Community
Wiki Posts
Search

airberlin sucks

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2013, 8:53 am

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
I am not a fan... planes I've taken are old and cramped. LH is far better in my opinion in this regard. AB essentially operates a low-cost product within Europe at the same rates (or higher) as LH. Also found their times to many cities to be awful (only super early or super late departures). They need to upgrade their offering a bit in my opinion.
Old Oct 21, 2013, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by IceInTheCider
Just arrived at TXL on AB from AUH and so did my suitcase. I will fly AB again on leisure trips.
so everything went ok and AB still sucks? why?
DId you get true lie-flat seats?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by desi
so everything went ok and AB still sucks? why?
DId you get true lie-flat seats?
I didn't say AB sucks and I will fly them in the new J again long haul if it is an option. I experienced the new J flat beds yes. My only criticism would be that they could do with 2 or 3 inches more legroom.

Other than that, I enjoyed my first AB experience.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 8:07 pm

Programs: AC*E, Accor Platinum, Hilton Silver
AB is usually good bang for the buck. I flew with them couple of times on short routes and I would say it is not worse if not better than LH Cityline.
Old Oct 30, 2013, 7:09 pm

Programs: Many
It's was a relief to read some positive comments because the first ones were not cheering me up at the thought of flying AB next summer.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:42 pm

Programs: The Golden status boy
Flying DUS-JFK on AB in J for the first time in May. Problem is that we only have a 45 min. connection in DUS from FCO. When we get to JFK, we have to switch to EWR for our flight home to DFW on AA.

How's AB's efficiency with transporting luggage in such a short time? The only other J/F mileage redemptions with AA had us fly to LAX on AB and spend the night. But, there's more of a gap in transit through.
Old Oct 31, 2013, 12:53 pm

Programs: Mattiott Lifetime Titanium Elite, LH SEN, IB Emerald, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by spankytoes
Flying DUS-JFK on AB in J for the first time in May. Problem is that we only have a 45 min. connection in DUS from FCO. When we get to JFK, we have to switch to EWR for our flight home to DFW on AA.

How's AB's efficiency with transporting luggage in such a short time? The only other J/F mileage redemptions with AA had us fly to LAX on AB and spend the night. But, there's more of a gap in transit through.
Should work in Duesseldorf... for Berlin I highly doubt it
Old Nov 27, 2013, 1:23 pm

Next Time Fly on Lufthansa.

I am serious on Lufthansa in Coach Class they have a great entertainment system and their food is really good. Request a special meal such as a Vegetarian Meal and you will be served first.

You can get Campari, A Good Gin and Tonic, Red, White, Riesling Sparkling Wines,and other mixers in Coach.

Lufthansa has a great connection system going at Munich(much smaller than Frankfurt) and you can go from Schengen to Non Schengen within 45 minutes. Plus you can connect to pretty much anywhere you need to such as Dusseldorf/Berlin.

Enjoy the Biergarten at Munich. It's worth the extra price to fly with Lufthansa.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by danielonn

I am serious on Lufthansa in Coach Class they have a great entertainment system and their food is really good. Request a special meal such as a Vegetarian Meal and you will be served first.

You can get Campari, A Good Gin and Tonic, Red, White, Riesling Sparkling Wines,and other mixers in Coach.

Lufthansa has a great connection system going at Munich(much smaller than Frankfurt) and you can go from Schengen to Non Schengen within 45 minutes. Plus you can connect to pretty much anywhere you need to such as Dusseldorf/Berlin.

Enjoy the Biergarten at Munich. It's worth the extra price to fly with Lufthansa.
Great until you earn no miles flying them...
(many of the fares I would fly are 25-50% earning in m+m, and earn 0% credited to *A. This is why OW gets my TATL business.)
Old Nov 27, 2013, 11:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Great until you earn no miles flying them...
(many of the fares I would fly are 25-50% earning in m+m, and earn 0% credited to *A. This is why OW gets my TATL business.)
Well, try SkyTeam (DL, AF, KL), most of the fares earn next to nothing.
UA/LH are still somewhat decent. There are still some moderately priced fares out there which earn 100% miles. Of course with cheap K, there is nada.
Old Nov 28, 2013, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba

So no biergarten for AB pax?
Old Nov 30, 2013, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by warakorn
Well, try SkyTeam (DL, AF, KL), most of the fares earn next to nothing.
UA/LH are still somewhat decent. There are still some moderately priced fares out there which earn 100% miles. Of course with cheap K, there is nada.
The cheap AF/KL fares mostly earn 25% or 50% in FB, but continue to earn 100% if credited to DL. So sort of backwards compared to LH.
Old Dec 4, 2013, 12:13 pm

Programs: QF LTG, LH (SEN*** till 02/26), AF, AA, AB-G†
airberlin sucks

IFE on LH? Wait until you sit on an old 747 without personal screen. AB has videoscreens on shorthaul flights.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 2:15 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Originally Posted by BayAreaTraveler
Is AB really that bad? I'm most likely going to fly with them for the first time on my trip next month (via MUC-TXL-VIE) and I'm a little nervous after reading all the experiences people had with lost luggage. Is this mainly an ex-TXL issue?
The only problem I can see with your routing is that it's a tiny bit of a detour, but maybe you want to maximise some miles.

I have flown AB plenty of times, through both TXL and DUS, and never had any problems with the luggage.
Old Dec 5, 2013, 4:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG

Are you working for LH ?

I don't think you have tried their NEK? Or row 83 on their A380 - if the one sitting in front of you is over 85kg, his seat will recline toward you the whole flight.

Food is inedible IMO, once in an earlier MUC-CPH LH flight I got sandwich straight out from a freezer, it was frozen when it was handed to me.

AB smashed my suitcase once, yes they refused to pay - they make the procedure very painful to go through unless you just want a letter from them for reporting to your own travel insurance. I didn't want to do that but I had to because I know it's going to be a seriously long battle.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.