 separate gift certs of $100 or can I just buy one $1000 one?
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:34 pm

Thanks!

Those 10 credits would get me elite status as well, though I never use AirTran since I am on the west coast.

It is kind of cryptic as well. Do I have to buy 10 separate gift certs of $100 or can I just buy one $1000 one?
I don't think the credits earned from the GC would give you elite status. To get that you have to have 10 actual flights in a 90 day period, not just 10 credits earned.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by dioxide45
I don't think the credits earned from the GC would give you elite status. To get that you have to have 10 actual flights in a 90 day period, not just 10 credits earned.
Correct. 10 one-way flights in a 90-day period (or 25 one-ways in a year) are required to qualify for elite status.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 8:46 am

Thanks!

You can buy one certificate of $1,000 and receive 10 credits. It's not the number of certificates you buy, it's the amount that's bonused.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:00 am

Works great! I bought $400 worth last night...received the gift certificate via e-mail instantly. The credits posted this morning.

Very easy, and a great deal. I may buy some more.

This, combined with the double credits from Milwaukee, will give me 12 credits for two round trip tickets. Great deal! Heck, if I use 8 credtis for two one-way upgrades, I am still netting 4 credits, which is what I would normally get for two round-trips.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 2:38 pm

Question Expiration of gift cards

Does anyone know if the gift cards have a "use by" date? Are they good until FL's bankruptcy or takeover by Republic?

That last question could create some interesting rumors!
Old Jan 11, 2010, 3:17 pm

No expiration date. Here are the T&C's fom the certificate that I purchased.

Gift Certificate Details
Recipient may use this Gift Certificate for purchasing air travel on AirTran Airways at AirTran.com, through our call center at 1-800-AIR-TRAN, or at the AirTran Airways airport ticket counter at any AirTran-served destination.
The Gift Certificate does not need to be presented at check-in for an AirTran flight. The Credit may be applied to any fare on any flight to any AirTran-served destination but is not refundable in whole or in part.
When Gift Certificate funds are applied to a ticket purchase, the fare rules for that ticket are applicable to all funds used for the purchase.
In cases where your total fare is less than the amount in the Gift Certificate account, the credit balance remaining will be held in the account until it is fully used.
This Gift Certificate has no cash value. It reflects the amount of Credit initially deposited in the AirTran electronic Gift Certificate account number referred to above.
The Gift Certificate account number above is a confidential number and should be protected by the holder of this Gift Certificate. AirTran is not responsible for theft of Credit amounts in Gift Certificate accounts.
Gift Certificates do not expire.
AirTran Airways reserves the right, and the holder or purchaser of a Gift Certificate agrees that, AirTran Airways may at any time change the terms of the program or contract with a third party to administer the Gift Certificate program.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by sfo-atl
Are they good until FL's bankruptcy or takeover by Republic?
More like Air Tran's takeover of Republic. At least the Midwest portion.
Old Jan 11, 2010, 10:46 pm

Thanks again Hoss!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 5:24 pm

Programs: UA 3.6 MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Do we get double AirTran Visa Points if we buy these gift certificates with our AirTran Visa cards?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.