Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

First time on NZ. Was pleasantly impressed!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2006, 7:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

I just came back on NZ flights LHR-HKG-LHR this week, in economy. And I'd like to say that I was very pleasantly surprised at how good and smooth everything went. The cabin crew impressed me the most, with hourly water/juice runs in the cabin, the seats are comfortable and the food pleasant. Well out of LHR anyway. Out of HKG today was questionable. The AVOD was easy to navigate and best of all - no annoying videos of keeping your blood pressure going by rotating your shoulders or advertisements!

I didn't know that NZ has over 200 FAs based in LHR till today either.

All in all, I'd definitely fly NZ any day.. even over CX!

Last edited by Guy Betsy; Nov 26, 2006 at 2:45 am
Old Nov 26, 2006, 2:26 am

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
I just came back on NZ flights LHR-HKG-LHR this week, in economy. And I'd like to say that I was very pleasantly surprised at how good and smooth everything went. The cabin crew impressed me the most, with hourly water/juice runs in the cabin, the seats are comfortable and the food pleasant. Well out of LHR anyway. Out of HKG today was questionable. The AVOD was easy to navigate and best of all - no annoying videos of keeping your blook pressure going by rotating your shoulders or advertisements!

I didn't know that NZ has over 200 FAs based in LHR till today either.

All in all, I'd definitely fly NZ any day.. even over CX!
Whoa... that's a surprising post!
Old Nov 26, 2006, 3:15 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, Priority Club Blue, SPG Gold, Sofitel Gold, FB Ivory, BA Blue
Not at all surprising. NZ's economy product on the 747s is very good all round. I understand that CX is introducing a new economy product next year though (should be interesting).
Old Nov 26, 2006, 5:56 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
Originally Posted by Internaut
Not at all surprising. NZ's economy product on the 747s is very good all round. I understand that CX is introducing a new economy product next year though (should be interesting).
Okay... I'm intrigued.
Old Nov 26, 2006, 6:06 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Okay... I'm intrigued.
What part are you intrigued? NZ or CX? Or just the fact that Guy Betsy likes NZ over CX?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 1:28 am

Is the HKG run being operated by LHR-based flight attendants too?
Old Nov 27, 2006, 12:25 pm

Programs: QF Platinum (OW Emerald); QF Lifestime Silver; BD Diamond Club Gold (*A Gold)
Originally Posted by HKG_Flyer1
Whoa... that's a surprising post!
Aside from the point of it coming from Guy Betsy, (a CX loyalist/evangelist, therefore even more interesting), no. Of all the Y experiences I've come to enjoy as something of a distant memory (but - reality check - may yet to come to enjoy the benefits of again in the future), NZ has stood out as a consistently good Y product when benchmarked against equivalent offers from other carriers.

Unlike other carriers, my recollection is that NZ doesn't feel the need to punish its Y pax while lavishing its attention on those further forward.

As an airline should be IMO, in this age of the premium to economy equation simply being down to a better seat, (sometimes very marginally) better food and a FA who is instructed to smile more often when they're dealing with you.

The hop from Euroland to NZ (and vice-versa) is a long one and NZ outperforms in both Y and J IMO (sorry no experience of premium Y but consider it to be a con on whichever carrier it's offered on).

Thoughts on (admittedly first ever) J experience on NZ on same route are posted here

Last edited by virtualtroy; Nov 27, 2006 at 12:34 pm
Old Nov 27, 2006, 5:20 pm

Programs: NZ Elite, AC SE100K, Westjet Teal, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by virtualtroy

Unlike other carriers, my recollection is that NZ doesn't feel the need to punish its Y pax while lavishing its attention on those further forward.
This pretty much sums it up to me. NZ treats Y pax as customers, appears to genuinely care for their comfort, well being and overall travel experience.
Old Dec 3, 2006, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by B-HXB
Is the HKG run being operated by LHR-based flight attendants too?
Yes. There is quite a large LHR-based cabin crew assortment. Most are British as NZ landers are only allowed a 2 year stay in UK. The LHR based crew strictly fly the AKL routes via LAX and HKG.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.