Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premium Economy mini-Reviews

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:41 am

Programs: Hertz PC, QF Plat, Velocity Gold, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Well I would have to say it's doing well for Air NZ, I mean they expanded it on their 744 a few months ago.

Seems that bookings are pretty strong as well for the next few months.

Things can always be better, but at this stage (haven't flown it yet) the extra recline and 8inches of pitch when compared to 32inch is worth it.

I will make alot more comments in a few weeks once I have actually flown it

As for the cost being cheaper to the UK on Virgin Premium Economy, all fares are cheaper to the UK from Australia when compared to the USA from Australia.

Given that this is Air NZ's first go at Premium Economy I am very interested to see what they do with in the 787's.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by Ann Tyrol
Interesting comments so far re the seat - I found the 747 upstairs seat plenty wide enough (with my only minor niggle being that the AVOD handset is easily bumped if you leave it in the side of the seat.
However on the 777 your seat is the same width as economy. If they put in Premium Economy in a 2-4-2 configuration not only would every passenger only have to hop over a maximum of 1 person to get into the aisle, everyone would also have their own arm-rests.
Old Mar 12, 2007, 11:20 pm

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE
Anyone got any more reviews?. Will be flying SYD AKL LAX & vv in about 10 days with a review to follow.
Old Mar 13, 2007, 5:46 pm

Yes will do a review in the next day or so
Old Mar 16, 2007, 11:27 pm

Chalk me up as a big fan of Premium Economy on the 744 (a waste of time on the Tasman, of course although it offers a great alternative to Biz. As an experiment, I did my last LA trip up in Biz and back in PE, and arrived back in NZ feeling pretty good).

The only thing I notice is that the crew serving both Biz and PE are clearly rushed off their feet on full flights, and I fear for their sanity when the upcoming expansion of PE downstairs is complete..one FA I talked to on my last trip mentioned there were going to be changes to try and accomodate the increased passengers without any extra crew, such as using the trolleys in the cabin again as they used to do in the old Biz.
Old Mar 22, 2007, 8:43 pm

Programs: OnePass = Lifetime Silver
PE was great!

Just got back from an 8 week trip to NZ and OZ and I have to say being in PE on LAX-AKL and back was worth every cent! Yes the seats could have been a little wider but everything else was faultless. Food great, wine was flowing, service attentive.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 1:22 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Just flew LAX-AKL on NZ5 in PE (upstairs). Food great and plentiful, wine great, service somewhat rushed but friendly, seats OK but a step up from Economy. Worth the additional expense ... but - to echo the sentiment of an early poster here - seeing the lie flat seats up close creates a definite sense of envy. Saving the pennies and points to try one of those next time! ^

- AG
Old Mar 27, 2007, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

I've said it before but I'll say it again - I think it's great value, esp ex-HKG.

An economy ticket return HKG-AKL-HKG including all taxes is about HK$7k - $7.5k, but for any extra HK$3k (so only 1500 each way) you can get a quieter cabin (esp upstairs in 747), more legroom, and J class food and wine. I'm not counting priority boarding as a benefit, as by the time you count *GE, *G, BP, PE and KC, priority boarding still means you're in a fairly decent length queue. Priority disembarking is good though.

Since I rarely travel alone (I don't do any business travel) the privacy BP seats don't appeal to me. I don't usually get more than 3 hours sleep on these legs and the PE seat is fine for that - don't need a flat bed. Plus, the BP seat configuration is such that from what I have seen, if you want to talk to your flying companion you have to make sure you have a pretty flexible neck. Not for me - I found that the PE seats and service are on the money. Sounds like they are selling extremely well too.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:44 pm

Route / Plane AKL-LAX / 747. Deliberately chose NZ6 over NZ2 to get the 747 over the 777 and to sit upstairs. The two rows of 3-3-3 on the 777 still fail to provide any appeal whatsoever.
Day/Night flight NZ6 dep AKL 8pm ish. A short connection time so no time in the lounge. On time departure and arrival.
Seat No. (aisle / window / middle) 23A; port side window, second row back. Not my first choice, and not even in my top 10. Made worse by the antics of the clown in 24A; he couldn't stand without yanking on the seat back, and stretched his feet right out on the under-window lockers to recline which meant socks 30cm from my head and an occasional kick to my armrest.
Check in ok? As expected.
Seat comfort (width ok?) As expected, but I'll concur with other posters that it really would be nice if the seat was a little wider.
Legroom Fine for me, but that leg-rest remains totally useless.
Ease of getting in and out As expected.
Food Of 3 dinner choices only two were left by the time they got to row 23. Chose the lamb over the chicken and it was edible - nothing more. Breakfast of scrambled eggs / omelette was good.
Drink As expected.
FA attentiveness It's certainly obvious that they're pressed for time with serving the same meals to both upstairs cabins.
AVOD Watched the Borat movie - very funny. Slept most of the remaining time.
Would you do it again? Yes.
Fare $3,699 versus a minimum $2,399 available in E by the time I booked. Worth the extra $1,300? Not if it was coming out of my own pocket.

