Community
Wiki Posts
Search

NZ Sampler and Status Running

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2009, 10:20 pm
Original Poster

NZ Sampler and Status Running

Just got my GE comp and heading to NZ soon, mainly to try and fly on QFNZ domestic for the last time, but I thought while I'm there also sample NZ domestic, since I have never, ever flown NZ before in my life. (Unfortunately, I'm constrained by the fact that my only day there is 29/05. That's way too soon for any GAS let alone very sparse (and high bucket) Smart Saver fares, but such is - I'm prepared to accept the cost.)

Notwithstanding the unfortunate circumstances, what are the typical routes in the NZ domestic network that are usually suited for status running, or typically are the cheapest (irrespective of actual status running capability)?

I think - just like QF in AU - the best status running routes tend to be between major centres, viz. AKL/WLG, although I also noticed WLG/Palmerston North going (and gone) in the last GAS for $6 one-way (albeit only 8 tier points). (In AU, unless there are specials, QantasLink fares are rarely status-running competitive). The tier points are not really important per se - I'm not really aiming (viz. I can't see it happening) to requalify for GE after my comp; although requalifying for GE is broadly cheaper than requalifying for QF WP, the cheapest (most competitive) process to achieve this is painful (lots of Smart Saver/GAS flights - I mean a lot ). So I guess I'm asking the question more out of general interest, or perhaps one day when I do decide to run for NZ (*A) status.

Also, I notice that NZ awards tier credits and Airpoints based on journeys rather than point-to-point (a la how QF award SCs and points, multi-stops-on-single-flight-numbers excepted). So does it pay (especially since there is no c/c fee in NZ) to book every sector as a separate booking? (I know, the pundits are saying this increases your risk of being left in the cold in the case of a misconnect....do they look after GEs in this kind of lurch?)

P.S. this is only my second post (first OP) in the Airpoints forum, so feel free to pick me up on any misuse or underuse of the NZ-board specific abbreviations, TLAs, etc.

Last edited by anat0l; May 12, 2009 at 10:27 pm
Old May 13, 2009, 5:43 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
That is really no way to go about getting NZ status. Any status points you earn in a single day won't be enough for anything.

If you're based in Australia and want GE status (which is worthwhile, for the two annual free long-haul upgrades) I always think that the best bang for your buck is to buy a A$3000 Australia-Tahiti Business Class return.

This is because it is less than half the cost of a ticket to LAX/SFO and a third of the cost of one to LHR, but delivers around 90% of the status points.

The other good way is to wait for short-term promotional Business Class fares to LAX/SFO - I got four at $5500 each in March.

Honestly, once you're used to the Air NZ long-haul product you basically won't ever want to fly the red rodent again!
Old May 13, 2009, 5:58 pm

Grabaseat fares are also ok for earning status.
Old May 13, 2009, 6:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DCF
That is really no way to go about getting NZ status. Any status points you earn in a single day won't be enough for anything.

If you're based in Australia and want GE status (which is worthwhile, for the two annual free long-haul upgrades) I always think that the best bang for your buck is to buy a A$3000 Australia-Tahiti Business Class return.

This is because it is less than half the cost of a ticket to LAX/SFO and a third of the cost of one to LHR, but delivers around 90% of the status points.

The other good way is to wait for short-term promotional Business Class fares to LAX/SFO - I got four at $5500 each in March.

Honestly, once you're used to the Air NZ long-haul product you basically won't ever want to fly the red rodent again!
Thanks for your reply, although I think there may have been some confusion - I realise that you can't get status in one day, let alone near as such.

This was more an interest thing per se.
Old May 14, 2009, 3:40 am

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
Originally Posted by anat0l
Thanks for your reply, although I think there may have been some confusion - I realise that you can't get status in one day, let alone near as such.

This was more an interest thing per se.
WLG-CHC return is usually the cheapest way to earn 24SP, due to DJ and JQ competition on this route.
DCF is correct the best earning run is C East Coast Australia to AKL then to PPT.
Also when planning trips in NZ some regional airports have a PAX Charge on top, eg. PMR $5.
Old May 14, 2009, 4:01 am

To possibly help clarify the answer for anat0l, does NZ's definition of 'journey' mean that WLG-CHC-WLG in a day earns the same points as WLG-CHC-WLG-CHC-WLG-CHC-WLG?
Old May 14, 2009, 2:07 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
To possibly help clarify the answer for anat0l, does NZ's definition of 'journey' mean that WLG-CHC-WLG in a day earns the same points as WLG-CHC-WLG-CHC-WLG-CHC-WLG?
Yes if all credited to airpoints, no if credited to other programs.

Notwithstanding the unfortunate circumstances, what are the typical routes in the NZ domestic network that are usually suited for status running, or typically are the cheapest (irrespective of actual status running capability)?

I think - just like QF in AU - the best status running routes tend to be between major centres, viz. AKL/WLG, although I also noticed WLG/Palmerston North going (and gone) in the last GAS for $6 one-way (albeit only 8 tier points). (In AU, unless there are specials, QantasLink fares are rarely status-running competitive). The tier points are not really important per se - I'm not really aiming (viz. I can't see it happening) to requalify for GE after my comp; although requalifying for GE is broadly cheaper than requalifying for QF WP, the cheapest (most competitive) process to achieve this is painful (lots of Smart Saver/GAS flights - I mean a lot ). So I guess I'm asking the question more out of general interest, or perhaps one day when I do decide to run for NZ (*A) status.

