Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Multiple flights on a single booking - any benefit?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 11, 2008, 9:01 am
Original Poster

Hi, first time I've ventured in to this forum so hopefully you guys can help me.

I've got to book the following flights for next year:

Sydney to Auckland
Rotorua to Queenstown
Queenstown to Christchurch
Christchurch to Sydney

These will all be cheapy, fixed tickets so is there any benefit of phoning Air NZ and booking these all together or might I as well book them directly on the website one-by-one?

Cheers

Kieran
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:11 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
It depends. Generally the benefit of linking separate tickets on one PNR is to;
1. Ensure that luggage is transfered to the next flight, without hassle
2. Provide some protection if your first flight is delayed that they may be proactive at your origin and rebook you rather than just wanting to get you to your transfer (as they see that as the destination).
3. If your international flight has a better luggage allowance.
4. If your international trip is in business class but you have no status, it can 'help' with lounge access.
5. Some instances of travel insurance are easier if they can see the whole itinerary.

If none of the above apply or are important then book separate tickets. If you provide dates and times we could provide a better answer.

Mark
Old Oct 11, 2008, 11:27 am
Original Poster

Thanks Mark - without going in to too much detail (as to not bore) none of the above apply so that's great and we'll book seperately.

Cheers
Old Oct 11, 2008, 2:58 pm

Of course the Air NZ website now has a multi-city booking tool.....
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:06 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
It has had one for years. The old tool, while not flash, worked far better (for me) than the current one.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by Kezza25
Thanks Mark - without going in to too much detail (as to not bore) none of the above apply so that's great and we'll book seperately.

Cheers
There's one more reason not previously mentioned:
It can be cheaper.

If you book everything as single segments, you'll miss out on pricing through-fares if they cost less than the sum of individual flights. I don't think this applies for your itinerary, but keep this in mind in general.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 3:41 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
Originally Posted by ntddevsys
I recently used this tool for AKL-BNE-(land transport)-SYD-AKL. I found it okay although my parents had alot of trouble useing it.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 6:32 pm

Programs: NZ*E,SQ ,QF IC AMB Plat, hltn gold
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
It has had one for years. The old tool, while not flash, worked far better (for me) than the current one.
that is very very treue the new tool is hopeless when trying to brak journeys , i tried wlg-akl-fra( via) lhr-yvr-wlg , it refused point blank , worked beter when i rtemoved wlg but still couldnt complet ehte booking like expedia tool would.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 7:12 pm

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
More than once I've been unable to do something on their multi city tool, phoned the call cetnre and refused to pay the call centre fee.

If the web site won't let you do it, why should I pay extra for them to do it? So far, they've agreed every time.

Classic scenario was trans Tasman say AKL-MEL then SYD-AKL. Booking it as two separate fares was about 100 bucks more than doing it as a return with an open jaw. It was something to do with taxes.
Old Oct 11, 2008, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL Plat, NZ Elite, QF Plat
Originally Posted by davidrnz
Classic scenario was trans Tasman say AKL-MEL then SYD-AKL. Booking it as two separate fares was about 100 bucks more than doing it as a return with an open jaw. It was something to do with taxes.
I haven't had issues with booking multi-city itinerary's like that. Have just clicked "Return from a different city" and it has worked fined. Although I do agree that the old multi-city tool was far greater. Proper seat selection and the ability to book partner airline flights without too much hassle. Liked how it was back-end software as well.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:22 am

Programs: NZ *E, Hilton Diamond, Marriot Bonvoy Gold, Amex Platinum, Accor Advantage Plus
IIRC the problem was that the old one would only let you book the cheapest fare available, usually Smart Saver. If you wanted to book anything else (gotta buy a fare that helps me keep my status), you couldn't do it. I haven't used the new one.
Old Oct 12, 2008, 12:03 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by davidrnz
IIRC the problem was that the old one would only let you book the cheapest fare available, usually Smart Saver. If you wanted to book anything else (gotta buy a fare that helps me keep my status), you couldn't do it.
I just waited until the cheap fares sold out, or choose a route with multiple flight options and pick the flight that is in the fare category you want (can later change to the exact flight you wanted). Worked for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.