Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

NZ5/6 reverting back to 777 from April 08??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2007, 12:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE

I am just looking at booking my March/April trip to LA and noticed that the NZ5/6 flights seem to have reverted back to the 777 from April 1. Is this true...does anyone know? I am just loath to spend the $$$ on PE and end up on a 777 with zero chance of an upgrade to BP!!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 3:32 am
DCF

Programs: Etihad Guest
Why don't you do what the rest of us do (even if we're going to SFO or YVR), namely book onto NZ1/2 AKL-LAX so that you know that it is a 747, and you've at least got 46 seats to upgrade into instead of 26 - you almost double your chances.

Better still, if you don't get your upgrade at least you're not in the horrendously narrow 777 economy-dressed-as-premium-economy seat.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:37 am
Original Poster

DCF

I thought of that...booking NZ1/2 but when i checked the NZs Aussie website only gave me 1 option, namely the NZ6 option which is the dreaded 777. Whereas I checked their New Zealand website and it has lots of seats. I might just ring NZ and see what the glitch is. Same thing happened last year and they fixed it very quickly.

The SYD AKL LAX sectors are fine but it's the return home on April 1 when they switch to the 777....lovely aricraft but not in PE, and fat chance of getting an upgrade!
Old Sep 26, 2007, 2:59 am

Seems to alternate dates between 777/744...
Old Sep 26, 2007, 3:25 am
Original Poster

B-HXB

Apparently, the 777 does NZ5/6 (my fav flights) during the April - October period.

Nonetheless, I will ring NZ in AKL in the next few days and get this sorted.

Updates to follow.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 3:46 am

I'm curious too since I am tossing up between booking NZ5 or NZ1 coming back from LAX in late April, so I did a search on Air NZ's booking engine for (I forget the dates, I think it was AKL-LAX 25 Apr and returning 26 Apr) - I think NZ6 on 25Apr showed 777 but NZ5 26Apr showed 744?
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:21 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines, CO Emeritus, United kettle, Ural Airlines Wings, Hilton, National
Is it just the Premium economy or are the regular economy on the 777 bad too? I just booked my mother on a 777 via Vancouver, but I guess I could change it.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: AA EP, UA 1K, DL GM, Tumlare Bussresor Super Class
Originally Posted by Derrico
Is it just the Premium economy or are the regular economy on the 777 bad too? I just booked my mother on a 777 via Vancouver, but I guess I could change it.
The 777 has 32 inches of pitch in regular economy; the 747 has 34 inches.
Old Sep 26, 2007, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Derrico
Both
The 777 has 32 inches between seats in economy
The 747 has 34 inches between seats in economy

Premium Economy
747 - Upper deck rows are 3-2 seating, 3 seats on the left, 2 on the right and the, on the main deck on the left 4 rows of 2 seats and very soon another 4 rows of 2 seats on the right. Both very small quiet cabins on the main deck and as always a nice upper deck

777 - Two rows of 3-3-3 seating on the main deck very small squashed cabin, basinnet positions in the first rows of premium economy and also in the first row of economy directly behind you. So a very good chance of having a baby just in front of you and right behind you.

For that reason many people avoid the 777 in economy and prem economy

Not sure what you can chanage it to, getting direct to Vancouver is alot easier than going via Los Angeles or San Fran
Old Sep 27, 2007, 12:34 am
Original Poster

Update

I rang res in AKL and explained the situation. The pleasant res agent checked and confirmed that NZ1 was available in PE - after having checked with the Internet staff at NZ. Made all the bookings on the spot with no service fee.

Apprently they are upgrading the mutli city function ex Aus to include the PE category.

Well at least i am spared flying the 777 in PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.