Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

ARN-TXL-SFO econ award late July, yea or nay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2017, 4:12 pm
Original Poster

Have pieced together a trip for two using SW Companion Pass for positioning, burning AA miles and Avios as well as some paid intra-Europe flights. So far, so good, with IB business from BOS-MAD-BCN, then to DUB, then ARN.

Saw what I thought was good availability on Air Berlin for the return leg, ARN-TXL-SFO, and booked the awards. Since then I have been reading about AB's financial woes, and also a lot of bad reviews about service and comfort of seats in economy. So I am getting cold feet...don't want to be cramped in our seats for flight of over 11 hrs, and I really don't want AB to call it quits and fold before July, leaving us with fewer alternatives last minute.

Cost to cancel and redeposit Avios about $54 each, not thrilled about losing that but wondering if I should just cut my losses and book another return, preferably in business or at least premium economy? Any hunches on whether AB will even be around in July?

Also open to suggestions of a good routing, avoiding BA and its fees. Considering EI DUB-EWR economy (no business available) with Avios, a shorter flight (A330) and advantage of preclearance. Just need to return to a WN airport and continue to west coast, could also position to other airports besides ARN. Thanks for any help; I read here a lot but still a newbie with terms.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 1:35 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
I wouldn't worry too much on the short term future of AB's longhaul operations. IMO especially the USA-routes are safe for this year but might be switched over to some kind of LH/AB joint venture during second half of the year.

The comfort of your longhaul AB seat and the service onboard will not vary very much from any other airlines service on north-american routes IMO. There's almost no difference as everybody seems to have reduced seat-comfort and service to the bare minimum possible.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 3:34 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Funnily enough I actually think there are advantages to booking redemption AB flights at the moment. I booked a HG (NIKI) AUH-VIE in September for only 12,500 Avios + 28 EUR knowing that the flight would probably fall victim to the current upheaval at AB. Surely enough a few weeks later the flight was cancelled and now instead of sitting over 6 hours on a A320 I get to choose whether I fly with AB, QR, or BA, which would have cost substantially more in both miles (Avios) and cash.

Whatever happens to AB your trip will be protected. If you have OWS or OWE status, and worse comes to worst, you will probably be able to rebook on AA and choose seats in Main Cabin Extra for free.

Last edited by headingwest; Jan 5, 2017 at 3:42 am
Old Jan 5, 2017, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Good call, headingwest. I am booked on what I think is the last HG flight from VIE to AUH in March, but using TopBonus miles. So I expect, if the flight gets cancelled, that I will get rerouted on AB through Berlin.

For the OP, I wouldn't worry about AB Economy class, I think it will be fine and perhaps even better than that of some of the other airlines...or so I've heard.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 7:29 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
I do not think AB will suddenly seize operations.
There could be some kind of takeover, merger, transaction or whatsoever.
The legal of successor of Air Berlin PLC & Co. Luftverkehrs KG has to honor the tickets. You are protected by the EU passenger rights legislation (EC 261/2004). If TXL-SFO is to be cancelled, the legal successor must offer you a replacement flight on its metal.

However, do not count on your bags making the connection at TXL!
Have replacement clothes ready in your carry-on baggage. You may have to wait for it a couple of days at SFO.

Surely enough a few weeks later the flight was cancelled and now instead of sitting over 6 hours on a A320 I get to choose whether I fly with AB, QR, or BA, which would have cost substantially more in both miles (Avios) and cash.
HG offered you to be rebooked for free onto AB, QR or BA?
Or is it just an assumption from your part.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:02 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by warakorn
HG offered you to be rebooked for free onto AB, QR or BA?
Or is it just an assumption from your part.
It was a BAEC redemption, so when the HG flight was cancelled my local BA customer service centre automatically rebooked me onto AB flights (AUH-TXL-VIE) but I'm going to ask them to rebook onto QR (or possibly on BA, only for EC261 protection in case of a 4 hour delay ).
Old Jan 5, 2017, 8:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Has this luggage issue at TXL still not improved? I've got a transfer to the US coming up at TXL at the end of the month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.