Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

AB is moving from MXP to LIN / AZ codeshare + miles earning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 11:36 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Their customer service experience have always been weak. In my opinion only in OW because OW could find a better geographic partner.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:18 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Actually, I think that rebooking you on Alitalia is actually a gesture of goodwill from their side. Not the one you expected, but also not a completely off, either.
Old Dec 3, 2014, 8:37 am

Hello FT’ers!

I'm facing a problem due to AB move from MXP to LIN:
I have a ticket booked for US Airways miles. This ticket has the following flights:
HKG – MXP (on CX)
LIN (now, was MXP) – VIE (on Fly Niki)
VIE – MOW (on Fly Niki)
Originally I had 2 hours connection in Malpensa, but after the move to Linate I will 100% miss the connecting flight to Vienna.
Air Berlin (on the phone) told me that they can do nothing with the itinerary since it is issued by US Airways and told me to contact them (US Airways).
I have not contacted US airways but I’m 90% sure from my prior experience that they would offer (1) cancel for free and redeposit the miles (2) reroute. Option 1 is not acceptable, Option 2 – there is hardly award seats left for my dates since my flights are close to Christmas / New Year Holidays.

What will happen If I would arrive to Milan and act as the airport change is a surprise for me (nobody notified me about that)?

If anybody faced the same problem could you share your experience / advices on what should do?

Last edited by Serghio; Dec 3, 2014 at 8:38 am Reason: typo
Old Dec 3, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Serghio
Hello FT’ers!

I'm facing a problem due to AB move from MXP to LIN:
I have a ticket booked for US Airways miles. This ticket has the following flights:
HKG – MXP (on CX)
LIN (now, was MXP) – VIE (on Fly Niki)
VIE – MOW (on Fly Niki)
Originally I had 2 hours connection in Malpensa, but after the move to Linate I will 100% miss the connecting flight to Vienna.
Air Berlin (on the phone) told me that they can do nothing with the itinerary since it is issued by US Airways and told me to contact them (US Airways).
I have not contacted US airways but I’m 90% sure from my prior experience that they would offer (1) cancel for free and redeposit the miles (2) reroute. Option 1 is not acceptable, Option 2 – there is hardly award seats left for my dates since my flights are close to Christmas / New Year Holidays.

What will happen If I would arrive to Milan and act as the airport change is a surprise for me (nobody notified me about that)?

If anybody faced the same problem could you share your experience / advices on what should do?
You're in luck - since you're traveling on OW, if you have a misconnect, they are required to accomodate you. AB is correct - before day of travel, the issuing carrier, i. e. US Airways is responsible for making changes to the ticket. On day of travel if there's a problem, the operating carrier is responsible. Thus, you have 2 options:

1) Call US Airways now and see if they work something out for you - of course, you're constrained by award availability. If a flight that you want is not available, you can ask them to request it from the operating carrier. Ultimately, if all else fails, you can leave the reservation unchange, although I suspect that at some point they will discover that the minimum connection time between MXP and LIN is not met.

2) Wait until day of travel and proceed from MXP to LIN and when you get to LIN, ask to be reaccomodated on another flight should you miss the one originally booked. I've always found good availability on Niki and AB, so I think US Airways should be able to rebook you but on day of travel, Niki doesn't have to look for award space to send you to MOW. They have the ability to put you in a revenue earning class. However, if you are traveling around the holidays I'm not sure how flights will be and if there will be seats left.

So, I would try option 1 with US Airways and if that doesn't work to your satisfaction, ask the reservation/ticket not to be cancelled but remain as is and go ahead with option 2 on day of travel. After the long HKG-MXP flight, I would think that the last thing you'd want to do is change airports and deal with this but it may be your best shot of getting to MOW. Good Luck!
Old Dec 15, 2014, 7:18 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by headingwest
I found out about this today.

I have a booking VIE-MXP for 30th December returning 2nd January with Niki. Last week airberlin/Niki sent me an e-mail advising me of a change of times, but the airport is shown as the same. However, when I checked my booking on their website, it clearly shows that they've changed the destination airport to LIN.

Now, this might be better but I've already booked a room at a hotel for 1 night near the airport at MXP! Unfortunately, this is a non-refundable booking so I won't get my money back for cancelling it. So I'm not very happy. Will airberlin pick up the bill for the night in a hotel??
Just to update on my earlier posting...

Today I received an e-mail from airberlin/NIKI informing me that they are refunding the money that I paid for the airport hotel at MXP.

In addition to that they had already agreed to change my flight to a later NIKI flight from LIN.

Although the complaint process was extremely slow, I am very satisfied by the result....so well done airberlin/NIKI. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.