Wiki Posts
Search

Best way to use expiring AB-Miles?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:03 am
Original Poster

Best way to use expiring AB-Miles?

So...

I got 140k AB-Miles expiring end of the Month..

I'd like to use them on a nice routing (ex FRA, if possible) in a nice Class (Biz or higher) with a nice Airline..

Thing is, i get an error all the time with the Award-System at AB..

Like i'm not totally keen on using the miles, as I fly mostly *A, but hey, these Miles are there and should be used and not go expired..
Thats why I'm not really used to using the AB-Miles-System...

All help (and Ideas) are very welcome!!
Old Sep 20, 2016, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Platinum, M&M FTL, BA Blue
Blimey, you've left it a bit late, haven't you? Mine expire next year and I was almost panicking that I wouldn't manage to use them, but after careful research I managed to use them on a series of upgrades which was a much better deal than using them as pure award tickets because of the high taxes on the latter. The call center agent was amazed, she said I was a total 'Seltenheit' because most people end up unable to use their miles. Airberlin has an excellent business class, I can really recommend it.

Remember if you're looking to book business on other carriers (eg AA) then you can't do it online, you have to phone the call center. If you speak German, the call center is excellent IME.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 12:51 pm

If you want to use them for flights starting in EU, the best solution (in my opinion) is to search for Cathay Pacific flights, particularly these departing from ZRH, as this airline has very low extra charges on top of the reward (less than 100 EUR for one way to HKG). I was even able to find flights directly on AB's online search tool, although booking is possible (as Concerto has already written) only through call center.
The only problem is that 140k miles will be enough for both way flights only in economy (45k miles each way), but if you're lucky, perhaps you find one way reward in Y and the other way in C (90k miles one way) ;-)

Another good way to spend them is to search for flights to FNC or PDL, which are almost as far away from the continental Europe, as Canary Islands, but amount of miles you have to spend on reward is much lower. The good point about this method is that you can pay extra charges with miles, so in the end, you have tickets completely for free. Unfortunately, you won't be able to use all of your miles for such trip ;-)

Good luck, Bartek
Old Oct 6, 2016, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys!

And hey - this was a 'Fehlalarm' - i just checked Awardwallett and it said, they would expire..but checking AB's Website, they said "no miles expire" - so I have enough time to find something nice
But I will keep Cathay in mind..Maybe even the BIZ Option...Thanks to all three of you!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.