Wiki Posts
Search

Flying Air NZ in November

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2009, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: NW,DL,AA,US,Marriott
Flying Air NZ in November

I am planning to fly Air NZ in November from LAX-AKL one way as we are taking a cruise back to LAX in December. What is economy class like? I have read about the seat selection and was wondering if it is best to try and get the two seats in the back and do they recline all the way.
Old Jun 1, 2009, 8:42 pm

Depends what you want to compare it to!

Seriously... for Y it is pretty decent. I try very hard to make sure I'm on a 744 operated flight as I think it is better... (34" pitch compared to 32" on the 777)

The AVOD is good... works reasonably well (slow response to control inputs is all) and the programming offers lots of choices... movies/TV shows/games.

I like the seats down the back on that aircraft.. others don't... there is supposedly more noticeable aircraft movement there.. but as an ex-sailor I can't say I've ever noticed it. You could think of it as acclimatisation for the cruise perhaps... AFAIK they recline as much as all the other seats.... which is of course not a great deal!

The armrests do NOT go all the way up which is my one real gripe with NZ's Y cabin.....

I've always found the food edible and the service pretty good too.....

P.S. Cruising from AKL to LAX???

I am SOOOO jealous.....^
Old Jun 2, 2009, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
I'd say overall it's up there with SQ and EK Y. Those carriers have better IFE systems than NZ, but NZ 747 planes have 34" of legroom as opposed to the normal economy standard of 32" (which NZ 777 has, and trooper mentioned above). Food is pretty decent for Y and the cabin crew are much more pleasant than US carriers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.