Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Can you cancel only the return sector for a refund?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2008, 2:58 am
Original Poster

Just trying to interpret NZ fare rules, and looking for some help.

If I book a Global Saver outbound, and a Global Flexi inbound, can I cancel the inbound for a refund of that element after the outbound has commenced? i.e. Does "travel commences" refer to the itinerary, or the fare class sector?
Old Sep 28, 2008, 11:04 am

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by kiwibigdave
Just trying to interpret NZ fare rules, and looking for some help.

If I book a Global Saver outbound, and a Global Flexi inbound, can I cancel the inbound for a refund of that element after the outbound has commenced? i.e. Does "travel commences" refer to the itinerary, or the fare class sector?
it depends on a number of factors - NZ sell a lot of 'return' fares as 2 oneways rather than 2 1/2 returns - if this is being purchased as two oneways then theoretically if the second oneway is refundable you ought to be able to refund it . ( Please note that immigration considerations can also cloud this - eg if you have bought two oneways but you cannot prove that you have the legal right to stay in the destination country then the airline can still refuse to refund you because they then open themselves up to substantial fines from the country where you are illegally staying ) .

OTOH if the return is considered to be a combination of two 'half returns' then as a general rule the stricter conditions will apply to the entire ticket .

You really need to check the 'combinations' section of the rules of both fare types ( and be sure of your immigration status at your point of turnaround )

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.