Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Airberlin Reservation Dilemma

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Airberlin Reservation Dilemma

I have a flight booked from SFO-FCO (through DUS) and a return flight on Oct. 9 from LIN-SFO (through DUS). I am increasingly concerned (obviously) that one if not both of these flights will not happen.

The debate is: Do I just go ahead and submit a chargeback request now and book on another airline, or do I hold back and hope that these flights fly as planned?

Thanks!
Old Sep 1, 2017, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
You can only issue a chargeback if the services paid for are not provided. As such, you cannot issue a chargeback until the date of the flights passes without having being transported as booked.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by irishguy28
You can only issue a chargeback if the services paid for are not provided. As such, you cannot issue a chargeback until the date of the flights passes without having being transported as booked.
Thank you for the info. Its going to be a long frustrating couple of weeks. Researching refundable fares at this point as a backup. Just stuck in the middle at this point.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 12:10 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
You could always book fully refundable flights on a different carrier. If AB is still around by then, you just cancel those flights. If not, then you'll have mitigated the costs for you as booking a last minute trip would certainly be much more expensive.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 1:17 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not to put too fine a point on it, but a rock bottom refundable AZ ticket will run just over $2,900. Bear in mind, this is about refundable to original form of payment, not flexibility to make a change. I am certain that some research might bring a routing somewhat cheaper. But, refundability comes at a steep price.

If AB is not operating the return and is unable to be acommodated, he will then have a valid chargeback and can then look for a cheap ticket.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 2:41 pm
Original Poster

I did a little research. I can do SFO-SZG on LH for $475. I can add a day or two and use EW to cheaply get to Italy (or even drive to Venice). It would basically act as nonrefundable travel insurance for my wife and I. Is it worth it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.