Wiki Posts
Search

Priority Pass fraudulent activity/unauthorized name change

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2020, 9:28 pm
Original Poster

Lightbulb Priority Pass fraudulent activity/unauthorized name change

Hi guys,

I noticed an unauthorized name change under my priority pass card.
Today when I logged into my pp account, the name was updated to someone I did not know at all.
I googled the name online and surprisingly found out that this person lives in the same city.

The phone number, email address on file, street address and even credit card on file are unchanged.
This must be a fraudulent guest who will try to use my card to get lounge access.

Additional info: My visa card on file had an fraudulent activity from Apple store 3 weeks ago and my bank contacted me & issued a new card for me.
I am not sure if this is related with that fraudulent activity. This priority pass is associated with my credit card program.

I already reported it to priority pass CS and currently waiting for their investigation.

Has anyone had the same problem before?

I'm wondering how it is even possible to change the name without any sort of verification.

I contacted pp customer service team and pp CS said it might be an error from my bank.

Update: After contacting my bank who administers my pp membership, they confirmed that somehow the name under my pp membership is incorrect and now they send updated personal info directly to priority pass team. It should be corrected within 24 hours.

I asked why this could happen and they said they could not provide more details. I am guessing this might be just a human error from my bank.

2nd Update after a week: Now my bank just sent me another follow up message and said there is nothing wrong with my bank/personal profile and the only party who can change the name is pp team.

What a joke and wasting of time! I am now contacting pp team again since they did not solve the issue yet.

Last edited by jizen; May 24, 2020 at 6:05 pm
Old May 16, 2020, 11:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Do you perhaps use the same password across multiple login usernames? I suspect you’ve been hacked. Time to change everything.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Do you perhaps use the same password across multiple login usernames? I suspect you’ve been hacked. Time to change everything.

Thanks for you advise! I change my password regularly and I enable multi-factor authentication for most of my accounts. I also turn on all notifications when it comes to credit card or travel-related transactions.
My bank said the only party who can change the name is their specialized team since my pp membership is administered by my bank.
However, they do not want to acknowledge that they made a mistake and sent someone else's info to pp team.
Old May 17, 2020, 10:51 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by jizen
I asked why this could happen and they said they could not provide more details. I am guessing this might be just a human error from my bank.
It's equally possible that the name was changed as part of the credit card hack, and as a matter of policy the bank is not going to discuss "how" it was done.
Old May 23, 2020, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by mia
It's equally possible that the name was changed as part of the credit card hack, and as a matter of policy the bank is not going to discuss "how" it was done.
Three incidents with similarity to OP's experience by myself, and two close friends. Three different banks involved. All three reluctantly admitted there had been a change of name for the account, in two cases also address and phone # The banks corrected the faulty details, but were 'unable' to disclose the reasons to the incidents. Perhaps 'unwilling' would be more appropriate?
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.