Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Partner Earning Status Miles vs. Redeemable Miles

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 9:32 pm
Original Poster

I have 60,000+ miles of Oneworld (AA/BA/QF) and Etihad flights booked for later this year, so topbonus looks like it might be a good option to earn my miles to for status. I can't quite find out a straight answer on earning rates for redeemable miles vs. status miles, though.

If based on the flight earning chart I am to expect 50% of flown miles credited, do I also earn at the 50% rate toward tier miles? Or does earning work the EY Guest way with 50% redeemable credited, but 100% tier miles.

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 12, 2015, 10:40 pm
txl

Programs: AB Plat (OWE), AY Silver (OWR)
Originally Posted by BlueEngineer
I have 60,000+ miles of Oneworld (AA/BA/QF) and Etihad flights booked for later this year, so topbonus looks like it might be a good option to earn my miles to for status.
Topbonus is a good option if you want to collect miles flown on EY within OW. As you write that you have miles in three different accounts you should be aware that miles are not transferable between accounts and that OW will not consider the sum of your status miles from different accounts for status. The individual airline will grant status based only on the miles in that airline's account.

I can't quite find out a straight answer on earning rates for redeemable miles vs. status miles, though.

If based on the flight earning chart I am to expect 50% of flown miles credited, do I also earn at the 50% rate toward tier miles? Or does earning work the EY Guest way with 50% redeemable credited, but 100% tier miles.
The number of miles that you will accrue in topbonus depends on the booking class of your ticket. Award and status miles collected do not differ. At the moment, economy flights on EY booked into booking classes E, U, V, L, Q and G will earn 50% award and status miles, M and K 75% and H, B and Y will earn 100%. Check here for the chart. Hope that helps!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 4:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by txl
As you write that you have miles in three different accounts
That's not what the OP wrote! (S)he has 60,000+ miles of travel upcoming on the 4 mentioned airlines.
Old Aug 13, 2015, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txl
Award and status miles collected do not differ.
This is (unfortunately) what I was looking for. I was hoping to be able to combine the miles to reach topbonus gold, but looks like it will be best to just earn Silver with Etihad and Gold with AA.

Thanks Again!
Old Aug 13, 2015, 1:07 pm
txl

Originally Posted by irishguy28
That's not what the OP wrote! (S)he has 60,000+ miles of travel upcoming on the 4 mentioned airlines.
Sorry, was reading this too hastily...

This is (unfortunately) what I was looking for. I was hoping to be able to combine the miles to reach topbonus gold, but looks like it will be best to just earn Silver with Etihad and Gold with AA.

Thanks Again!
So you've already checked your booking classes against the accrual charts and wouldn't reach the threshold with AB? Have you already factored in 20% bonus on your miles once you hit 25.000?
Old Aug 13, 2015, 2:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by txl
So you've already checked your booking classes against the accrual charts and wouldn't reach the threshold with AB? Have you already factored in 20% bonus on your miles once you hit 25.000?
No worries,

None of my flights will be on AB or Niki proper. I saw the bonus, but didn't think it would apply to my EY and Oneworld flights. Am I wrong?

That would make it closer, those 25% earnings on AA ticketed BA discount economy fares are a killer, though!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 8:08 am
txl

None of my flights will be on AB or Niki proper. I saw the bonus, but didn't think it would apply to my EY and Oneworld flights. Am I wrong?
Probably not. There is only one loophole: any flight with an AB or HG ticket number will earn you the 20% bonus once you turn silver, but I don't suppose you booked your flights like that.
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, TK*G EL, KL P ELPL, ex AB P, ex LH/LX Sen, HHonors D4L, Bonvoy P
Originally Posted by txl
Probably not. There is only one loophole: any flight with an AB or HG ticket number will earn you the 20% bonus once you turn silver, but I don't suppose you booked your flights like that.
Sure? My understanding of the TopBonus tier bonus (20% for Silver, 40% for Gold and Platinum) is that it must be booked under AB/HG/4T code and not (only) with a AB or HG ticket number. At least that's my experience with EY coded flights on AB tickets ...
Old Aug 15, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: VA Platinum, SQ Gold, TK Gold, Hhonors Gold, Accor Plus Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Radisson Premium
I recently join topbonus thanks to their status match program so I am topbonus gold. I then got my first statement (correctly) showing my accrued miles. I also have two upcoming ARN - SYD return in business trips.

So I'm confident I will earn enough miles to maintain Gold, but it also looks like there is a segment requirement. 60 segments of which I will probably only complete 6 AB segments.

Is this an either / or requirement or do you have to meet both requirements (miles and segments) in order to retain Gold status?
Old Aug 16, 2015, 5:16 am
txl

Originally Posted by swiss_global
Sure? My understanding of the TopBonus tier bonus (20% for Silver, 40% for Gold and Platinum) is that it must be booked under AB/HG/4T code and not (only) with a AB or HG ticket number. At least that's my experience with EY coded flights on AB tickets ...
That is what it says on their website, so I guess you can hold them to it. My flights credited fine so far, but they had both AB ticket and code share flight numbers.

Originally Posted by sydunipete
I recently join topbonus thanks to their status match program so I am topbonus gold. I then got my first statement (correctly) showing my accrued miles. I also have two upcoming ARN - SYD return in business trips.

So I'm confident I will earn enough miles to maintain Gold, but it also looks like there is a segment requirement. 60 segments of which I will probably only complete 6 AB segments.

Is this an either / or requirement or do you have to meet both requirements (miles and segments) in order to retain Gold status?
It is either of the two, so no worries!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.