Also, I notice that NZ awards tier credits and Airpoints based on journeys rather than point-to-point (a la how QF award SCs and points, multi-stops-on-single-flight-numbers excepted). So does it pay (especially since there is no c/c fee in NZ) to book every sector as a separate booking? (I know, the pundits are saying this increases your risk of being left in the cold in the case of a misconnect....do they look after GEs in this kind of lurch?)
Separate tickets makes no difference to the earning rate. The most you can earn with Airpoints flying domestic in a day is 38 (kiwi) airbucks. Other than grab-a-seat cheapest routes are in the triangle AKL-WLG-CHC-AKL plus CHC-DUD & CHC-ZQN.

If you are on higher fares then flying a route that is common rated between nonstop and via a hub is useful, provided can credit 1 flight to airpoints and other to another *A FFP. Eg AKL or CHC to BHE or NSN (via WLG).
Old May 14, 2009, 2:09 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
Also when planning trips in NZ some regional airports have a PAX Charge on top, eg. PMR $5.
Domestic airports with departure fee payable at the airport (even for transits/turnarounds) are HLZ, PMR and ROT for domestic flights and all except AKL for international flights.
Old May 14, 2009, 6:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Yes if all credited to airpoints, no if credited to other programs.
I wonder how NZ track this; Airpoints crediting per day is easy, but if you fly many routes all on different PNRs, how do they classify that as one journey or more than one journey. I might be missing some definitions on the (somewhat fuzzy) website.....

Separate tickets makes no difference to the earning rate. The most you can earn with Airpoints flying domestic in a day is 38 (kiwi) airbucks.
Again, I can't find this quoted limit on the website. It is "possible" to earn more than 38 airbucks in a day...

Also, does this "cap" apply to earning airbucks, or does it also apply to earning status points?

I don't know if I'm confusing airbucks and status points here, or they are almost one and the same.... the website seems to make a point of separating the two concepts...

Other than grab-a-seat cheapest routes are in the triangle AKL-WLG-CHC-AKL plus CHC-DUD & CHC-ZQN.
As suspected, although CHC/DUD & CHC/ZQN were a bit unexpected, esp. since there isn't much competition on CHC/ZQN (more so when QFNZ depart).

Originally Posted by Blackcloud
DCF is correct the best earning run is C East Coast Australia to AKL then to PPT.
Originally Posted by DCF

According to the NZ website (from AU), East Coast AU - Tahiti yields 265 AU airbucks and 295 status points. Double those (return) and you get 530 AU airbucks and 590 status points. That's instant NZ S (*S), but a bit of a stretch more (or another such flight) to get NZ G (*G) and much more of a stretch to get NZ GE (also *G). (I'm assuming first time accrual, not retaining, since AFAICT comps require full qualification criteria to "retain" status).

Am I missing something here?

Originally Posted by DCF
I'll reserve my judgement until I fly Business Premier, but considering that they grovelled VS to the rights for the design, in some respects I probably have an idea what to expect. And yes I know that honestly does give QF a run for its money (not pun intended).
Old May 14, 2009, 6:49 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

I wonder how NZ track this; Airpoints crediting per day is easy, but if you fly many routes all on different PNRs, how do they classify that as one journey or more than one journey. I might be missing some definitions on the (somewhat fuzzy) website.....
The Airpoints T&Cs define journey. In practice unless doing same day return all flying same day on NZ is treated as a single journey. I have done such odd routings in a day as AKL-WLG-CHC-HLZ-WLG-NPE-CHC-AKL. It got treated as 2 journeys, AKL-CHC and CHC-AKL.

Again, I can't find this quoted limit on the website. It is "possible" to earn more than 38 airbucks in a day...
Maximum airbucks for a domestic journey is 19, and max 2 journeys per day.

Also, does this "cap" apply to earning airbucks, or does it also apply to earning status points?
Both.

I don't know if I'm confusing airbucks and status points here, or they are almost one and the same.... the website seems to make a point of separating the two concepts...
For status use status points. For redemptions use airbucks. Status points are credited at same rate as airbucks except (a) no status points for anything not a *A flight and (b) cheapest fares domestic Tasman and Pacific earn status points but not airbucks.

I'll reserve my judgement until I fly Business Premier, but considering that they grovelled VS to the rights for the design, in some respects I probably have an idea what to expect. And yes I know that honestly does give QF a run for its money (not pun intended).
NZ paid VS for the rights to use the seat (unlike CX, DL, AC).
Old May 14, 2009, 10:51 pm
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
I'm surprised that the OP doesn't think that A$6000 for Air NZ Gold staus is a bargain.

I reckon that each of the two long-haul complimentary upgrades is worth around $2500 to me, and then there is lounge use across the Star network to factor in.

I have often considered moving to Qantas but just can't justify it because the frequent flyer benefits are so poor. Not to mention I don't want to use precious money or points only to have to sit, or, worse, try to sleep, in a Skybin.
Old May 14, 2009, 11:11 pm

There are much cheaper ways of getting and keeping *A Gold for longer periods... NZ Gold and Gold Elite are only worth it if you fly NZ often.

Likewise, if you fly Oneworld, you don't have to credit to QFF. e.g. credit to AAdvantage if you want good value redemptions. Although, if you want Anytime (regardless of carrier) Lounge access, QFF is a good program.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.