Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airberlin sucks

Search this Thread

Old Dec 5, 2013, 11:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by TravellingSalesman
The only problem I can see with your routing is that it's a tiny bit of a detour, but maybe you want to maximise some miles.

I have flown AB plenty of times, through both TXL and DUS, and never had any problems with the luggage.
That's because I wanted to visit TXL on my way to VIE. I flew in to MUC on UA.

I ended up not having to check in my bags despite it being slightly larger and heavier than the dimensions mentioned on the website.

I should also mention that I had a pleasant experience flying AB and wouldn't hesitate to use them for short haul intra-Europe flights.

Last edited by BayAreaTraveler; Dec 5, 2013 at 11:12 am
Old Dec 6, 2013, 12:01 pm

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
That's because I wanted to visit TXL on my way to VIE. I flew in to MUC on UA.
Fair enough. Berlin is a great place to visit.

I should also mention that I had a pleasant experience flying AB and wouldn't hesitate to use them for short haul intra-Europe flights.
^ Glad to hear it.
Old Dec 8, 2013, 5:51 am

Programs: Topbonus, Miles&Bonus, Miles&Less
re

Just flew a days old newly refurbished B738 on short haul in Y with very nice Recaro seats, mood lighting and fully retractable overhead bins.

Was a very, very nice experience and handily beats the old and worn out crap from LH shorthaul.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: AY, SK, TK
I was looking for a thread on sharing AB flight experience in general so ended up here.

As regular AY member I have sometimes taken AB intra-EU and I must say that this carrier has been the best experience so far to any others I have taken!

Some experiences (highly subjective of course):
+TXL airport is not that bad after all, even changing terminals. Good to get to Berlin city as well except peak-hours when it can be chaos.
+My flights have been punctual. Neat. Clean. Smiley service.
+I even get a snack on short-haul, not that I care about it, but I am curious to see they can afford that! Coffee free + juices.
+Nice little chocolate after flight.
+I even get FFlyer benefits
+Tickets are usually cheap

-The only negative experience has been they last time spilled a juice cup over me (my shirt, pants and computer) but they did not offer anything for that other than help cleaning myself. I did not ask anythihg since I was expecting they come back to me and give some advice what to do if my computer stops working (still works) or how am I suppose to laundry my clothes. Nothing, I did not even find where I would complain but I just let it go as I was in hurry.

Side note: I don't really understand why AB is often referred as LCC. In my opinion it never was: while the prices are usually quite cheap, I have never seen prices near other real LCC's. And now they are part of Oneworld. Even less so.
Old Apr 14, 2014, 10:03 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
LCC - Dpends on route I guess. Flew DUS-HAM last month. AB 49EUR. LH more than 100EUR.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 5:59 am

Programs: price is a king
My finance loves me when I call AB LCC when traveling for business
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Your fiancée?

Wie süß!!!
Old Apr 15, 2014, 6:49 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
AB in economy class intra-Europe is better than SK intra-Europe and frequentky better than the US majors' general economy-class flights intra-US.
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:18 pm

Programs: price is a king
Originally Posted by irishguy28
Your fiancée?

Wie süß!!!
heh, that might work as well
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:55 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Is AB really that bad? I'm most likely going to fly with them for the first time on my trip next month (via MUC-TXL-VIE) and I'm a little nervous after reading all the experiences people had with lost luggage. Is this mainly an ex-TXL issue?

FWIW, I will be carrying a regular duffel bag. Do I have to still check that in if it's slightly overweight? I don't think I will bring more than 8 kg but it may go over if I buy gifts for family and friends.
If you are checked in online and have a boarding pass then you might get away with your hand luggage being overweight. But I got caught out recently flying AB HER-MUC-LHR (last leg with BA). I didn't have my Boarding Pass and had to queue for 30 minutes to check in. I then was made to weigh my bag (which travels as hand luggage on all other OW carriers) and was told I had to check it in. And, of course, on arrival at LHR it didn't come out for 2 hours (although that's BA's fault rather than AB).
Old Apr 16, 2014, 10:26 am

Programs: SK EBD LTG (*G)
Some gates in TXL have check in counters just by the gate entrance. I was once stopped by agents entering such gate, even though I had the boarding pass, and forced to check in an overwieght hand luggage. Being AB gold did not help...
Old Apr 16, 2014, 12:26 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
Due to it's history as a LCC (or at least that's what I was told) I hadn't flown AB until recently.
We booked a holiday in Marsa Alam, Egypt (RMF). This is a typical airport where only charter companies are flying. Correction, charter companies and AB. Having the choice between a charter flight and AB my choice was quickly made.

The destination and the passengers created some kind of charter/LCC feeling but the service was not worse/not better than what you can expect on any other EU flight. You get drinks and a small snack, included in the price of your flight. I know other companies that don't offer the snack any more, even if it's only a small sandwich and a chocolate bar. Friendly service as well.

Very positive: on the way back even in RMF airport they had a special counter for OW elite customers to check in. So they treat all flights equal.
You all get miles and status miles for all flights!

What a difference from LX where these destinations are flown by Edelweiss and you earn no status miles.
Old Apr 20, 2014, 12:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by kcaluwae
Due to it's history as a LCC (or at least that's what I was told) I hadn't flown AB until recently.
We booked a holiday in Marsa Alam, Egypt (RMF). This is a typical airport where only charter companies are flying. Correction, charter companies and AB. Having the choice between a charter flight and AB my choice was quickly made.

The destination and the passengers created some kind of charter/LCC feeling but the service was not worse/not better than what you can expect on any other EU flight. You get drinks and a small snack, included in the price of your flight. I know other companies that don't offer the snack any more, even if it's only a small sandwich and a chocolate bar. Friendly service as well.

Very positive: on the way back even in RMF airport they had a special counter for OW elite customers to check in. So they treat all flights equal.
You all get miles and status miles for all flights!

What a difference from LX where these destinations are flown by Edelweiss and you earn no status miles.
Even with long haul destinations like CPT and YVR they are flown by WK and for LX mainline there is no mileage earnings on K fares
Also WK cannot be sold on the GDS (at least Amadeus)
Old Apr 22, 2014, 3:40 pm

Programs: Breuninger Platin, airberlin topbonus
airberlin sucks? No, they don't.

I fly them all the time on inner-German routes from Dusseldorf (Dash 8 mostly). Haven't ever had to wait a minute at bagdrop, all flights were on time with good on board service. Oh yes... and usually half the price of LH. Pushing hard for topbonus Silver now.
Old Apr 23, 2014, 4:16 pm

Programs: AB Gold, LH FTL, ST ElitePlus, HH Gold, LeClub Plat, Melia Gold
AirBerlin doesn't suck, but it's not as cheap as some claim...or at least not on my routes! I still prefer by far a SEN lounge to crapy AB "exclusive areas" for instance! Yet, I have come to change my mind on AB. Gold perks are great, like the second piece of hand luggage, or the free middle seat upon availability - and mile earning is generous compared to LH. I'm now also a big fan of pre-ordered meals Never tried long-haul with them though, and not really in a hurry to do so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.