Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > airberlin | topbonus
Reload this Page >

Number of US Destinations really so limited?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB, M+

Hi!

I was wondering if AB really only offers such a limited number of US destinations.
I was wanting to use the rest of my AB miles for a flight from Denver to Miami in September, but that seems like a no-go.
What gives?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 7:16 am
Original Poster

Edit: It looks like you cannot book any flights within the US at all. Is that the case or is that only the website not offering this option?
Old Aug 2, 2012, 8:46 am

Programs: American, Delta, JetBlue, United
I presume that the flight from Denver to Miami would be on American Airlines. I am a member of AA's program, and I know that it is not possible to book award travel on Air Berlin on the AA website--it's necessary to phone. Perhaps the same is true as far as using AB miles to book AA award travel is concerned.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Yes, it would be with AA. But apparently AB does not even offer DEN as a destination, period.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 1:18 am

Programs: QF LTG, LH LT-FTL (HON till 02/25), AB-G†

You can earn and spend your AB miles on AA flights. To book an award flight just call them.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:45 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, BA EC Gold, TK Elite, KL Silver
Originally Posted by Dannibal
Yes, it would be with AA. But apparently AB does not even offer DEN as a destination, period.
You clearly do not understand that much about how the longhaul market works. LH and BA serve DEN as the only two airlines from Europe. Why would AB offer DEN when BA already covers it from LHR for OW with connection to almost anywhere in Europe? DEN couldn't even support more capacity to Europe, so no need for AB. You got JFK, MIA, RSW, LAS, LAX, SFO and in 2013 ORD with them anyways.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 2:47 am

Originally Posted by sebblum
You clearly do not understand that much about how the longhaul market works. LH and BA serve DEN as the only two airlines from Europe. Why would AB offer DEN when BA already covers it from LHR for OW with connection to almost anywhere in Europe? DEN couldn't even support more capacity to Europe, so no need for AB. You got JFK, MIA, RSW, LAS, LAX, SFO and in 2013 ORD with them anyways.
Yes, this is the reason for Codeshares and alliances!

BTW: Most airlines do not allow to book Awards on partner airlines online. You have to call them!
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sebblum
Sorry Mr. Smart Alec, I should have clarified: AB does not even offer DEN as a topbonus destination on their website.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tyrolean
Yes, this is the reason for Codeshares and alliances!

BTW: Most airlines do not allow to book Awards on partner airlines online. You have to call them!
Air France allows you to do so and since that's where I have parked most of my miles, I was surprised to see that AB does not offer this option.
But thank you for your help. I will give them a call to see if anything is available for the dates I am looking at.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 3:19 pm

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, BD..oh, wait..
What one airline does, does not necessarily carry over to another. Massively different backend systems, web interfaces etc.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 1:09 am

LH does not. All Partner Awards have to be booked offline.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 2:50 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold, BA EC Gold, TK Elite, KL Silver
Sorry Mr. Smart Alec, I should have clarified: AB does not even offer DEN as a topbonus destination on their website.
My bad
Old Aug 9, 2012, 11:20 am

Programs: AA EXP,AS MVPG,MR Platinum,HH Gold
I'm sure it's within MPM to fly to LAX and backtrack to DEN but your best bet would probably be to fly to ORD and on to DEN. Both of them are AA hub cities so it makes it a bit easier to snag a connecting flight.

Bear in mind not many airlines actually fly directly to Denver. The only European foreign carriers are Lufthansa and British. There are no Asian foreign carriers landing at DEN either. Hard to fault AB on that one, I guess it's just a small market

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.