AB to launch BER-ORD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2012, 12:31 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
AB to launch BER-ORD

Per airlineroute.net

http://airlineroute.net/2012/07/11/ab-berord-s13/

airberlin in Summer 2013 is launching new service on Berlin Brandenburg – Chicago route, becoming the only operator offering nonstop service. Initially service operates 3 times a week from 23MAR13 but this will increase to 5 times a week by 01MAY13.

Reservation for the new flight is now open. Schedule:

AB7420 BER1000 – 1210ORD 332 146
AB7421 ORD1525 – 0700+1BER 332 146

From 01MAY13, service operates Day x25
Old Jul 12, 2012, 12:30 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Very excited to see this. Love Berlin and go at least once or twice a year. That said, I'm have questions about the in-flight experience. No power outlets at seats. No lie-flt seats. I'm hoping they'll up their game on these long-haul routes soon. Beats connecting through NYC airports or connecting in Europe.
Old Jul 12, 2012, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Very excited to see this. Love Berlin and go at least once or twice a year. That said, I'm have questions about the in-flight experience. No power outlets at seats. No lie-flt seats. I'm hoping they'll up their game on these long-haul routes soon. Beats connecting through NYC airports or connecting in Europe.
Me too! It's always nice too see more long haul flights from Berlin.

I do agree that they could definitely step up the game in Business Class for long haul flights, particularly to AUH, JFK, MIA, LAX, SFO and perhaps LAS and YVR. Hopefully, within a year or two, we'll see some MAJOR upgrades to Business Class in order to attract more individual and corporate business.
Old Jul 13, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Also excited to see this. Travel to Germany often, and have been waiting for this since AA got rid of 83/84. While their J certainly doesn't compete with legacy carriers, I think you're a little behind on their seating configuration; "new" J seats have in-seat power and 170-degree lie-flats (see http://www.airberlin.com/site/landin...s.php?LANG=eng). Service, however, is still fairly marginal, but as you said, willing to make tradeoffs to avoid connecting at JFK or LHR.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
While I was hoping that AA would launch this service instead, I'm glad that at least AB is doing it. But I do hate the departure times at both ends. 10am is too early for a US-bound flight IMO, and an overnight flight from ORD that leaves before 4pm is also a bit early. I guess something is better than nothing. And this is at least something. ^

BTW, does AB have enough 332s to cover all of these long-haul routes? What's being sacraficed, if anything?
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:49 am

Programs: AA PLT, HHonors Gold
I am wondering if anyone can post their experience with Air Berlin out of ORD. Right now I have award seats in Business Class on hold ORD-TXL-VCE for next October. Can anyone comment on the flight from Chicago? Most important to me is that the flight is comfortable, enjoyable and overall pleasant. I consider myself a pretty "easy" traveler so I am not expecting CX service levels. I realize that TXL might not be the best airport for transfers, but the schedule was right, availability there and I didn't have to pay an obscene amount in taxes/fees. Thanks in advance everyone.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA PLT
Originally Posted by chiil1974
I am wondering if anyone can post their experience with Air Berlin out of ORD. Right now I have award seats in Business Class on hold ORD-TXL-VCE for next October. Can anyone comment on the flight from Chicago? Most important to me is that the flight is comfortable, enjoyable and overall pleasant. I consider myself a pretty "easy" traveler so I am not expecting CX service levels. I realize that TXL might not be the best airport for transfers, but the schedule was right, availability there and I didn't have to pay an obscene amount in taxes/fees. Thanks in advance everyone.
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised. I have found staff on board to be generally pleasant and helpful (although ground staff can be a bit surly). The newest generation of J seats are very nice, although the ones from the generation before are quite serviceable as well. TXL is an easy airport for transfers; if you check your baggage all the way through it shouldn't take more than 15-20 minutes. In short, I think you'll have an enjoyable journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.