Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air New Zealand | Air Points
Reload this Page >

New AP earning for partner airlines from 29/10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2006, 3:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: NZ Airpoints GE

Has anyone seen what the new earning rates will be effective 29/10. The latest Koru Review says the details are on the NZ website iut couldn't find anything.
Old Sep 28, 2006, 4:02 pm

Programs: NZ*G ELT, VA-G
Looks like nothing is got updated on their website including the London via Hong Kong bonus let alone partner offers. The current Budget offer isn't even Airpoints related. This is so pathetic. Someone should really get fired if you ask me.
Old Sep 29, 2006, 11:21 pm

Loyalty programs head John Whittaker moved on to another position many months earlier this year.
Old Oct 9, 2006, 2:56 pm

Has anybody seen any more concrete details of the new earning rates? Any big shocks?

Just sitting down to book things for Nov/Dec and wondering whether to keep crediting to airpoints, use some more oneworld or switch to another * scheme. Hard to know which path to choose when things could change a whole lot!

Might just let price rather than any loyalty drive me for a couple of months and see what happens.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:29 pm

The new earning details are online now. Looks like the changes only apply to routes from NZ to Asia and Europe. Air NZ does not want members to fly partner airlines on routes they fly themselves. Another airline first I believe.
Old Oct 12, 2006, 2:35 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by Xiaotung
Another airline first I believe.
Nothing new there. Back when TG flew trans-tasman the earning on TG was something like a half the earning on NZ, for NZ airpoints members (comparing the same paid class).
Old Oct 12, 2006, 3:18 pm

Programs: QFWP (LTSG), NZ (Jade), TG ROP (Forgotten), OZ (Silver), AA (Cardboard), EK (Lowest of the Low)
So does that mean flying to SIN would earn the regular points? I think not. NZ is ripping its members off who take advantage of being in the *A, they claim they have codeshares but you cannot access them eg internet and they are ridiculously overpriced, I asked a TA.
Airpoints is only good for those members who fly on NZ aircraft and pay the premium prices, also they are reasonably generous for domestic NZ flights that are point to point, but not for multiple flights in one day. I am glad that I have an alternate *A program for my long hauls, which NZ have a top product :-: , but use Airpoints for NZ domestic as ROP will only credit the actual miles no minimum miles guarantee.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 12:10 am

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
I had a look today at the AU changes, and they aren't too bad. The decrease is only on routes that NZ flies on.

The exception being Europe to Asia. If you go Europe to BKK, NRT, SIN or any other place that NZ doesn't fly, you only pick up 95 Aussie Airbucks compared to 125 that you use to get. I guess on RTW - these legs will now go to another airline.

The rest of the changes are NZ to Asia, NZ to Europe (NZ Flight Numbers)

Australia to Asia stays at 150 Aussie Airbucks - so no devalue there.

Singapore to KL - first class still stays at 55 aussie Airbucks - the best value out there.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 1:54 am

Programs: QF WP, NZ G
The drop from 125 down to 95 for Asia to Europe on Star alliance (business) does not look good. The AirNZ earnings is 300. Talk about 'encouraging' the use of AirNZ planes out of HongKong to London for us Australians in AirPoints.

I never understood why Australia to Asia earnt more than Asia to Europe. Now the difference is quite marked. The distance out of Australia is less and one still has to use a Star alliance plane.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 2:59 am

Programs: SQ *G, QF S, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Accor Advantage Platinum
Originally Posted by Buzz53
The drop from 125 down to 95 for Asia to Europe on Star alliance (business) does not look good. The AirNZ earnings is 300.
The chart that I looked at
http://www.airnewzealand.com.au/airp...accrual_au.htm

Has Asia to Europe at 95 for Non NZ and 155 for NZ flights. (This is Aussie Airbucks not NZ Airbucks).

If you did Asia to Middle East (145) then Middle East to Europe (145) you could earn 3 times the amount going direct. Then another 35 within Europe. Or 160 from Europe to Africa, and another 160 Africa to Asia. Distance doesn't seem to count.

It doesn't add up that AKL to LAX where the only Star player is Air NZ, that it hasn't changed from earning 225. So much for earning more when flying NZ on tickets with a star partner on it.

All Business of course.
Old Oct 30, 2006, 5:34 pm

Thanks Gotta Requalify

This is interesting. When you look at the following, you earn 300 for business, Asia to London.

http://www.airnz.com.au/airpoints/ea...accrual_au.htm

Perhaps the 155 is when you combine AirNZ with another Star carrier for internal Euro flights.

Be nice to see it clarified what the earnings really are!!
Old Sep 25, 2007, 6:41 pm

Programs: AirNZ Gold Elite + a bunch of nothings thanks to covid
A question for all the Airpoints $ experts out there:

We booked and flew this itinerary with Air NZ (booked through a travel agent):

CHC-AKL-SFO/LAX-AKL-CHC, with the domestic portions in economy & the international portions in PE. This was ticketed and issued with one booking reference/PNR etc.

I separately booked some internal domestic USA flights (UA & US), on the airline's respective websites, which were credited to our NZ ff accounts. These were entirely separate itineraries, with different record locators/PNR's.

Would the mixed airline rate apply to all travel (even though separate itineraries), or would we earn the NZ portion at usual NZ rates, with the UA/US flights credited separately as per the partner chart?

The website doesn't make this clear, and uses several different terms that make it hard to pin down: "itinerary", "travel" and "journey".

Any ideas?
Cheers
Old Sep 25, 2007, 7:20 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Past experience posted by others is NZ will treat it all as one trip if the USA domestic flights are not too many days away from the flights to/from USA, thus mixed airline rates apply. This itin in total may well be lower earning than just the NZ flights - thus may be better off crediting your USA domestic flights to another FFP.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Past experience posted by others is NZ will treat it all as one trip if the USA domestic flights are not too many days away from the flights to/from USA, thus mixed airline rates apply. This itin in total may well be lower earning than just the NZ flights - thus may be better off crediting your USA domestic flights to another FFP.
You can call to explain that they are booked separately though. They will adjust straightaway. Works every time.
Old Sep 25, 2007, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by Gotta Requalify

If you did Asia to Middle East (145) then Middle East to Europe (145) you could earn 3 times the amount going direct. Then another 35 within Europe. Or 160 from Europe to Africa, and another 160 Africa to Asia. Distance doesn't seem to count.

All Business of course.
Thought I just re-check on this. I will be going to Zurich early next year. I can earn 880 points if I fly *A business MEL-BKK-DXB-ZRH, return the same way. One can substitute SIN for BKK.
All I need to do is find a fare for this which is around the same cost as a direct MEL-BKK-ZRH return (earning only 490 points).
Won't maintain GE, but a trip like this once every year will maintain G status.
I guess I could also look at a RTW as a *A business price is fairly good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.