Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

Can my luggage be checked all the way through on seperate tickets?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BMI

Hi all,

A bit of a newbie question. I'm flying NZ LHR-LAX. I'm thinking of adding a trip to SFO on and I wondered if I booked at ticket on Alaska Air now (Star Alliance as well I think) or any other airline for that matter, would I be able to:

1) Check my luggage all the way through?
2) Transfer or do I have to leave and return?

What do you think the min connection time would be as a result. Do you think if the flight is delayed, they would take the view that it's Star Alliance and therefore stick me on the next flight or will they just say tough luck. I'm flying C on NZ if it makes any difference.

Thanks

Jon
Old Oct 12, 2007, 4:59 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Alaska is not *A. Depending on airline and transfer time you should be able to through check bags (upon showing onward ticket at check in). However if transfer time is too short, Air NZ may be reluctant to through check.

On arrival at LAX all passengers must clear immigration. Other than pax continuing same plane service on to AKL all pax must collect checked bags and take through customs. You may then redeposit bags or check in for subsequent flights. At LAX this often involves a change of terminals.

When booking separate tickets you may be on your own if misconnect (airline is not obliged to do anything). Take this into account when choosing onward travel.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:07 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Hi There.

No, Alaska Airlines is not Star Alliance. Can you be more specific about the minimum connection times?. I presume if you are talking about the LAX LHR - since NZ has only one flight a day, they will put you on the following days flight.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 5:29 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Are you sure Kiwi Flyer? Only this April I took a NZ flight to HKG and continued to PVG with FM on separate tickets. The AKL check in agent refused to thru check my bags and explained that NZ's policy had changed at the end of 2006 to now only thru check bags on the same ticket regardless of *A partners or not.
Old Oct 12, 2007, 7:21 pm
Ambassador: Air New Zealand

Programs: NZ Elite, EK Gold, Qatar Gold, Amex Plat, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
My partner just thru-checked bags from WLG to BKK with separate tickets. NZ in WLG couldn't issue boarding pass for the TG AKL - BKK leg.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:10 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Further thought. Minimum connection times really only apply on single tickets - in that many airlines will prevent you from booking on one ticket a shorter connection (or forcibly rebook you on a longer connection or require passenger to sign a waiver for any misconnection responsibility). On separate tickets the airlines have no responsibility for misconnections and so no connection time is really safe, and it is up to pax as to what risk they feel comfortable taking on.
Old Oct 13, 2007, 6:11 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Are you sure Kiwi Flyer? Only this April I took a NZ flight to HKG and continued to PVG with FM on separate tickets. The AKL check in agent refused to thru check my bags and explained that NZ's policy had changed at the end of 2006 to now only thru check bags on the same ticket regardless of *A partners or not.
It has been a long time since I've checked bags so my comment isn't based on personal experience but rather what I've observed (eg when travelling with others who have checked bags).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.