Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Airport Lounges
Reload this Page >

Where to camp out ATL? Which lounge (day pass)? Minute Suites?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where to camp out ATL? Which lounge (day pass)? Minute Suites?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Exclamation Where to camp out ATL? Which lounge (day pass)? Minute Suites?

I'm coming in on DL128 from SEA (just about to depart), but based on what I285, I20, Camp Creek, South Fulton, etc are looking like, I doubt I'm getting home tonight. Any hotel that is easily accessible from ATL looks to be booked up. So where in ATL should I camp out until my ride can get here?

Which lounge would you recommend (paid day pass)? I'm thinking The Club at F if the airside bus is running. I have a day pass for the United Club already, but it is pretty small and can fill up quick. Which SkyClub would you recommend? A17 for the expanded food testing?

If I need to overnight, would you recommend the Minute Suites? Or does anyone know of a Hilton or Marriott property easily accessible from MARTA that's far enough away from the airport that it might have rooms available?

I know some of these questions could probably be answered by search, but I'm posting from my phone while the boarding door is closed with hopes of getting some help before I land... Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by IsleOfMan
A17 for the expanded food testing?
I'm pretty sure the expanded food choices won't be available until next month so don't waste your time in A17 looking for it.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
If you were to take MARTA down to the World Congress Center/Georgia Dome station, the Omni, etc. hotels are there (probably 6-10 hotels within 1 mile walking distance). If you go further north, to the MARTA stop by St. Joseph's station, there is not a hotel right there, but again, there are several that are within 1-2 miles. If the roads are even slightly passable, you might be able to get a hotel shuttle or a taxi to get you the rest of the way. May also be worth checking to see if any of the airport hotels are running their shuttles and if they have any available rooms.

I would say best bet is probably on the downtown corridor, Omni, etc. by the World Congress Center..
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Natl-Exec Elite, Hertz-President Circle, Marriot/Starwood-Gold, HHonors-Gold
I would be concerned that the hotels away from the airport are even full with all the people that were smart enough to not bother with trying to get home.....or abandoned their cars.

I believe the Discovery channel has a TV show titled just for your situation in Atlanta.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AS MVP, UA Silver, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat, National Exec Elite
Everything downtown is showing as booked full. The JW Marriott in Buckhead is showing rooms available, and I know it is close to Marta, so I may try that... At ~$280/night.

The main issue is the intersates and even surface streets on the west side of town where I live (Douglasville) are blocked or completely closed. I had a family member picking me up, so they can't get to me. So close, but I doubt I'm making it all the way home tonight.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:57 am

Programs: Delta DM, 4MM, SC, AmEx Reserve, UA Plat, SPG/Marriott Platinum, Hertz Gold
I live in ATL and was supposed to fly home yesterday afternoon from Birmingham but couldn't physically get from where I was in the city to the airport even if the flights were going. Fortunately, the Embassy Suites here let me extend my stay. I'm with you though, even if I could make it to ATL, not sure I could make it to my house in the Marietta area.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Good luck. I'm working in downtown ATL this week (and currently snowed in at my hotel). There were at least two major conventions in town this week which booked all available rooms downtown. ALL the hotels. The closest hotel I could find BEFORE the storm was in Dunwoody, and even here rooms are nonexistent after the storm.
Went down for breakfast this morning and saw at least 30-40 people had slept in the atrium with extra blankets provided by the hotel. It looked like a scene during a hurricane. Unreal.

The entire Atlanta metro area is a nightmare right now.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:06 am
Original Poster

I have my company travel advisor looking for me. 3 Palms near the airport is showing available... Don't know iif they have a shuttle or if it is running.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:08 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExPlat LT Gold, BA Silver, Aegean Star Gold
I was "The Club at ATL" last Saturday, it was empty at the time. It costs $35 or free with Priority Pass. It has a full bar , light food options, showers and sitting area. Not bad as a backup...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/22234493-post4.html
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:29 am
Original Poster

I'm in-air now so, barring a diversion, I'll be in ATL around 4pm, coming into E.

Is The Club at F better than the SkyClub at F? Does anyone know if the air-side bus is running between E and F today?

Day pass price difference isn't a big deal since I'll (likely) get reimbursed by SkyGuide or expense it. Is one or the other open later than the other as it looks like hotels are going to be non-existent. A shower would indeed be nice. If I did a SkyClub day pass, I guess I could also do an ATL lounge tour...?

Are any of the Regus day-offices easily accessible from ATL (cab or shuttle)? I do have a Regus Preferred membership I could use if it helps, but I'm guessing they're not open too late.

I feel dumb asking so many questions about what's around my home airport, but this particularly situation has me looking at it in a whole new light, as a distressed inbound passenger instead of just someone passing through on their way home.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 10:34 am

Programs: DL PM
I'm thinking The Club at F if the airside bus is running.
I must be missing something. What airside bus are you talking about that runs between terminals? The plane train is underground so I would assume it's running fine.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:08 am
Original Poster

Have they expanded Plane Train service to F? I thought it only went as far as E and there was a bus to F?
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:17 am

Programs: DL DM
Have they expanded Plane Train service to F? I thought it only went as far as E and there was a bus to F?
The train to F has been in service since F was opened, and was part of the construction. You don't even change trains, so once you're airside you can easily reach the F terminal from any other terminal. I've used the pay lounge in F for daytime conference calls, as it's pretty much empty in the mornings.

There is a bus to take you to MARTA if you've arrived at F and Atlanta is your final destination so that you don't have to return to airside to take the train back to the main terminal.
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:24 am
Original Poster

Good to know! Every time I've gone in/out of F I've just taken the WallyPark shuttle directly to/from F and I was under the impression that airside E to F was on bus for some reason. Thanks!
Old Jan 29, 2014, 11:35 am

Programs: SQ
The Econo Lodge has rooms

I'd imagine that's still a lot better than camping out in a lounge and eating stale finger sandwiches

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.