Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Baggage allowance on a OneWorld Award flying with airberlin?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 10:57 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL

Does anyone know how airberlin handles baggage allowances for OneWorld award tickets please (Economy)?
Old Aug 1, 2014, 5:41 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond

Try the following link:

https://bags.amadeus.com/Display.aspx?r=XXXXXX&n=NNNNN

Replace XXXXXX with your AB/HG confirmation and NNNNN with your surname.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 7:45 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Markie
Does anyone know how airberlin handles baggage allowances for OneWorld award tickets please (Economy)?
They include at least one free checked bag, at least for awards issued using AA or BA or US miles.
Old Aug 1, 2014, 10:24 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance
Original Poster

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Thank you both.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 8:43 am

Programs: AA lifetime Gold March 2010
AB from ORD - Carry on baggage weight

We are flying business class ORD to TXL, using carry on luggage for the first time. I understand the weight limit is 9kg. Do they actually weigh the bags? We are then connecting in TXL to VCE, will they also weigh the bags?

We are not the type that has extra large luggage that do not fit in the overhead, always stay within AA's size for carry ons, but are concerned about the weight.

CT
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:47 pm
gkl

Programs: FB Ulti, QR-Gold (OWS), TK *Gold, Bonvoy Ambassadort Elite, GHA Titanium, Accor Platinum
On my ORD-TXL flight a couple of months ago, they checked the size of a couple of carry-on bags, although I did not notice that they weighed it also.

At the gate in TXL I never saw anybody checking a carry-on. In my experience, they often do it at check-in, but never at the gate.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 1:24 pm

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
In TXL some gates are impossible to enter without passing the check-in counter. I have been once stopped on entering the gate, even though I was checked in. I was forced to check my carry on in, supposedly because of weight (I paid no fee, but had to remove a few fragile items and juggled them in my hands while boarding the flight). This was annoying and humilating, and I was pissed off, but other than that, now I think that it was fairly harmless.

I have also seen AB agents weighing carry ons on entering security in TXL Terminal C. They weren't really using scales, but just gauging particularly heavy cases by lifting them. Mine was assessed as light, so I do not know what were the repercussions.

All in all, I would not worry if you have some free allowance to check the bag in, in the worst case.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 9:21 am

Originally Posted by wazow
In TXL some gates are impossible to enter without passing the check-in counter. I have been once stopped on entering the gate, even though I was checked in. I was forced to check my carry on in, supposedly because of weight (I paid no fee, but had to remove a few fragile items and juggled them in my hands while boarding the flight). This was annoying and humilating, and I was pissed off, but other than that, now I think that it was fairly harmless.

I have also seen AB agents weighing carry ons on entering security in TXL Terminal C. They weren't really using scales, but just gauging particularly heavy cases by lifting them. Mine was assessed as light, so I do not know what were the repercussions.

All in all, I would not worry if you have some free allowance to check the bag in, in the worst case.
Thank you all for your information - I bought the lightest carry on 6.5lbs, hoping that will help.

CT
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:16 am
m44

Programs: USAir
Originally Posted by Markie
Watch out for split tickets. USAirways issued two tickets (they were unable to do one revenue ticket); one USAirways over Atlantic and the other on Airberlin intra-Europe. There was no problem going form US. But return from Europe: Airberlin checkin desk, airport rep and telephone agent called by the rep refused to check through the bags for Emerald OneWorld (Chairman's USAirways) because of split tickets. Remarks line indicating that thckets are connected left by USAirways did not help either. There was only 45 minutes for connection in FRA.
Before one flames: AA and OneWorld rules say: we will check bags through on Oneworld split tickets without any problems. USAirways changed the rule about 1.5 yrs ago; USAirways "will check through any airline to anyplace" to "f-u" (USAirways splits not excluded).
Old Aug 27, 2014, 11:20 am

Fortunately we have one ticket via AB to Europe and the return is only with US Air back to SAN.

CT
Old Sep 17, 2014, 12:52 pm

Programs: A3 *S
I have an award flight from JFK->DUS on Airberlin, booked with USDM miles, in Business class.

I assume that the normal business class allowance of 2 bags at 32kg/70lb each would be in effect?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 17, 2014, 3:37 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by fizban
I have an award flight from JFK->DUS on Airberlin, booked with USDM miles, in Business class.

I assume that the normal business class allowance of 2 bags at 32kg/70lb each would be in effect?

Can anyone confirm?

Thanks in advance!
Use the link in post# 2.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 12:14 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
Use the link in post# 2.
Actually, I did. It spit out a bunch of different fare categories, none of which included "Business Class Award" or anything remotely similar. That's why I posted the question.
Old Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 am
Original Member

Since nothing more restrictive is listed for business, I think you will get the same allowance as paid J.
Old Sep 19, 2014, 9:14 am

Well, the good news is they let me check in my 55lb luggage into my business class award flight today. Business class on Airberlin is quite nice. Arrived in DUS on time and then connected to TXL and arrived in Berlin on time.

The bad news is they lost my luggage somewhere between JFK->DUS->TXL.

%@$#@$#%!

(My wife's luggage, on the other hand, arrived just fine, which is at least a bit better.)

Is there a master thread for Air Berlin lost luggage issues? Sorry that I cannot read through the entire forum right now, dealing with a bit of an emergency issue here...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.