But of course the problem with having experienced again the higher quality that PE offers over E is that it's becoming my minimum expected standard! Was this PE experience great? No. Did it beat sitting downstairs? Oh yes . . .
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:03 pm

Route / Plane LAX-AKL / 747.
Day/Night flight NZ5 dep LAX 11pm ish. 3+ hours in the LAX Koru lounge after domestic connections. I like this lounge, though it was very full - especially of Virgin and Air France (?) pax.
Seat No. (aisle / window / middle) 25J; starboard side aisle, last row. If not in the bulkead row any J seat would be my preference - so I was more than happy. 25/26ABC contained a family comprising Grandma, Aunty, Mum and three toddlers; maybe 5, 3 and 18 months. All very well behaved and the toddlers appeared to sleep very well in those seats.
Check in ok? Very good. Checked bag was being connected, immigration card was taken at service centre in T2 gate pier, lounge dragon happily swapped my 23A pre-assignment for 25J.
Seat comfort (width ok?) Fine. Had pre-departure drink, then slept right through meal service until about 2.5 hours out.
Legroom Fine.
Ease of getting in and out No problems from aisle, chap in 25K only got out once.
Food Missed dinner. Breakfast was probably good - but not memorable.
Drink As expected.
FA attentiveness Very good. Had a wee chat with them before breakfast about the combined meal service. One wasn't looking forward to having more PE seats added with no likely increase in crew numbers.
AVOD Won $1m on WWTBAM.
Would you do it again? Yes.

As above, I like this class of service very much, and am not looking forward to ever having to go back to E on these 12 hour sectors.
Old Mar 27, 2007, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

...stretched his feet right out on the under-window lockers to recline which meant socks 30cm from my head and an occasional kick to my armrest.
This would have driven me insane. I would have repeatedly reached into the bins while he slept so he'd have to wake up and move his feet as often as possible.
Old Mar 28, 2007, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by Ann Tyrol
This would have driven me insane. I would have repeatedly reached into the bins while he slept so he'd have to wake up and move his feet as often as possible.
Happened to me on my last flight, luckily they did not smell and he looked comforatable so I couldn't bear to annoy him
Old Apr 10, 2007, 8:01 pm

Route / Plane AKL-LAX / 747. Deliberately chose NZ6 over NZ2 to get the 747 over the 777 The two rows of 3-3-3 on the 777 do not appeal at al.

Check in
At SYD was excellant for 767 across to AKL. Assigned BP and US Immigration card.

Day/Night flight NZ6 departed AKL an hour late and gate arrival problems at LAX but no drama as had no onward connections.

Seat No. (aisle / window / middle) 24K window. Loved the added pitch but thought the width was a bit tight. Storage bins was a real bonus.

Catering

Pre departured bubbly in plastic but glasses after departure. 3 choices but was so tired cannot recall what I had.
Breakfast of omelette was terrible but plenty of cereal and fruit.

FA's
Friendly but very busy indeed. 3rd FA from lower deck assisted during both meal services.

AVOD Watched the Breakfast at Tiffanys - very good. Slept most of the remaining time.

Would you do it again?

Most definently - well worth the money. It's pretty much J class without the lie flat bed. However, would not bother PE on the Trans Tasman.
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:47 am

Wink

Mr Sydney: Again you raise the same points that most people do, and I hope that Air NZ take note of this for future planning and the 787 I left very similar comments on their comment card they handed around during my last flight

The 3-3-3 seating on the 777 in Y+ is not worthwhile, cramped and not worth the extra $, as you said you deliberatly chose the 744 over the 777 for that reason

Seat width, not quite what you would expect in a premium econony seat, for me it was fine, but would have liked a bit wider

The crew are very busy now and yes the F/A from downstairs does come to help for meal service, I thought I may have dreamt that last time!

Pre-departure bubbly in plastic still, not really a huge fan of this, but still nice to have 2-3 glasses (yes managed to get a few refils) while waiting for the Y passengers to board

So Air NZ please take note of this, you are very good to respond to customers in the past and I know at least one person working there, who doesnt post on this forum but does read it

Change the 777 to
2-3-2 seating in Y+, increase width if possible
Lower the Y+ fare from MEL-YVR, there is no way that an extra $ 2477.40 which is basically double the fare can be justified on the 777. Even for that price in the 744 is a bit high.

Return Flights in $AUD:
MEL-YVR = Cheapest Economy Fare = $2202.36
MEL-YVR = Cheapest Premium Economy Fare = $4679.76
(112% extra for Y+)

MEL-LAX = Cheapest Economy Fare = $2082.96
MEL-LAX = Cheapest Premium Economy Fare = $3849.94
(84% extra for Y+)

A huge difference in the fares for these two routes
Y fare difference $119.40
Y+ fare difference $829.82

Sorry for the long post
Old Apr 11, 2007, 4:06 pm

AndDee

I was chatting to a couple of people at the LAX lounge and they were saying when flying PE they deliberately avoid the 777 for the above reasons. Plus the 777 has less FA's than on other airlines (not sure the exact figures). Have spoken to a few FAs and while they love the a/c, they say, there are not enough FA's.

I have noticed the AKL LAX AKL sector reverts back to a 744 for both flights from October. Good news for those flying PE to LAX but not so good for those flying to YVR.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.