Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

What happens to us in LAX on our stopover??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 20, 2009, 6:55 am
Original Poster

Hello,

Two of my friends and I are soon to be travelling from Auckland, New Zealand through to London, England via LAX.
We arrive on an Air New Zealand flight, and depart on a Virgin Atlantic flight. There is an 8 hour delay between one flight arriving and the other departing.

Could you please let me know what will happen to us while we are there. Will we have to go through immigration as if LA is our final destination, only to check in again a few hours later? Or will we be stuck in the dreaded "pen" on the other side of immigration for the duration?

If we do go through immigration and are therefore free to leave the airport, will we have to take our bags with us, or will they be left in the system and automatically transfered to our new plane?

As 8 hours is quite a bit of time to fill, we would like to know what options we are going to have.

Thank you in advance for your response.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:31 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
You can immigrate and then check-in again. I do it all the time on United.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 7:34 am

Programs: BA Silver
You only get held in the pen if you are connecting through on NZ1/2. As you are connecting onto a different flight you will follow the procedure as if you were ending your journey in LAX, so you go through normal immigration and colect your bags from the belt. If the agent in AKL has interlined your bags through to LHR which they should do if you are on a single ticket, then you simply drop your bag on the connection belt the other side of customs and you are free to enjoy the delights of LA for the duration of your stopover. As you have so long you might want to consider heading to one of the nearby beaches rather than staying at the airport. When you are ready just head back to T2 go through security and head on to London.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:15 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Try some local cuisine

If you're heading out, might as well go to the oft mentioned In n Out by the airport. Near cult like following for those who are FT'ers :-)

There's also a $6 bus that runs every 30 minutes to Downtown LA, where you can then connect to Hollywood on the Redline Subway ($1.25) and see where the Oscars are held.

Get more daring and just rent a car and drive around; depending on the day of your rental, it can be cheaper than getting a cab.
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:30 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
If you're heading out, might as well go to the oft mentioned In n Out by the airport. Near cult like following for those who are FT'ers :-)
I beleive there is an off airport parking lot next to the In n out burger. Is it the done thing to board the free shuttle to the parking site and just head to the burger place? Do you know the name of the parking place? I think it is one of those with the yellow dotty busses but never know which one?
Old Feb 20, 2009, 9:42 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys, all very helpful comments.

Jetstreamer - when you say "f the agent in AKL has interlined your bags..." do you mean our travel agent we arrange the flights through? or just the person at the counter when we check in at Auckland?

and luv2ctheworld - FT = FlyerTalkers? Frequent Travellers? Foreign Tourists? Sorry - not up on the initialisms in this forum just yet! :-)
Old Feb 20, 2009, 11:09 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Welcome to Flyer Talk Fattysock

At check in at AKL ask for your bags to be through checked to LHR (or wherever your final destination). If the VS flight is on a separate ticket you will need to show that. Your bag should then have a tag for LHR via LAX. The advantage of doing this is you can redeposit the bag at the drop just past customs in LAX instead of lugging it around until VS check in opens.

FTers = FlyerTalkers
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:23 am

Programs: AA-1MM
Please tell me how to get to the In-n-Out near the airport on the cheap...I usually take a cab to one near Manhattan Beach and then do some shopping...but getting a cab back from Manhattan Beach is a bit of trouble...I really just want the burger and would happily skip the shopping...
Old Feb 21, 2009, 3:33 am

Programs: AA-1MM
Sorry for the last post....just found the thread....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/los-a...d-threads.html

When is the next in-n-out DO?
Old Feb 22, 2009, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by AKLDUBFlyer
I usually take a cab to one near Manhattan Beach and then do some shopping...but getting a cab back from Manhattan Beach is a bit of trouble...
I always have trouble getting a cab back from Manhattan Beach - there is a shuttle that goes between the LAX hotels and the beach/shopping mall, may be a cheap way if you can't find a cab. Think its every 20 minutes or so.
Old Feb 26, 2009, 11:53 am

Programs: Too many golds, no plat: OZ*G, AC*G, NZ*G, VA Gold, QF Gold, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Having been to LA recently and finally tried an In-N-Out after all the reverential comments on FT, I really can't see what the fuss is about. Especially if you prefer your burgers in the Australasian style.

They were just simple, basic, old fashioned burgers - if anything, a bit bland. What am I missing here?

Personally I'd rather go to the retro bar/restaurant 'Encounters' (located in the Jetson's like structure in the center of the car park between the terminals) and drink a few potent cocktails. Unfortunately it is under scaffolding at the moment but it's still open...
Old Feb 26, 2009, 12:34 pm

Programs: NZ Elite Partner/Silver (in own right), PR Classic, QF Bronze, UA Member, VA Red
I don't get the In-and-Out thing really. (Although I do always look out for Kirstie Alley when I go, but she tends to drive inland to get her fix!).

If you venture further from the airport you can find Islands- much better, but more pricey. (I think its the Westchester branch that is the closest).

My favourite comfort food eatery though is Dinah's Family Restaurant- but then I love diners.

(both of the above are bus-able).

Once when I had a bit of time to kill, I stumbled across what looked like a airport workers cafe, kind of near the entrance to Encounters. Very cheap food - burgers, meals etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.