Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Using Priority Pass on arrival (in Europe)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2018, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

I'm a bit confused when it comes to use Priority Pass on arrival at European airports. On the PP website and app, it sometimes mentions 'valid boarding pass required' and sometimes it doesn't. That made me think you may use those lounges upon arrival as well. During the last months, I used lounges in Vienna, Madrid, Palma de Mallorca, Amsterdam and Frankfurt when arriving (and before picking up my bag). Sometime lounge agents asked for a boarding pass (which I then gave), sometimes just asked for a destination and mostly they asked for nothing. Today, I was told in Amsterdam that it's 'not always' allowed to use the Aspire lounge on arrival. It wasn't clear to me whether because the lounge has capacity problems or because it's not allowed by PP.

Does anyone here have the answer?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 1:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
As long as it says "valid boarding pass" you should be good to go either on arrival or departure. If it's departing flights only it should say so on the PP website.
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:03 am
Ambassador, Emirates

Programs: SA KL BA EK
In many European airports, arriving pax are separated from departing ones and cannot access lounges (apart from dedicated arrival lounges, which are usually not accessible to anyone other than J or F pax from the operating carrier).
Old Feb 26, 2018, 2:06 am
mia

Programs: AA & Marriott Perpetual Platinum; DL & HH Gold
Priority Pass terms are very specific:

Outside the US, flight tickets must be accompanied by a valid boarding pass for a departing flight, i.e. outbound passengers only. Please note some lounges in Europe are located within designated Schengen areas of the airport which means that access is only provided to these lounges if cardholders are traveling between Schengen countries (an up to date list of Schengen countries is detailed at http://ec.europa.eu/dgs/home-affairs...n/index_en.htm.)
In practice some lounges will admit arriving passengers. At some airports arriving passengers are segregated from departing passengers for security purposes, and you would not have access to the lounges.

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/conditions-of-use
Old Feb 26, 2018, 3:28 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I know the airport layout sometimes make a lounge visit on arrival impossible, but that's not the problem I encountered.

When you're physically passing the lounge on arrival and hold a boarding pass for the flight you arrived on, should be able to use it?
- According to the PP terms @mia posted, apparently NO.
- In practice: YES sometimes, even when they scanned my boarding pass from an arriving flight.

That's confusing. I don't want to break the rules of PP, but if lounges admit entrance, it seems the rules allow so?
Old Feb 26, 2018, 4:01 am
mia

I think the rule exists to permit lounges to turn away arriving passengers, but I do not think there is any harm asking. If the lounge admits you they generate more revenue, because Priority Pass will pay for your visit.
Old Feb 27, 2018, 12:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Avis Preferred, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mia
Priority Pass terms are very specific:
Outside the US, flight tickets must be accompanied by a valid boarding pass for a departing flight, i.e. outbound passengers only.
Strange then that there are two PP lounges at LHR which are explicitly arrivals lounges:

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...a-dcc2db3c85d2

https://www.prioritypass.com/en/loun...a-dcc2db3c85d2

NB: I've used the T2 arrivals lounge several times. Sometimes they ask for a boarding pass and sometimes they don't. When I have been asked for a pass they have always made it clear it should be an arriving pass and not a departing pass...
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:02 am
mia

Originally Posted by mickeyjaw
....there are two PP lounges at LHR which are explicitly arrivals lounges:...
It's not strange that a network of 1,000+ independently owned and operated lounges would have exceptions. The general terms are written to permit departure lounges to decline arriving passengers, just as the few arrival lounges may decline departing passengers.

Last edited by mia; Feb 27, 2018 at 4:53 pm
Old Feb 27, 2018, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Travel-Quinten
Assuming you can physically access to the lounge, simply show up with your arriving BP. If the lounge dragon says no, that's your answer and turn around.

The problem with PP is most of the lounges are not operated by PP. So enforcing PP's condition of use may be more difficult than it seems.
Travel-Quinten likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.