Wiki Posts
Search

Why are German (priority pass) lounges so awful

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Why are German (priority pass) lounges so awful

What is it about German lounges that they are so consistently awful?

The one at TXL looks like a staff break room.

The one at STR is tiny, has no windows and shows the flight information via Teletext giving it a 1980s vibe. No staff, just PIN entry. Only one bottle of wine in the lounge. The cheese was plastic burger cheese slices, individually wrapped.

The one at DUS is a nice space with a good view but I couldn't find a single power socket to charge my phone and the food was quite frankly disgusting.

Why?????? Are there actually any good PP lounges anywhere in Germany.?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 10:01 am
Suspended

There are a few good ones. E.g., Airport Lounge World in MUC. The Hugo Junkers in DUS which you mentioned is fine as well IMO.

Air France and Primeclass in FRA are ok-ish. The PP one in CGN is basic, but ok-ish as well for an airport without any long-haul traffic.

Sure, there are miserable lounges, too (Premium Traveller and Luxx lounges in FRA comes to mind).

But aren't there a lot of mediocre PP lounges all over the world? The majority of PP lounges is so-so IMO. A sizable minority is poor. A small number is pretty good.

I think it is also a highly subjective topic. I've seen various PP/Amex lounges in LHR which received praised on HFP. I thought they were terrible: No natural light and often over-crowded. But if your main criterium is F&B, those for-pay lounges in LHR are pretty good.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:28 am

Haha, because Germans do not care for that but function
Old Jul 26, 2019, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Ericontour
Haha, because Germans do not care for that but function
Maybe, but the Hugo Junkers lounge in DUS doesn't even function properly in my opinion. It has no USB sockets and very few power sockets and one of the main things I want to do in a lounge besides eat/drink is to charge my phone.

Also, for what it's worth: When I visited on Monday I saw a sign at the reception desk saying 'Keine Priority Pass / No Priority Pass' despite it being advertised on the PP website. It didn't matter this time because I got in via BA status but what if I'm flying Eurowings next time?
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:45 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
....sign at the reception desk saying 'Keine Priority Pass / No Priority Pass' despite it being advertised on the PP website. ....
Priority Pass is in the business of monetizing excess lounge capacity. The lounges can deny entry to Priority Pass holders when a lounge is near capacity, or the lounge management projects that they will be near capacity due to contractual commitment to accommodate passengers for a specific airline. This occurs worldwide. Ample discussion in several other threads.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mia
Priority Pass is in the business of monetizing excess lounge capacity. The lounges can deny entry to Priority Pass holders when a lounge is near capacity, or the lounge management projects that they will be near capacity due to contractual commitment to accommodate passengers for a specific airline. This occurs worldwide. Ample discussion in several other threads.
Sure, but it was 8pm and there were only about 12 people in the lounge...
Old Jul 26, 2019, 10:44 am
Suspended

Also, for what it's worth: When I visited on Monday I saw a sign at the reception desk saying 'Keine Priority Pass / No Priority Pass' despite it being advertised on the PP website.
Happens all over the world. E.g., quite a few LHR and LGW lounges are notorious for declining PP pax (unless you pay extra for a reservation).

It has no USB sockets and very few power sockets
Downstairs, the work area (right at the windows) is a good bet for power sockets.

I'm not that often at the Hugo Junkers so I can't say for sure.. But one potential criticism is that they open the upper level not often enough. (I've been there at least once or twice where the lower floor was really busy but they didn't open up the upper level.)

---

Oh, and since you were asking about German PP lounges more generally: The Open Sky Lounge at DUS has ample USB sockets.

Last edited by speed.skater; Jul 26, 2019 at 10:53 am
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by mia
The vast majority of lounges do not need to generate incremental revenue above the marginal cost of taking on an additional guest.

Priority Pass makes its margin on members who are continually denied access, or seldom try. Those paying out-of-pocket for a membership are least likely to tolerate the “overcrowding” issues for long and simply cancel. Those who get Priority Pass as a credit card benefit are more likely to renew their credit-card anyway, creating the lane where PP operates.

No party is doing anything wrong.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Is it a German problem? Most PP-lounges I visited were mediocre or worse. Hugo Junkers is one of my "home-lounges" and I had never a problem with Priority Pass. When I come from home and out of my car I donīt need power sockets but as far as I remember there are some.
Old Jul 30, 2019, 11:36 pm
formerly Sleepy_Sentry

PP lounges in Europe are pretty awful in general. I'd like the Priority Pass lounge at Tegal any day over any lounge in Milan Malpensa.

No idea why there are so bad. Perhaps it's a lack of space and lack of demand. Europeans tend to check in for flights later than Americans from my experience.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by Sleepy_Sentry
PP lounges in Europe are pretty awful in general. I'd like the Priority Pass lounge at Tegal any day over any lounge in Milan Malpensa.

No idea why there are so bad. Perhaps it's a lack of space and lack of demand. Europeans tend to check in for flights later than Americans from my experience.
The MXP-lounge is even one of the better in my eyes.
GoldenItalianBoy likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 6:12 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
Is it a priority pass problem or a Europe problem? I think a lot of the PP lounges in Europe are the contract lounges for some of the airlines?
Old Aug 2, 2019, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by sxc
Is it a priority pass problem or a Europe problem? I think a lot of the PP lounges in Europe are the contract lounges for some of the airlines?
Yes, often (or nearly always) thatīs the case. In most cases the lounges seems to be opersated by the airports.
Old Aug 4, 2019, 2:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by offerendum
In most cases the lounges seems to be opersated by the airports.
Well, I wouldn't be so sure about "most." Contract lounges tend to operated by aviation services companies such as Swissport (e.g., Aspire), dnata, SATS, menzies, Plaza Premium Group... Some of these aviation companies manage a few airports, too. But for the bulk of the lounges in their network, they are contractors, not the primary operator of the airport.

Last edited by speed.skater; Aug 4, 2019 at 2:27 am
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I don't think this is a German problem. Quite frankly I find the LH lounges in Germany very pleasant! Bad is the Priority Pass lounges either at Orly (the EXPIRE, sorry, I mean Inspire lounge) or its equally expirational sister lounge at CDG at 2D...

For the most part Priority Pass lounges are pretty inferior-- in my experience-- to other lounges in general.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.