Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A320's on NZ Domestic?

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2009, 7:45 pm
Original Poster

A320's on NZ Domestic?

Does ANZ have any A320's scheduled to do Domestic runs? Whilst in NZ in August, I would like to fly one of their 320's, but is it all just 737's on the major routes?

Old May 22, 2009, 8:28 pm

Programs: QF Gold, UA*G, AZ Freccia Alata - SkyTeam Elite Plus
I've been on an A320 on domestic flights, but only because a few of their 737's were being serviced.
Old May 22, 2009, 9:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk GO_CAT

NZ used to have some A320 scheduled flights between AKL, WLG & CHC for repositioning or utilising spare a/c but haven't for a while. With trans-tasman schedule reductions repositioning needs are much less. That said in irrops they may be swapped in on domestic.
Old May 22, 2009, 11:58 pm
Original Poster

Yeah, thanks for that Will just have to wait and see!
Old May 23, 2009, 2:05 am

Programs: NZ Koru
If your brave JetStar starts New Zealand Domstic Services from then 10 June.
Old May 23, 2009, 8:12 pm
Original Poster

I will give JQ NZ a shot or two, but as an A320 F/O, I am in no way impressed by their standards in terms of Pilot Conditions and possible safety issues that will resort from this... I have heard many stories about the guys that they are about to sign on over there, nearly all fresh of sim, not thats a problem, but with inexperience most certainly comes accidents, even more so with a country of NZ which does have severe weather at times and for a new airline startup that could be majority flown by newbies who are new to the A320. Just look at the Q400 accident recently in the states..

Just my 2 cents.
Old May 23, 2009, 9:59 pm

Programs: NZ*GE / EK*GOLD
Just flew Q300's twice into Wellington during the rough weather and its not the nicest but it was still safe. As for the A320s, quite happy flying the 737's with space+
Old May 23, 2009, 10:16 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
After the tragic loss earlier this year NZ has been short of an A320. Although some flights have been cut, I thought the freed up A320 was then put on TT flights to reduce the capacity to match demand.
Old May 24, 2009, 1:27 am

Angry "...but with inexperience most certainly comes accidents..."

There's a generally accepted consensus that airlines avoid competing with each other on a safety basis - that's why there are no TV commercials saying "We're more likely to get you there alive than XXX..." and so on. This policy is a consensus because this kind of advertising is a double-edged sword: In the end, everybody gets cut and hurt.

Inexperience, in itself, does not "cause accidents" - all pilots are inexperienced when they start flying. A sound training program, solid SOP's and excellent training pilots ensure a safe transition to their becoming experienced pilots.

GO_CAT's post is disingenuous. It is attempting to use an ongoing IR disagreement within the global Pilot community to shade the name of an airline. The Q400 accident mentioned may have experience levels as a contributory factor (the report is not yet published) but there are many other significant contributory factors as well, not least, fatigue, training and type specific issues.

As an Air NZ employee, sure, I'd like to "beat" JQ commercially, but I'd prefer to do it in a fair fight in a defined arena rather than by using slur and innuendo.
Old May 24, 2009, 4:04 pm

There is still the odd A320 flight on the domestic: though a lot more rare than in the recent past. Look out for a four digit flight number beginning '1' -- NZ1XXX numbers rather than the usual NZXXX domestic -- and remember that the aircraft type can change if you're booking a way out. I've only seen the 320 on domestic flights to Queenstown in the past few weeks, but can't for the life of me remember whether it was from AKL or WLG.
Old May 24, 2009, 10:13 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by stewardo
There is still the odd A320 flight on the domestic: though a lot more rare than in the recent past. Look out for a four digit flight number beginning '1' -- NZ1XXX numbers rather than the usual NZXXX domestic -- and remember that the aircraft type can change if you're booking a way out. I've only seen the 320 on domestic flights to Queenstown in the past few weeks, but can't for the life of me remember whether it was from AKL or WLG.
They had a grabaseat the other day WLG-DUD vv and those flights began with NZ1XXX. I wondered about the flight number. A repositioning flight? Flight was WLG-DUD-WLG in the same day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.